Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

20 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Almost every news outlet is going nuts about Liverpool being "back on top", completely not bothering to acknowledge Man City have a game in hand. 

City definitely have the harder run in but they're more than capable of winning all of them. 

Yes, but the fact is Liverpool are top of the league as it stands. I always rather have the points in the bag than a game in hand. Of course, Man City need to drop points for Liverpool to win the title, that is obvious.

I think this will go down to the last game of the season. I personally don't care who wins, I just hope it remains tight until the very final whistle.

5 minutes ago, STEVIE B said:

I think it’s the fact that we won the Premier League that comes into it for me. I live in a town full of plastic Liverpool ‘fans’ that have never watched them live ( tv apart). As long as they don’t win the title, it’s something l can enjoy. I was in a local bar when they played Man Utd recently and it was packed full of both sets of plastics. 

I totally get that. But clubs like that have always attracted fans from way outside their catchment areas. Can't say it particularly bothers me. They're never going to feel the connection we do as Leicester people supporting Leicester City.

i just don't see that as a reason to despise them. If they get pleasure from being a Liverpool/Man Utd 'fan', then good luck to them.

Their experience probably isn't as rich or textured as ours, so if anything, I tend to feel a bit of sympathy for them, that's all.

• Like 1

Went to the Amex for the first time on Saturday, absolutely shocked by how terrible Brighton were, static in defence, clueless going forward and Knocky badly let his team down, prior to that he looked like the only player capable of creating anything.

They couldn't cope with Bournemouth's pace and movement up front and it could have been 8 or 9 if there was another half an hour to play.

Fraser was excellent, would love him here.

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Chelsea just aren’t a good side. Lumping balls over the top for Higuain to run into is madness. He’s not quick and he’s a poacher in the penalty area. 

Not been impressed by Sarri at all. As soon as Liverpool scores yesterday it was game over.

Without hazard, it would be interesting to see were they would be?? 

48 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Went to the Amex for the first time on Saturday, absolutely shocked by how terrible Brighton were, static in defence, clueless going forward and Knocky badly let his team down, prior to that he looked like the only player capable of creating anything.

They couldn't cope with Bournemouth's pace and movement up front and it could have been 8 or 9 if there was another half an hour to play.

Fraser was excellent, would love him here.

Got a friend who's a Brighton fan, she said they're a bit conflicted about Chris Hughton. 

Many of them seem fed up with his approach, feeling it's too negative, too predictable. At the same time they think if they got rid they might end up with something worse.

They're lucky Cardiff are so crap, but the feeling there is pretty toxic from what I gather. For a defensive coach to concede five at home - seems like the end's in sight for him...

Unfortunately I think Liverpool will do it this year. Nothing against the club but the media love in with them and the loveable scouse rogues  who follow them plus the plastics from the 70's & 80's crawling out of the woodwork again will make it unbearable.

I don't have much love for Man City, the Chelski of the North. A few of their supporters I came into contact with on walking to the KP a few years ago looked like they had just walked off the set of Shameless. Racial tolerance was unheard of.

I just have a feeling Liverpool have more of a cutting edge and Man City's desire to pass the ball into the net will be the undoing of them. I hope I'm wrong!

1 hour ago, Stoopid said:

Got a friend who's a Brighton fan, she said they're a bit conflicted about Chris Hughton. 

Many of them seem fed up with his approach, feeling it's too negative, too predictable. At the same time they think if they got rid they might end up with something worse.

They're lucky Cardiff are so crap, but the feeling there is pretty toxic from what I gather. For a defensive coach to concede five at home - seems like the end's in sight for him...

Didn't Hughton essentially do the same thing with Norwich? Got them up, kept them up but eventually sleptwalked them to relegation the season after. It all seems very familiar.

In terms of Liverpool, I used to have a soft spot for them, no idea why, maybe blind youth, maybe Heskey and Owen and that 5-4 against Alaves when I was a kid had an impact. I saw the light when the Suarez/Evra debacle came out and was repulsed by their reaction. Would hate to see them win the league but there's no way they're not going to tbh, walk the last four games and Man City will 100% drop something in the last five.

4 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Didn't Hughton essentially do the same thing with Norwich? Got them up, kept them up but eventually sleptwalked them to relegation the season after. It all seems very familiar.

In terms of Liverpool, I used to have a soft spot for them, no idea why, maybe blind youth, maybe Heskey and Owen and that 5-4 against Alaves when I was a kid had an impact. I saw the light when the Suarez/Evra debacle came out and was repulsed by their reaction. Would hate to see them win the league but there's no way they're not going to tbh, walk the last four games and Man City will 100% drop something in the last five.

Paul Lambert got them promoted and they stayed up for a couple of seasons. 

I was OK with a Liverpool title. But after listening to some scouse cvnt belittle us Friday before ko they can fvck off. I even want man c to beat us so it happens now. Hope he's in the pub for the man c game. He can listen to me cheer them on wearing my city shirt. 

• Haha 1

2 reasons why I shouldn't want Liverpool to do it;

1) I grew up in the 60s when (mainly due to The Beatles) Liverpool was widely touted as the cultural capital of the world to the point of total cliché.

2) Talking of cliché, I've always found the city itself to be a kind of living museum of it.

Despite this, though, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they do. As a noted philosopher once put it - it's no skin off my hooter.

