Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Drinkwater says farewell

8 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I'd be quite suprised to see him address Leicester fans and club with such affection to be honest.

Not so surprised given we gave him abd his teammates the greatest win of their lives 2 years ago

9 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

It's a pretty standard statement. If the Ox had put up exactly the same words no one would have batted an eyelid. 

Probably because I have zero affection for Ox or Arsenal and he's achieved sod all with them.

Good old Drinky. Wish him well, feels like he's a big part of our revival this decade that's just left, didn't feel like this about someone leaving since Nuge (Kanté was sad but he left when we were PL champions so we'd already made it in a sense)

Thanks for your good committed performance and all the best at CFC

He's been fantastic for us although maybe not at his best this season! he has lead the midfield and will always be remembered fondly for his contributions to the foxes cause over the years. I really hope he doesn't end up in Chelsea's reserves and being a bench warmer!

26 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

it's not like Danny fell over half-way through a match and refused to play ala Hazard at Chelsea two seasons ago. 

The club clearly new about Drinkwater's plans to move on and they probably decided together that it wasn't right for him to keep playing in the lead up to a possible big money move hence the 'injured' thing to keep it on the low. 

I very much doubt he rang in one morning and was like "sorry Shakes, my leg hurts, I can't play anymore". We'd have had him on a ****ing physio table and called bullshit on it.

I hear that but he could have been said to be fit enough to be on the bench which would have been perfect for the emirates late on.  had we brought him on instead of amartey we may have held out. if he plays next week then he has clearly been in full training and the injury was a ruse. if he has been injured he surely cant be match fit next week

We ain't half got some bitter sods on here lol

I suspect having to play through injury last year due to lack of depth, and missing opportunities with the national squad have left a sour taste, maybe he could see the same happening this year. Or maybe he just wanted the step up in his career he deserved.

Pro footballers have what 10-15 years shelf life on the pitch, and you're all kidding yourself if you think if you walked in those shoes you wouldn't maximise your possibilities too, we all would.

Danny's not a world beater of a midfielder, he's a very good midfielder, and he was every bit as crucial to what we've achieved recently as anyone else I can think of. For that, he gets my unwaivering appreciation and respect, he's earnt it.

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I hear that but he could have been said to be fit enough to be on the bench which would have been perfect for the emirates late on.  had we brought him on instead of amartey we may have held out. if he plays next week then he has clearly been in full training and the injury was a ruse. if he has been injured he surely cant be match fit next week

But maybe the club didn't want him on the bench? If Rudkin and co. thought there was legs in him leaving to Chelsea and it was inevitable would they have risked him on the bench against Arsenal? If they had even the slightest feeling he would be going for £35m then I'm surprised they didn't stick him in bubble-wrap and pop him in a storage locker from the start of the season. Drinkwater being 'injured' doesn't necessarily mean he chose that line of excuse - maybe it was a decision by Shakey, Rudkin and Danny? 

Drinky has been fantastic for us and I love the bloke but this is a difficult one to swallow. 

He has been a brilliant professional and that teammates video of him and Vards at England was a proud highlight for me. Two players/friends at the peak of their game on the back of an incredible PL title for us representing England.

The way he has gone about this is cvntish though and seeing him follow in Kante's footsteps is both disappointing and frustrating. More so in this instance because I don't see him starting 30 odd games a season, but no-one can deny it is a step up for him. 

I just think it's a shame because we could be contenders for Europe again this season if things go well.

I'm pissed off, but I won't hold it against him for too long.

Thanks for everything Danny, I hope your arse doesn't get too many splinters.

image.png

Fair play but i'm sure he's been advised to do that rather than it being off his own back just like he was (poorly) advised to kick up a storm and end his LCFC career.

Perhaps i'm being contradictory, hypocrytical but I was all for letting him go last week for a rumoured £40m, but the way he handled it throwing a transfer request in to force a move through made me lose abit of respect for him, i'm sure he won't lose any sleep over that though, we move on.

If memory serves me correctly didn't DD want to leave around 2014/15 when he wasn't getting as much game time as he wanted. Even though the mode of his departure hasn't been great, given the money we got and the replacement (hopefully Silva), I bear no grudge. Wish him all the best.

Give him some respect. He has spent 5 years at the club, helped us to two league titles and quater final of the CL. No one on the planet would turn down a pay rise and a chance to play Champions league again. He has also provided the club with a hefty profit on their investment. Good luck drinky.

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

It's not just about DD or his words, it's about the breaking up of a group of legends. Each time one goes, it's another step away from the greatest moment in our history and many of our lives. I want to hold onto that moment forever. 

It's only Kante and Drinkwater who have gone really.

We've replaced them with a 3 times Europa League winner in Iborra and a Euros winner in Silva (touch wood).

Compared to other clubs like Southampton who enjoy a bit of success we are doing very well in retaining our 'legends' and replacing them with adequate players of possibly equal or better quality.

LCFC will roll on.

Archived