Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cityfanlee23

Thoughts on Dyche?

Thoughts on dyche?  

434 members have voted

1. 1. What is your general thought on Dyche as an all round manager?

• Generally Positive (would welcome here)
    • Generally Negative (pick someone else)

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

He'd represent absolutely no indication we are interested in changing things massively at our club but then what do we expect? It's quite clear there's no rational reason for the owners faith in the executives and directors but nothing is done, at best we might get a new head of recruitment but there's no way Chodkin is going or his yes men in the academy. So in that sense Dyche represents a half decent appointment as he is a builder within the constraints placed on him, he plays a similar style of shit football that we do and will maximize effort and effectiveness from players that buy in to his way of working. 

You could see him slotting in and doing ok but you could also see him being a disaster and out within 6 months and his momentum as a manager in tatters. 

Why change things drastically if you don't have to? People bum Silva, but he played a 442 counter attack at Hull and plays 442 at Watford.

The issue is not knowing how to play it, not the formation and style itself. 

Dyche and him would fit like a glove here, and would mean evolution not revolution.

7 hours ago, desertfox2 said:

Our biggest problem since the title win has been recruitment and not buying the right players to keep improving. He doesn't have experience with the kind of budgets that we will be able to offer. We need someone that is not only good tactically and a good man manager but also good in the transfer market. The last thing we need is to be buying more average players. That being said, he may well be the best we can get to come to us. 

No question he has done a very good job at Burnley on a tight budget. But clearly the owners want us to be a side challenging for Europe or they wouldn't sack the manager every time we drop in the bottom 3. They are also willing to put in the money as we've seen, albeit, it's been wasted. Can Dyche bring in the quality that would be able to challenge top 6 or top 8? Probably not. 

The owners want Europe because the sack the manager when we get into the bottom three?

Or perhaps they just don't want to be relegated and want stability in this league as they've actually repeated numerous times.

Someone who gets results by not spending loads sounds a positive to me. 

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

Why change things drastically if you don't have to? People bum Silva, but he played a 442 counter attack at Hull and plays 442 at Watford.

The issue is not knowing how to play it, not the formation and style itself. 

Dyche and him would fit like a glove here, and would mean evolution not revolution.

Because there's still the significant problem that we've spent over £100 million on players not suited to 4-4-2 or at least not suited to how we play it. Can Dyche shoehorn in the 2-3 strikers, make the midfield creative and get the full backs providing support out wide? If our recruitment team are going to keep signing players that appear suited to possession based football then whoever comes in needs to have that philosophy otherwise we're going round in circles.

There are many factors at play, and part of this calamity is that we've become too reliant on one tactic - the counter attack. We've clearly tried to bring players in to give us a second approach - i.e. being more comfortable on the ball and it hasn't really worked. I wonder if the squad and a resistance to change is partially u blame for this? Lots of vested interests at stake, and in a strong squad who contribute to tactics etc that may be an issue in not integrating these possess based players in?

A good side should be able to play both styles though. High time someone came in - like a Dyche - to break our mould. We are too predictable, and if that requires shipping out a few of the senior pros then so be it. A strong character, and not some famous sap who carries on with the status quo. We could do far worse than Dyche imo, and I'm warming to him.

Good football clubs evolve. We haven't.

I think Dyche has found his club with Burnley a bit like Howe at Bournemouth. Both are used to working on a shoestring budget

Its his get out of jail card "we haven't got the pound notes other clubs have"

Rava or Brendan Rodgers for me IF they would come.

Its sad but I can't see anyone wanting to come here at the moment

13 hours ago, Ricey said:

Putting his grating media presence to one side, it doesn't make sense tactically.

Jonathon Northcroft said on Twitter earlier "Dyche would bring many 2015/16 ingredients: motivation, strong squad culture, 'winning underdog' mentality, superb fitness, aggressive 4-4-2". But in theory Shakespeare should, and perhaps was already, bringing those ingredients. Motivation, togetherness, aggression, 4-4-2 etc are all already there. What has been our issue this season has been breaking teams down and keeping possession when we have needed to.

Sean Dyche isn't typically the type of manager to turn to to solve those issues. If he becomes our manager it is likely he'll stick to the 4-4-2 that he knows, which as we have learnt over the last few months, is no longer a system that suits the midfielders we have.

Our system has become stale. Ranieri tried and tried to bring it back to life, but failed. Shakespeare the same. Why hire another manager who is likely to persist with the same old style.

Shakespeare could and should have brought the non 442 ingredients to the squad but couldn’t.

Ranieri did, so could someone else. 

His style of play depends on the players he has.  He has started to improve the quality of player after staying up and is playing more football this season, but will go direct when needed.  He is also signing players that allow him to change formation instead of being just 442. He does his homework on the opposition and every player knows his job with round pegs in round holes.  Everyone has said how good he is to work for as he knows how to treat people.  He has a thing about everything being aligned and working in the same direction from the club through to the supporters.  Big on old fashioned values and you won't see any of his players walking round with headsets on, like most have getting of coaches.  He demands maximum effort and has, possibly, the fittest team in the country.  Every player that comes in says they have never been as fit and they dread manager's day.  The problems are that he is old school and believes the manager should pretty much run the club and choose his players which he won't get at Leicester, and being given time to sort the team out. It took 6 months to sort Burnley out as players need a pre season with him to be 'Dyche fit'. Will he be given time is the question?  He only works about 3 days a week so has plenty of time with his family.  Being nearer he would probably be in every day so would end up with less family time.  It would be a risk for him as he probably has a job for life at Burnley after what he has done but he might fancy the challenge.

