Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

7 minutes ago, browniefox said:

This tells me that the style we played isn't what Puel has been asking for as some of the players stated! 

His style is the style that bored everyone and cost us games, I hope he has learnt from it and plays to his team's streghts in the future. Interesting to see who else he brings in to help him implement and improve his style of football. 

His style didn't make Wes Morgan pass the the opposition against Burnley, the same with Simpson at tottenahm. Actually, under Shakey & Claudio they'd have just tw****d it into row Z. 

• Like 1

I always say I am a strong, virulent and passionate man - mrs foxinsocks says she will believe it when she sees it.

Claud now has his chance to show us - I expect he doesn't want to be under so much pressure ever again -  the signings will be key for him and I hope he succeeds - we're going to find out.

39 minutes ago, Ricey said:

We did look more committed, but how much of that was down to the fact that the opposition were allowing us to play our preferred style?

Not a great deal, in my opinion- we were out of the blocks from the first whistle and pressing from the front against Arsenal. If we had done that against the likes of West Ham and Newcastle and not been so passive, we would have probably beaten them both.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

Not a great deal, in my opinion- we were out of the blocks from the first whistle and pressing from the front against Arsenal. If we had done that against the likes of West Ham and Newcastle and not been so passive, we would have probably beaten them both.

I think the players were stung with the end of season pitch walk no show and the obvious backlash from the stands.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ted Maul said:

It wasn't about how direct we were that encouraged me in the last 2 games, it was the intensity and desire. We were first to every ball, committed in the challenge, and looked to get forward at every opportunity, either with short or long passing.

The notion that Spurs and Arsenal 'let us play' is ridiculous. If you're going to slate Puel for the bad performances (I know I did), you've got to credit him for changing it up and playing some good stuff.

He's staying. Get used to it, accept it, and get behind the lads.

I’m not in anyway anti Puel. But it doesn’t take any tactical expert to work out that against the bigger sides there is space behind the opposition back four which just simply isn’t there playing West Ham or Bournemouth. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I’m not in anyway anti Puel. But it doesn’t take any tactical expert to work out that against the bigger sides there is space behind the opposition back four which just simply isn’t there playing West Ham or Bournemouth. 

We were pressing, challenging for every second ball and moving the ball quickly in all parts of the pitch. It wasn't a case of us playing the same tepid style and then chucking a long ball in when the space appeared- it was different to the previous performances in every way.

4 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

There’s only one reason we went direct against Arsenal and Spurs. We were allowed tactically. 

Partly agree with this. Those two games reminded me of when we played Pep's City last season and they played a suicidal high line against us and we destroyed them 4-2 with Vardy getting a hat-trick. It was of course a different way we played back then, but the key similarity was that we were allowed to play our game with no real pressure on the ball and it really did make us look like world beaters. 

I also understand the argument that we really shouldn't be denying Puel praise when we do win. The intensity from the players was certainly improved, however I doubt we will have teams allowing us so much time and space next season, and the test for Puel will again be, how can he break down teams with this new possession styled approach. 

Who we are able to bring in will obviously be key and that is what I am putting my hopes on!  

Edited by STUHILL

Next season the players will be back to full tilt. The dust has settled on the title win, and the gloss of the Champions League knockout stages and then Shakespeare's sacking last season.

This is an actual fresh start and I think Puel and this squad will do well, which basically means finishing 7th whilst playing some attacking, watchable football (and cup runs)

Edited by maddog
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, maddog said:

Next season the players will be back to full tilt. The dust has settled on the title win, and the gloss of the Champions League knockout stages and then Shakespeare's sacking last season.

This is an actual fresh start and I think Puel and this squad will do well, which basically means finishing 7th whilst playing some attacking, watchable football (and cup runs)

This summer's inevitable house cleaning will advance the long-term goals of the club and owners far more than anything we've done in the past few years. Once we failed to kick on following the title win, it was inevitable that we would always be living in the shadow of it until we made moves to take another path.

8 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Wonder what Puel's spending pot is this summer ?

With the Mahrez  money, further potential sales and existing funds,

it must be substantial ... £100 to £150 million ?

I thought I saw mention of £50m + Mahrez money, might have just been some random on here though

9 hours ago, Babylon said:

I think the players were stung with the end of season pitch walk no show and the obvious backlash from the stands.

Supporters doing their job then - which was what was required at the time.

1 hour ago, knitro said:

Supporters doing their job then - which was what was required at the time.

Pretty pointless exercise, seeing that it was the antepenultimate match of a season in which we had thrown away 7th spot and were looking at four wins out of 19 league matches.

Something people seem to be missing is that using Puels style, we don’t press. Pressing the opponent forces them to move the ball forward earlier. It’s moves the oppositions players into areas they don’t want to be. This is a huge factor in creating space and allowing us to attack with more effectiveness. If we’d played Puels way against Spurs we’d have conceded 5 without response. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Something people seem to be missing is that using Puels style, we don’t press. Pressing the opponent forces them to move the ball forward earlier. It’s moves the oppositions players into areas they don’t want to be. This is a huge factor in creating space and allowing us to attack with more effectiveness. If we’d played Puels way against Spurs we’d have conceded 5 without response. 

Something people seem to be missing is that the manager for the Spurs match just happened to be Puel.

I realise that this is just an awkward and unhelpful coincidence. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

We’ve pressed aggressively on numerous occassions:

First half against Swansea at home

Everton away

Watford at home

Huddersfield at home

Chelsea away 

West Brom away

Man Utd home 

Burnley away second half

If you include the ‘new manager bounce’ period and the last 2 games I could list even more times where we’ve pressed well. It just hasn’t been consistent, because of a combination of poor players to begin with and players that can’t adapt to puel’s style. But as proven in the list above, Puel does want us to press.

Next season we will see a team better suited to Puel’s tactics. 

Keep the faith !

• Like 2