Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

Southampton's squad really isn't all that bad, Hughes is just a very limited manager isn't he.

Can understand their frustration although if the Hughes appointment is anything to go by they'll stick with "tried and tested" again – Moyes or Allardyce, probably.

3 minutes ago, Langston said:

Southampton's squad really isn't all that bad, Hughes is just a very limited manager isn't he.

Can understand their frustration although if the Hughes appointment is anything to go by they'll stick with "tried and tested" again – Moyes or Allardyce, probably.

They have some pretty tidy footballers in Lemina, Hojberg, Bertrand etc. but they're pretty toothless going forward. Hughes might not be the bet manager in the world, but the current Southampton squad isn't a touch on the ones that Potchettino and Koeman had. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

be interesting to see them play fergies utd in their prime or the Arsenal in theirs

wouldn’t even be that interesting, city would stroll it like they stroll every other game they ever play. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

They have some pretty tidy footballers in Lemina, Hojberg, Bertrand etc. but they're pretty toothless going forward. Hughes might not be the bet manager in the world, but the current Southampton squad isn't a touch on the ones that Potchettino and Koeman had. 

Tbh Pochettino and Koeman bought better players (and they are better managers).

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Tbh Pochettino and Koeman bought better players (and they are better managers).

I do think Claude had a bit of a raw deal in terms of players sales and who he was allwed to bring in given that they were in Europe that season. I know he broke their transfer record, but just about everyone did that summer. 

5 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I do think Claude had a bit of a raw deal in terms of players sales and who he was allwed to bring in given that they were in Europe that season. I know he broke their transfer record, but just about everyone did that summer. 

Yeah I think Puel lost Mane, Pelle and Wanyama when he first joined.

Worrying start to the prem this year.

Nobody has been able to lay a glove on the top 5. And if an appallingly ran man utd had even a 10% increase in performance, they'd be unbeaten too.

In recent seasons, Palace could be relied upon to floor the big clubs at home. West Ham too at Upton park. Swansea even at the liberty....Spuds and liverpool struggling for at least one match per season every year to us. 

I think a part if the problem is - us included - we all try to be man city lite....playing out from the back ...Surely decent coaches could/should work out game plans to nullify the big guns?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gurru991 said:

Southampton fans calling for Hughes to be fired ASAP. I bet they would take Puel back now. That club has become a bit of a mess.

They hate Puel even more than some people on here do. They criticized him for negative sideways football (sounds like a familiar complaint), but I think they are slightly delusional because he got them 8th place and a cup final where they were the better team and had a perfectly good goal ruled out despite being a club that has lost Mane, Van Dijk, Pelle, Lallana, Wanyama, Alderweireld, Clyne, Luke Shaw in the last 3 or 4 years. They didn't give him the opportunity to have the summer to help fix their problems and now look where they are.

For all our "boring" football we are the only team in the league to have scored in every game and have come back from behind many times over. I think we are also being very smart in developing a young team. Even the best teams like Real Madrid and Barcelona had a collection of players that stayed with one another for many years, and generally all peaked at around about the same time. Our players are very young but have potential and with recent events meaning we will have new beginnings anyway, taking the time to gel a team together could be a way to end up with some trophies in a few seasons time. Of course we will have to avoid the Southampton curse as we have already lost Kante, Drinkwater and Mahrez but I think our current crop will probably stay possibly with the exception of Maguire. Actually I don't know about the other fans on these forums but I kind of feel that the way players, staff and fans have come together in recent weeks could yield great results in the future... you can see in the players eyes at the end of the Cardiff match when standing by our fans that they realise that Leicester is no ordinary club. Vichai really did start something special and it makes me so proud to say that because I honestly don't think any other club in the country as of right here right now can match that.

All that said I don't think Southampton will go down just like they didn't go down last season either. They have players that the likes of Cardiff and Huddersfield would dream of having and I dare say that with current funds even Newcastle too. Lemina, Romeu, Ings, Bertrand, Ward-Prowse, Redmond etc are all pretty good I think.

