Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

How much longer are we gonna persist with Drinkwater?

Yeah, he doesn't look fit or confident - and he's the ultimate confidence player it seems. Carried us for the first couple of months of the campaign in all and looked about the only one arsed. Genuinely wouldn't surprise me if the Euro drop affected him.

However, I don't and never will buy that Kante 'covered his arse' - obviously playing alongside him in a two would make life alot easier but I think that's doing a massive disservice to someone we all know is a quality footballer on his day, and is the type of ignorant nonsense prats called something like @SansutCazozil would spout on social media.

Write this season off, give him a proper pre-season and let him go at it next year next to Wilf. On his day, he's one of the best in the league, he's proven that.

Don't think the tactics helped him or Ndidi tonight. They both work so hard to win the ball back and when they eventually do, there is nobody to pass to. Ulloa and Vardy are 30 yards up the pitch. They were trying to pass it forwards but with so little option ahead Arsenal get the ball straight back, it's either try and pass it or hoof it. Against teams that keep good possession we need to play 3 in the midfield, so when we do get the ball we can try and keep hold of it and take the pressure off us defensively. 

Takes him a painful amount of time to release the ball when we go forward. Yesterday he wasn't helped by a lack of options/movement in front of him but he's been poor for six months now. He's been barely any better under Shakespeare than he was in Ranieri's last few months.

Strikes me as a very obvious and probably pretty easy place for an upgrade in the summer.

I agree, he definitely had a better game last night.

His defensive work was much better and made some critical challenges.

That said, his "creativity" work was nowhere to be seen.

I'm fairly sure he had to be defensive because Ndidi was lost for most of the night, but Drinkwater's passing was typical of this season, bobbins. 

HIs position cannot be carried for much longer, its such a vital area that's not performing at all well. 

I'm not saying get rid, we just need another option in his spot and it will be resolved in the summer. 

Been poor recently, but looks to me like its a confidence issue. He looks afraid to turn with the ball and find a simple pass. Last year you'd feel confident seeing Drinkwater on the ball, this season he doesn't even seem to be able to do the simple things.

Not going to write him off or anything stupid, the lads a quality player on his day and probably the best central midfielder we've had in a while. I'm sure he'll be back next season.

I suspect I'm about to be shot down in flames, and for what its worth I am a big fan of DD, who I suspect is still carrying some sort of injury, but he is possibly our least effective player at the moment, he is taking 2-3 touches and going nowhere most of the time and constantly going backwards, sideways or losing possession cheaply, and constantly missing relatively easy balls to release Vardy. DD and Mahrez are weak links in the team at the moment and both should be dropped, but DD isn't being as there is no competition for his place.

The reality is that DD was third choice behind a fully fit James/Cambiasso, before James got injured,...so why do we not recall a fully fit, sharp Matty James back from Barnsley and stick him in for the last 3-4 games to see if he can still perform at a high level in the Premier League, giving DD a break as he is miles off his best and looks like his confidence is shot?

King is a great servant but time to go, he is at best a squad member, and James may be an upgrade on both King and DD, he was ahead of them both pre-injury!

A fully fit Drinkwater, with confidence back and a good pre-season will see him back to his best, but we do need a significant upgrade in midfield for next season, why do we not at least give James the chance to show what he can do again...assuming we can recall him obviously!

Even if we cant recall James I would rather see Amartey start ahead of DD at present, he is an upgrade on what were currently seeing.

I hate myself for saying it but Drinky has become a liability. I was having a conversation at The Emirates last night saying that it's gone beyond a "bad patch" as this form has lasted months. What I really don't understand is how he's lost all ability with the football. I thought he tracked well and won the ball last night, but is incapable of playing a pass or even spotting a simple opportunity to move forward. I wonder if this is impacting Ndidi too, as others have said, he hasn't been on the money recently.

Pearson called Drinkwater a complex character and it shows at times like this. He seems like quite a negative personality who beats himself up too much when playing badly. The result is these prolonged periods of poor form.

Luckily, a summer break might reset him and maybe we'll see a much improved Drinkwater next season.

It is, however, a vital role within our system and we can't be doing with these long periods of poor form. We need to strengthen here in the summer.

Clearly he's been struggling with an injury yet is prepared to put himself on the line every week and do a job for the cause because obviously the management think it's a better option that the alternatives we have.

He doesn't pick the team! He's asked to do a job and he does it. 

Maybe just maybe we should be praising this guy for his commitment not slate him when there have been other worse players on the pitch than him this season. 

He made himself unavailable for the last 3 England squads while he rested up.

And last night? I thought he was one of our best players on the pitch. 

We are definitely a worse team without him carrying an injury or not.

Get the problem resolved in the summer and I'm sure we will see the Drinky we know. Class player and we are lucky to have him. 

25 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

Clearly he's been struggling with an injury yet is prepared to put himself on the line every week and do a job for the cause because obviously the management think it's a better option that the alternatives we have.

He doesn't pick the team! He's asked to do a job and he does it. 

Maybe just maybe we should be praising this guy for his commitment not slate him when there have been other worse players on the pitch than him this season. 

He made himself unavailable for the last 3 England squads while he rested up.

And last night? I thought he was one of our best players on the pitch. 

We are definitely a worse team without him carrying an injury or not.

Get the problem resolved in the summer and I'm sure we will see the Drinky we know. Class player and we are lucky to have him. 

Post of the week, if I could like this multiple times I would.

It's well documented he's carrying an injury and it's bad enough to pull out of England squads. He was one of our "big five" players in last season's title win and if he's injury free next season our central midfield will compete with anyone's next season.

Literally, what other options have we got? Mendy is never fit, King isn't good enough to hold down a first team place, James is on loan, Amartey..well we still don't know HIS best position (has he got one?)

It's pretty much Drinkwater or nothing. Again, this goes back to our terrible transfer business over the summer, where we signed Mendy, Musa and Slim in the same window.

:nigel:

we need to keep playing him as we have no one else as creative in midfield as him and no one with as much experience within the midfield as him, we look to him to run the midfield and the younger players around him should be doing the running and the donkey work while he sprays the passes around and gets the midfield motoring.he's the most experienced midfielder within the team so when he plays bad it affects the whole midfield!. 

Archived