Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

Dogs

Admiring a  lovely dog today , very energetic obviously pedigree too ,

looked a bit pointerish /  small doberman type . . . simply had to ask the owner about it.

Apparently it was a Hungarian vizsla , are these common ?

is anyone on ft lucky enough to own one.?

Not had a dog myself since I left home ( always kept border terriers ).

Bitch  ( geddit ) of a wife won't have one and daughters are highly allergic anyway so  chance of owning anything in near future is out of the question.

As I've got older tend to miss the walks and companionship more

Edited by woollett the bullet
bad grammer

Dog tip.   When looking at a serbaceous cyst on a dogs back, in the sunshine using a magnifying glass ...   be careful how you hold the magnifying glass ...   otherwise the sun refracts through it and unbeknownst to you burns the dog ...   and boy will that dog let you know !!! ....    :)

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Dog tip.   When looking at a serbaceous cyst on a dogs back, in the sunshine using a magnifying glass ...   be careful how you hold the magnifying glass ...   otherwise the sun refracts through it and unbeknownst to you burns the dog ...   and boy will that dog let you know !!! ....    :)

I feel bad,I laughed quite loudly.

2 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

People who buy pedigree dogs... why?

Why not just get a rescue mutt?

Been having this debate myself. Planning on getting a dog later this year. I'd love to get a rescue dog, but I couldn't guarantee my young niece and nephew would be safe with it. Heard far too many stories of rescue dogs being mistreated and becoming violent. I'm leaning toward getting a puppy and training it. 

Although I'd happily be convinced otherwise. Just not quite there. 

1 minute ago, Innovindil said:

Been having this debate myself. Planning on getting a dog later this year. I'd love to get a rescue dog, but I couldn't guarantee my young niece and nephew would be safe with it. Heard far too many stories of rescue dogs being mistreated and becoming violent. I'm leaning toward getting a puppy and training it. 

Although I'd happily be convinced otherwise. Just not quite there. 

Fair enough concerns, a "good" rescue organisation should be able to guide you and ensure they have a history of the dogs they have and what their good n bad are. 

To be fair, you dont know for sure about what you get as a puppy either.

I hope at least youll talk to a rescue organisation or two... especially if you are prepared to wait, they can very often find what you need/want.

• Like 1

It comes down to how much you want a specific breed and how much you want a puppy I guess.  The fact is you never know the health and behavioral outlook without knowing the breeder, the parents and raising from a up so you know the environmental aspects.  If I am going to put a dog (let alone a big one) with my kids I need to know all of that.

That said I have had rescue's in the past and they have been wonderful dogs, but that was without young kids in the house.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Fair enough concerns, a "good" rescue organisation should be able to guide you and ensure they have a history of the dogs they have and what their good n bad are. 

To be fair, you dont know for sure about what you get as a puppy either.

I hope at least youll talk to a rescue organisation or two... especially if you are prepared to wait, they can very often find what you need/want.

Sorry Oz, I had to finish my post abruptly as the door bell went! Just wanted to expand, I’ve had 2 rescue dogs, one worked out and one didn’t, he didn’t because he would try and bite my then girlfriends much younger sister and not in a playful manner, not his fault, most likely down to the muppet who had him first.

I now have 2 young retrievers having had one before as well, there aren’t many of this breed in rescue centres and those that are usually get adopted straight away, having visited Wymeswold Dog Trust recently it would appear to be the same sort of breeds in there. 

There are are pros and cons I guess just happy with the choice I made. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Our labrador is both mine and the missus first dog. We had discussed the idea of rescuing but with training and handling new to us it was too much of a risk. Now we've had the dog 4 years and understand much better how their minds work, we'd be much more inclined to rescue if we were to get another one

• Like 3

I wouldn’t get a rescue dog whilst already having young kids but we rescued my dog before and he was a pup then too. I’ve done a fair bit of voluntary work for the dogs trust over the last 15 years and regularly donate too, how anyone can be cruel to mans best friend is beyond me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

It comes down to how much you want a specific breed and how much you want a puppy I guess.  The fact is you never know the health and behavioral outlook without knowing the breeder, the parents and raising from a up so you know the environmental aspects.  If I am going to put a dog (let alone a big one) with my kids I need to know all of that.

That said I have had rescue's in the past and they have been wonderful dogs, but that was without young kids in the house.

You never know the health of a puppy either. After a year my dog starting having seizures and if anything this could lead me to not getting a puppy in the future because certain illnesses develop over time.

3 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Some people are utter cvnts... This boy is one we are working with at the moment

Image may contain: dog

No automatic alt text available.

rumour is, he was used as a bait dog for fights, was amongst the worst conditioned dogs weve ever had.

Humans eh

Edit - This is him two months later :)

No automatic alt text available.

Yeah, he definitely doesn’t have the “I’m sitting on this ****ing table whether you like it or not, otherwise I’ll eat your balls” look about him at all.

• Haha 1

On 25/06/2018 at 14:51, ozleicester said:

For showing :D 

And tbh i love Danes they are just the most adorable loving gentle giants. Very sad though that with these and alot of the giant breeds, they have such a short life span. 

On 24/06/2018 at 19:53, woollett the bullet said:

Admiring a  lovely dog today , very energetic obviously pedigree too ,

looked a bit pointerish /  small doberman type . . . simply had to ask the owner about it.

Apparently it was a Hungarian vizsla , are these common ?

is anyone on ft lucky enough to own one.?

Not had a dog myself since I left home ( always kept border terriers ).

Bitch  ( geddit ) of a wife won't have one and daughters are highly allergic anyway so  chance of owning anything in near future is out of the question.

As I've got older tend to miss the walks and companionship more

I don't but I have friends who have two Viszlas. They're lovely dogs.

• Thanks 1

Too hot for my boys ...  thats the trouble with those thick fur coats ...  just cant take them off !!       Hosing them down twice a day or, if we pass a pond, chucking em in.     Walks early or later in the evening ...    

41 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Too hot for my boys ...  thats the trouble with those thick fur coats ...  just cant take them off !!       Hosing them down twice a day or, if we pass a pond, chucking em in.     Walks early or later in the evening ...    

I know what you mean, my dogs are suffering. Always take them for a walk when the last World Cup game finishes.