Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Kelechi Iheanacho / Nacho Man

7 hours ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Also, the couple of moments from Nacho shown in that game weren't bad.  That cushioned header for Maddison was class and should have resulted in a goal.  He should have 2 assists from the last few games he's played but for his team mates' finishing

I also think its a myth he doesnt run and that he has a bad first touch

If Vardy had the minutes Nacho has and came on and barely touched the ball, as Vardz does through a lot of our games, he would look just as poor.

Obviously most responses to that on here will be. 'Bollocks.  He's just pure rubbish, not even a footballer'.  I think he's properly scapegoated personally

The guy was a big money signing with a buy back option and a fantastic wage. He was deemed to be good enough for this combination irrespective of his age and as a striker he has simply not delivered. If he’d come as a £ 1.5million on a gamble from a Championship or League 1 club then we would all have less expectation of the lad. He’s a striker and should be judged, in the main, on chances he has and the number of these chances he converts into goals. He has the most worrying trait a striker can have, he doesn’t get many chances, isn’t able to create chances on his own and simply doesn’t look like scoring. He’s even forgotten the fundamental basic expectation as a player, particularly when you’re having a bad game, and that is a strong work ethic. He gives up, doesn’t chase, doesn’t appear to make any intelligent ‘curved’ runs and is pretty much always caught on his heels. I get that he’s not getting the service he would like but at the moment unless he’s getting it served up on a plate, 3 yards out, on the floor, open goal, he isn’t likely to score. 

• Like 3

I guess I should rephrase, you don't loan a player of that cost with a future, you either get it to work or move him on for good. If Nacho was ever loaned, that means were trying to unload him.

Slimani is a bust and the loan is less about him 'gaining confidence' or whatever, rather finding someone to offset some of the wages/try and drum up demand for his services.

Mbappe's loan is just plain financial shenanigans. 

Edited by knitro

2 hours ago, knitro said:

You don't loan 25M players - please find me an example of that happening, ever.

So you compound the mistake by playing him in the first team just because he cost 25m?

Players should be utilised based on merit not cost of acquisition.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

So you compound the mistake by playing him in the first team just because he cost 25m?

My point is that we made a major investment and the notion of loaning him is a half measure which doesn't track with reality - if he's ever loaned its because he couldn't be fully unloaded. I understand the concept of sunk cost, but in all sports players who've cost more/have larger contracts get longer/more chances. 

I think he'll get the rest of the season to prove he can be a second striker/heir apparent, but come summer I see us making a move for a striker and if he drops down to 3rd, well that's probably going to make him available to leave on a permanent. 

19 minutes ago, Stadt said:

He's a traditional poacher, not many teams can afford to play a player with so few responsibilities anymore.

He doesn't have enough movement for a poacher, he really is very static. There are many occasions when his own midfielders run past him when attacking and when the ball gets fed into the box, not only has he failed to get there in the right place, he's not even up with the play. A poacher isn't someone who just hangs around with his hands in his pockets, a good poacher has an unquantifiable knack of being in the right place at the right time. He's not that. He just appears to be someone who can sometimes finish when the ball by chance has landed at his feet. His close to control is very poor for a poacher also. He's no Lineker, Fowler, Solksjar or Inzhagi. With respect,  I think the term 'poacher' or 'fox in the box' is only being used because all the other labels don't fit and that's the last one in the box.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Foxboy said:

If you watch this video his style at city was much like Jesus, he really did look a good buy.

Jesus is a brilliant footballer, that video showed no similarities to Jesus’ game. A few good finishes and a load of tap ins (not knocking that). Jesus can link up play,  beat a man and finish... Iheanacho can barely do any of those for us. He’s had plenty of chances he should have stuck away. He could have had plenty more if he was a decent footballer. 

I want him to succeed here but unfortunately I can’t see it happening. I was chuffed when he signed, I thought we’d bought a real talent. 

Edit - you owe me 2 minutes of my life. That suckered me in worse than a Facebook fakenews article. 

Edited by Leeds Fox

2 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

Jesus is a brilliant footballer, that video showed no similarities to Jesus’ game. A few good finishes and a load of tap ins (not knocking that). Jesus can link up play,  beat a man and finish... Iheanacho can barely do any of those for us. He’s had plenty of chances he should have stuck away. He could have had plenty more if he was a decent footballer. 

I want him to succeed here but unfortunately I can’t see it happening. I was chuffed when he signed, I thought we’d bought a real talent. 

Edit - you owe me 2 minutes of my life. That suckered me in worse than a Facebook fakenews article. 

How to do tap in? Just standing in the box all of the time? 

6 hours ago, knitro said:

I guess I should rephrase, you don't loan a player of that cost with a future, you either get it to work or move him on for good. If Nacho was ever loaned, that means were trying to unload him.

Slimani is a bust and the loan is less about him 'gaining confidence' or whatever, rather finding someone to offset some of the wages/try and drum up demand for his services.

Mbappe's loan is just plain financial shenanigans. 

Why not? We did loan benkovic out, he's not cheap player for his reputation, and he's getting game time there. 

