Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

Should we cash in?

Problem is there’s nobody out there currently who would do the job Vardy does for us. We’re the perfect side for him, we play to his strengths.

As for Mahrez there isn’t anyone of his calibre we could get in. We would need two players who would have to hit the ground running for us to replace them both.

If either of them left now we would be well and truly fvcked imo.

would let vardy go for 40 but not mahrez, not even for 80 million!

we can live without vardy (believe it or not). but not without riyad. the 2015-2016 game vs everton, last year vs west ham and the last game vs southampton proved that the team can preforme without vards, while we struggle to creat anything against championship and league 1 sides

I tend to agree with Costock too. It all comes down to if we can get replacements and attract players. Our post-Walsh recruitment has yielded Maguire, Ndidi, Iborra and perhaps Silva. These are good players but hardly in the same league as Vardy and Mahrez. I'd wait until the summer at least. If we again get European football we'll establish ourselves a bit more to attract world class players and hopefully improve on our recruitment.

• Like 1

We don't need to sell the only reason we would is if the player wanted to leave, Mahrez will leave at some point but he needs to stay focused and put in decent performances for the team. if we sell are most marketable assets then we really are taking backwards steps unless we get as good as replacements.

We don't need the money and we don't know how to spend it.

I want us to keep them as long as possible, I'd be less concerned if we had been able to buy decent players, but apart from Maguire and Ndidi (jury's still out on Silva) our recruitment has been terrible. Even if it had been really good we don't want to become Southampton whose buy develop sell policy has finally caught up with them.

The problem is how do we go forwards, we have an expensive squad that has underperformed, we look good for a top 10 finish this season, but how do we go forwards, we need an identity and reason for players to come to us that isn't a stepping stone to a bigger club.

If we sell Vardy and Mahrez we lose 2 great  players but also a massive part of our identity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

So I'm just gonna put this out there...

Mahrez will leave at some juncture whether its this window or the summer and Vardy has a couple of years of pace left in him sure, although playing him week in week out as our first choice striker also dictates our style of play as Vardy is set up to pounce on the break in counter attacking moves rather than possession based football - which we increasingly seem to be attempting to gather personnel capable of doing....

If we were to cash in and say get around £110 million, would now be the time to buy a couple of £50 million a piece forwards to play in a three up front and go 4 3 3 with the second half of a season and a security net of points to do so?

I of course I would like them to both stay with us for the remainder of their careers but I'm wondering if now might be the time to capitalise, bite the bullet and overhaul the squad in the knowledge we have a very secure midfield, and half a young defensive back line to build with.

Seeing as it's not really our money, its the owners money and they are not running out any time soon. I would say no let's keep our best players for as long as possible. Also the owners have proved they will spend money irregardless of how much incoming money there is. 

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

This is effectively the problem for me now. We've blown so much money it's unreal and it would totally defeat the object of selling high. The whole idea for me, is buy low, sell high, buy low but higher than your original buy, sell higher and so on (I get that's a simple way of putting it) and gradually you progress, but you've got to have excellent recruitment for it to work and now I'm not sure we do.

Exactly, if our recruitment was excellent it pays to be as active as possible in the transfer market and continually buy low and sell high.

It would be worth considering if Iheanacho was knocking on the door but we would probably cash in and become a poorer and less attractive team for other potential players to join. Normally I'd be happy to cash in on depreciating assets but our recruitment team can't be trusted after blowing £70m on inferior players like Slimani, Musa and Iheanacho.

2 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

Mahrez will leave at some juncture whether its this window or the summer and Vardy has a couple of years of pace left in him sure, although playing him week in week out as our first choice striker also dictates our style of play as Vardy is set up to pounce on the break in counter attacking moves rather than possession based football - which we increasingly seem to be attempting to gather personnel capable of doing....

If we were to cash in and say get around £110 million, would now be the time to buy a couple of £50 million a piece forwards to play in a three up front and go 4 3 3 with the second half of a season and a security net of points to do so?

I of course I would like them to both stay with us for the remainder of their careers but I'm wondering if now might be the time to capitalise, bite the bullet and overhaul the squad in the knowledge we have a very secure midfield, and half a young defensive back line to build with.

Absolutely not if we have the choice, do you really trust our recruitment team? It's extremely difficult to replace their class and the way they fit in to this team even if we had a spot on recruitment team but we haven't so it would be nigh on impossible.

2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

It's a good question. A very good question. 

2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

It remains an excellent question nonetheless. 

And !!   ....    cmon Peaky, what do you think !

I’m a definite NO as it shows a lack of ambition and gives out all the wrong signals.  The ONLY time to do something like that is if we has far far better players coming in at the same time to replace them ...    and that ain’t never going to happen.

3 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

Understand the logic but it would be a huge no from me. That's how you end up like Southampton who after years of cashing in and selling their best players now face the prospect of going down and have largely mediocrity in their side despite having players like Mane, Bale, Lallana et all in their side over the years. If they were more ambitious they could have been a top 6 team but not look like a bottom 6 one.

Of course we've seen the other end of the spectrum where we've been in league one and up the creek without a paddle. but surely being a fan is about living the dream and trying to win something. Not selling our best and most legendary players just to balance the books. There is no guarantee we'd be able to replace out star players. We signed Vardy, Mahrez, Kante, Kasper, Morgan, Huth, Albrighton, Fuchs and Simpson for less than we paid for Musa. 

There is a need to go back and do what we are good at, finding inexpensive talent from overseas and lower league clubs. We should be working on someone to partner JV, not peeing it away on expensive rubbish like Musa.

There is also absolutely no guarantee that Silva is the answer in midfield, only time will tell, personally I think we lack an attacking mid, and have done for ages.

We dont need to sell but we need to invest wisely.

Edited by Karljohn

4 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

As much as it saddens me, I think now might be the right time. We are nowhere near relegation and nowhere near the top 4. It gives time to rebuild a reshape ready for the future. I’d still rather we didn’t though lol

4 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

We couldn't even attract/ negotiate with decent players when we won the league lol 

Spot on. We're a nothing club for most players looking in from the outside. Even if we had 100m burning a hole in our pocket we'd struggle to spend it on the calibre of players we'd need to buy to even maintain some semblance of equilibrium. 

Also the old chestnut of if you pay them enough they'll come. Only really relevant if you are perceived as a big club.  We probably pay higher wages than say Spurs but given the choice we all know where players if they had the option would want to go.

3 hours ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

Yes this worries me. Seems like a lot of dosh until you waste it on overpriced duffers and are no better for it. 

Exactly, and this proves that good players are very difficult to find. Just because we have the money, it doesn't guarentee that we will get anything to shown for it. 

So to answer the OP's question, no I don't think we should cash in. Better the devil you know.

• Like 1