3 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Hughton is Brighton's greatest ever manager. They've never been at this level before. They've spent money on crap players though. They signed about 11 players in the summer and I can't name you 3 of them. Put money on them going down nect season m.

I think they will stick with him regardless like Burnley did with Dyche few years back.

Edited by Koke

14 minutes ago, Koke said:

Hughton is Brighton's greatest ever manager. They've never been at this level before. They've spent money on crap players though. They signed about 11 players in the summer and I can't name you 3 of them. Put money on them going down nect season m.

I think they will stick with him regardless like Burnley did with Dyche few years back.

Mmh, people said the same to us about Ranieri and then Puel. I'm cautious of defending a manager who's broadly lost the faith of the majority of his season ticket holders, the fans do generally know best most of the time. Not every fan but the lot collectively. They're the ones watching every week. 

A football club is about progression and the present, not being stuck in the past. It doesn't matter who has been at Brighton before it just matters whether or not they have the resources to get someone better in. 

A manager is no different to the players. Murray might be the best striker Brighton have ever had but you wouldn't begrudge them trying to sign a better one. It shouldn't be any different for managers, if Hughton has taken them as far as he can, they've every right to be ambitious and look for a manager to take them further. 

I don't look at Hughton and see a manager good enough to near guarantee they won't go down.

9 minutes ago, Koke said:

Let's face it - for a team that took on Peter Taylor after his spell with us - that's a pretty low bar. Not to mention such greats as Steve Gritt and Jimmy Case.

Agree though, if he stays I think they'll struggle next season.

3 hours ago, Stoopid said:

There'll be a reaction against Cardiff and I expect them to win that game.

The recruitment at Brighton is a real issue, Jahanbaksh looks like a waste of money, Izquierdo is inconsistent, Andone' is very average and Locadia looked absolutely useless on Saturday.

I think Hughton will stay but he could be in trouble if they start next season badly.

21 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Mmh, people said the same to us about Ranieri and then Puel. I'm cautious of defending a manager who's broadly lost the faith of the majority of his season ticket holders, the fans do generally know best most of the time. Not every fan but the lot collectively. They're the ones watching every week. 

A football club is about progression and the present, not being stuck in the past. It doesn't matter who has been at Brighton before it just matters whether or not they have the resources to get someone better in. 

A manager is no different to the players. Murray might be the best striker Brighton have ever had but you wouldn't begrudge them trying to sign a better one. It shouldn't be any different for managers, if Hughton has taken them as far as he can, they've every right to be ambitious and look for a manager to take them further. 

I don't look at Hughton and see a manager good enough to near guarantee they won't go down.

I agree. There will be the inevitable media meltdown if they sack him. 

I like Chris Hughton but he us a poor manager at this level. His transfers has been really bad.

17 minutes ago, Tuna said:

There'll be a reaction against Cardiff and I expect them to win that game.

The recruitment at Brighton is a real issue, Jahanbaksh looks like a waste of money, Izquierdo is inconsistent, Andone' is very average and Locadia looked absolutely useless on Saturday.

I think Hughton will stay but he could be in trouble if they start next season badly.

Andone has been good for them I thought, just struggled with some injuries? Locadia's problem is he is continually played out on the wing instead of his natural striking position. I think some blame must lie with Hughton for not getting the most out of his players. The likes of Jahanbaksh would be more consistent under a more attacking coach imo. 

1 hour ago, Koke said:

I agree. There will be the inevitable media meltdown if they sack him. 

I like Chris Hughton but he us a poor manager at this level. His transfers has been really bad.

The club have to do what is best for themselves. There seems to be this belief in the media (and other fans) that sacking somebody undoes all the work they've done, or you have always disliked them, never rated them etc. You can separate your gratitude for the man and his previous work whilst acknowledging he may have run his course at the club.

Sacking Hughton would be harsh based on his work from 2014-2018. Based on this season- no. Relegation is massive for teams in the Premier League- it's all very well for pundits to sit and wail that clubs are disgraceful, unfair, out of order when it doesn't affect them directly but they don't take into account the loss of revenue, the uncertainty and the potential issues relegation brings.

You can't have it both ways- you can't say how vital Premier League survival is then complain when clubs at to try and ensure it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Their latest statement ref: Salah bomber chants I found hypocritical given their defence of Suarez.......

That in a nutshell for me. There's a moral highground about them that I cannot ignore.

A Man Utd fan got it spot on yesterday as well by the way - the reaction to them yesterday you'd think they had just gone 7 points clear, rather than partially made up for bodging that gap in the first place.

There is a huge pro-Liverpool agenda in the media. I always said it was bad with Tottenham but this lot are even worse.

42 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

That in a nutshell for me. There's a moral highground about them that I cannot ignore.

A Man Utd fan got it spot on yesterday as well by the way - the reaction to them yesterday you'd think they had just gone 7 points clear, rather than partially made up for bodging that gap in the first place.

There is a huge pro-Liverpool agenda in the media. I always said it was bad with Tottenham but this lot are even worse.

Now you've got me thinking about what it would be like if Spurs were in this position...  Ugh. Thanks :P

3 minutes ago, sylofox said:

What? 

You do realise Football existed before the Premier league formed. 

Second greatest then. Brighton's highest finish on the top division is 13th. Hughton finished 15th. They  have spent 6 seasons in the top flight (2 with Hughton). They reached the cup final in 1983 but was also relegated that season. Hughton has reached a semi final.

It's not a stretch to say Hughton is their greatest ever.