Not sure about him to be honest - doesn't seem much different than a NP type of manager, and not a big fan of him given the swipes he's taken at us in the past. If we're going to go for a young manager who's got a proven track record of keeping teams in the league and paying attractive, attacking football, then why not approach Eddie Howe? Seems to be stagnating at Bournemouth a bit, and would certainly be better paid and have more resources at his disposal here.

I am not convinced he's the right man for us. Done brilliant at Burnley, they have a solid base, but he's going to be just as defensive as Shakespeare was. Coupled with the fact he seems quite intelligent and I couldn't see him risking a perfect job at Burnley to come here.

Gets the best out of his players and that is what we need right now.  We have a half decent squad there that needs some direction.  He won't need to tinker the way we play too much and would quickly gain the respect of the players if you read about him.  Whether he would come or not is another matter.  I couldn't care less whether he is gravelly voiced or not.  We need a leader to lead, a thing we haven't really had since NP.  How we ever won the league with the rudderless management of the club is baffling. 

23 minutes ago, Callabinho said:

I think Rafa would come... convince me that he is actually happy to be at Newcastle.....

Newcastle are a bigger club. They are currently 9th. Their oaf of an owner is selling up, probably to a much better owner (not difficult) - Why would he come to a smaller club in the bottom 3 with potentially less budget if they do get the mega rich owner they want? It makes no sense for him to quit there for us.

I don't think Silva would leave Watford after their good start either. 

I think Dyche is the only current Premier League manager that would come here. Be interesting to see what he says in the media when next interviewed. 

3 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

Not sure about him to be honest - doesn't seem much different than a NP type of manager, and not a big fan of him given the swipes he's taken at us in the past. If we're going to go for a young manager who's got a proven track record of keeping teams in the league and paying attractive, attacking football, then why not approach Eddie Howe? Seems to be stagnating at Bournemouth a bit, and would certainly be better paid and have more resources at his disposal here.

He would fit in as he really knows how to waste money.

11 hours ago, bmouth_fox said:

Are people aware that Ian Woan is his assistant at Burnley? Ex Forest. That would be hard to swallow 

Are you aware our captain Wes Morgan played for Forest?

10 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

I would be OK having either here. I think both are a safe pair of hands in terms of staying in the division. 

For some reason I think Dyche might be a better fit for us, but I would probably be more excited with the prospect of Howe and his brand of football. 

If we approach and both turn us down then we are a lot less attractive than I thought :unsure:

Think I would have preferred sticking with Shakespeare than ending up with Pardew or Coleman!

4 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

I would be OK having either here. I think both are a safe pair of hands in terms of staying in the division. 

For some reason I think Dyche might be a better fit for us, but I would probably be more excited with the prospect of Howe and his brand of football. 

If we approach and both turn us down then we are a lot less attractive than I thought :unsure:

Think I would have preferred sticking with Shakespeare than ending up with Pardew or Coleman!

We don't want Pardew or Coleman simply because they are available. We want the right bloke and neither of those two are imo.

If we were a team lacking organisation, lacking togetherness and shipping goals, then yes, I would want Sean Dyche. But we are not. Togetherness, motivation and organisation are already instilled within this squad, Shakespeare had no problems providing that.

Shakespeare was sacked because he seemed to lack the tactical nous to break teams down and change games. We should be looking towards managers that are predominately tacticians.

However, if the media is to be believed we want a disciplinarian, you know, because that worked out so wonderfully for Ranieri last season.

2 minutes ago, Ricey said:

If we were a team lacking organisation, lacking togetherness and shipping goals, then yes, I would want Sean Dyche. But we are not. Togetherness, motivation and organisation are already instilled within this squad, Shakespeare had no problems providing that.

Shakespeare was sacked because he seemed to lack the tactical nous to break teams down and change games. We should be looking towards managers that are predominately tacticians.

However, if the media is to be believed we want a disciplinarian, you know, because that worked out so wonderfully for Ranieri last season.

I think it's pretty hard to argue that Dyche isn't a technical manager.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/10/13/sean-dyche-englands-diego-simeone/

That article gives a good indication.

8 minutes ago, Ricey said:

You think the players look motivated and organised? I don't.

7 hours ago, Babylon said:

The same sort of hypocrisy I've been pointing out all season.

"we're too defensive"

"Burnley are getting points against teams, Do what they are doing" despite the fact they've generally been way more defensive than we have.

People who've pointed to Burnley all season now turning their nose up at the person in charge of Burnley, unreal.

So you'd be ok with Dyche, but you think we'd play more negatively than we are at the moment?

Sorry, that just doesn't add up. We are the most negative side in the league, firstly. I don't believe anyone is more negative than us, we are horrendous. You couldn't possibly win games playing this negatively. You need to be a threat going forwards.

I'm struggling to see which games you think we've tried to score goals and force the issue in, Arsenal aside? Don't say Liverpool, it's no good once you're already 2 goals down.

Archived