Still glad we have them in the cup! You'd think we will have an easier game than we did against Wolves in that one.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Paninistickers said:

Worrying start to the prem this year.

Nobody has been able to lay a glove on the top 5. And if an appallingly ran man utd had even a 10% increase in performance, they'd be unbeaten too.

In recent seasons, Palace could be relied upon to floor the big clubs at home. West Ham too at Upton park. Swansea even at the liberty....Spuds and liverpool struggling for at least one match per season every year to us. 

I think a part if the problem is - us included - we all try to be man city lite....playing out from the back ...Surely decent coaches could/should work out game plans to nullify the big guns?

Definitely see your point but I think part of it also has to do with some of these teams having been moulded over a few seasons. The two best teams are Man City and Liverpool and both Guardiola and Klopp have been there for a while AND been heavily backed in the transfer market. There teams are starting to peak at the same time so are currently in the middle of a good cycle. For me the biggest surprises are Chelsea and Arsenal and credit must go to Sari and Emery for very quickly setting a blueprint and identity for their respective teams. But again these teams had a core group of players that have been there for some time and are peaking at the right time.

One of the reasons we won the title is that almost all the major teams had just ended their cycles with top players getting old / moving on (the Manchester clubs specifically) and Arsenal under-performed badly. And on top of that our team just happened to peak at exactly the right time! Happy days of course :). I doubt that all of the teams will go off the boil at the same time again, but clubs will go through peaks and troughs... look at 3x Champions League winners Real Madrid... despite still having Modric, Kroos, Marcelo, Courtois, Benzema and Bale they look like a shadow of their former selves. Many of those players are getting on a bit and need either a new challenge or a new way of thinking so it does happen.

Your final point about being Man City lite - that is a very good point. If they have the better players (in our case literally buying probably our best one in terms of technique), then how likely is it you will beat them by playing the same way? We remain the team that gave Guardiola his biggest defeat when Ranieri was still here and we have them a 15/16 vintage Leicester display that day to do so. Even Mourinho adjusts his team to nullify them and it has worked on some occasions against them. But at the same time, often times a team holds out trying to counter them for 30-60 minutes, then concedes and then has no chance whatsoever to beat them and the floodgates open. So perhaps trying to play is better than being thrashed like Southampton were? At the end of the day they are a very good team and Guardiola's tactics are very clever; by essentially starving the other team of the ball they don't really have to defend! And given that many teams still don't play possession football they are beaten before the match even starts.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

They really have gone from a fine example of how to run a football club to looking like a real mess in very little time. 

Their owner died and his daughter took over, apparently she has no interest in football. I'm sure she's getting advice but it can't be the same as having someone in charge who cares and has knowledge of the game.

For the record, I don't see us going that way as Top was massively involved prior to his dad's death.

Not heard Robbie Savage bigging up his hero Mark Hughes for a while. Hughes was praised for keeping Southampton up last year but I think that was more luck than judgement, I don't think they'll go down this year either but Southampton should be doing better than they are.

The absolute state of the bottom part of the league. Nearly a third of the way through the season Southampton have only scored 7 goals, conceded nearly three times as many, won 1 game all season so far - and they're not even in the bottom 3! lol

As many as seven teams going at less than a point per game, mental.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's ok the also rans have a devious plan - give them more of the overseas TV revenue so the gap gets bigger and they're tempted to join a Super  Dooper Euro League.

12 hours ago, SAFC1 said:

Huddersfield v Fulham tomorrow night. That should be a classic :blink:

Probably what other teams think when Leicester are on.....

remember the " arrogant Entitlement" ...what we disliked from the other "better" clubs...

we don't want to stoop so low.... 

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, SAFC1 said:

Huddersfield v Fulham tomorrow night. That should be a classic :blink:

I'm actually looking forward to it. Certainly more than Chelsea v Palace yesterday- it's rare for a game down the bottom to have so much riding on it this early into a season. The loser is in big trouble.

• Like 1