Nacho need confidence and game time. We need additional striker for vardy deputee and additional goal source. He's 22 and not too late for development but will be hard to get it here

• Like 2

6 hours ago, knitro said:

My point is that we made a major investment and the notion of loaning him is a half measure which doesn't track with reality - if he's ever loaned its because he couldn't be fully unloaded. I understand the concept of sunk cost, but in all sports players who've cost more/have larger contracts get longer/more chances. 

I think he'll get the rest of the season to prove he can be a second striker/heir apparent, but come summer I see us making a move for a striker and if he drops down to 3rd, well that's probably going to make him available to leave on a permanent. 

He will at the very least get this season yes, since we dont have many strikers right now.

6 hours ago, Foxboy said:

If you watch this video his style at city was much like Jesus, he really did look a good buy.

Like Jesus no, but he shows good movement and finishing there, even a burst of pace we've not seen. How people can pretend he's just shit rather than completely lacking in confidence (probably because of a very stop-start first season and the abuse he gets from the fans) baffles. He's 12/13 Vardy, not Roman Bednar.

He's struggled since he's been here but there's a footballer in there somewhere. 

His confidence is shot, he's at the stage Vardy was at before Vichai had a word in his ear. When you are a striker and you're not finding the net it can play havoc with your mind. Even assists don't count. It's that bad you can get the yips when you're baring down on the keeper for a 1 on 1, you start thinking about it, rather than relying on coaching and repetition, second guess yourself and end up getting smothered by the keeper because you thought too much about it 

Well that's where nacho is right now, and I hope he's got enough strength and mind to get over it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jordan said:

It's not as if Iheanacho is being left to rot in the reserves. He has had chances and he has had runs in the squad. He's already played more minutes in the PL than he did all of last season. 

And it's not just Leicester fans that are getting on his case--he's been pilloried by Nigeria fans for his recent performances (he's been poor for them for a whole year now).

I agree he's had the chances. I dont know about runs in the squad.  How many games in a row has he started at any one point?

There are definitely question marks around him, his mentality and confidence mostly, but he's clearly got talent.  Probably a better striker of the ball than most of our players.

I'm not defending his performances too much or anything.  People expect a lot from him and the crowd getting on his back at home hasnt helped

10 hours ago, funkyrobot said:

The guy was a big money signing with a buy back option and a fantastic wage. He was deemed to be good enough for this combination irrespective of his age and as a striker he has simply not delivered. If he’d come as a £ 1.5million on a gamble from a Championship or League 1 club then we would all have less expectation of the lad. He’s a striker and should be judged, in the main, on chances he has and the number of these chances he converts into goals. He has the most worrying trait a striker can have, he doesn’t get many chances, isn’t able to create chances on his own and simply doesn’t look like scoring. He’s even forgotten the fundamental basic expectation as a player, particularly when you’re having a bad game, and that is a strong work ethic. He gives up, doesn’t chase, doesn’t appear to make any intelligent ‘curved’ runs and is pretty much always caught on his heels. I get that he’s not getting the service he would like but at the moment unless he’s getting it served up on a plate, 3 yards out, on the floor, open goal, he isn’t likely to score. 

You could say this of Vardy for much of this season.  If Nacho had the minutes Vardy have i'm sure he'd have had more chances.

The price tag is irrelevant.  If our club is mug enough to pay 25 million, again, for someone who we cant play every week then thats the club's fault and not on Nacho

Regarding his runs and work ethic, I cant argue too much with that.  Have personally thought he looks a little bewildered almost on the pitch at times and struggling for belief.   Maybe thats on the manager, idk

I completely understand criticism of Nacho as he has been disappointing, think its exaggerated to a degree though

Will also add he's not the only striker who has come here doing well and had a massive dip in form (but he is the youngest of the few we have signed since winning the title).  We seem to be a bit of a strikers' graveyard and even Vardy has struggled playing up front for us at times

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi

It doesn't help that we can't create the way Man City did for him. The only two capable of consistently creating chances for him are Maddison and Ricardo. If Chilwell improves his final ball and Albrighton can learn to keep the ball on the ground, we might get somewhere. I'm not saying his performances of late have been good, but we have to get behind him. Booing him is counter-productive.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

You realise this was just his goals. Doesn’t show any link up play, assists or skills. Ihaenacho is good at linking up play, he has shown it a couple times for us. Not enough though you are right. However, I don’t think that’s all his fault, those supporting (or rather not supprting him) need to get the ball into his feet and make runs around him.

Also, if you watch any videos of Jesus’ goals over the last 2 years I’m sure you’ll see that him and ihaenacho both score very similar types of goals. They were good at ghosting into the box and finding little spaces where they could collect the rebound off the post or a spilled ball from the keeper s that they have an “easy tap in”.

Edited by Foxboy
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Very true but it's tough to see an alternative. Probably Barnes coming back will give more options but not sure how he'll fit in as him and Maddison have both played a number 10 role. I'm sure that all three could perhaps work but don't know enough about him. Either way, got to be a better option than Nacho at the moment.