Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfc sheff

Filip Benkovic

Just now, fazzyfox said:

Just because his name ends in "vic" it would be lazy, naive, stereotypical and offensive to presume he's just like Dragovic. I reckon he'll be just like Dragovic.

And sit on the bench all season watching Morgan get picked ahead of him.

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Foxes1 said:

And sit on the bench all season watching Morgan get picked ahead of him.

If Puel is stupid enough to persist with Morgan ‘if’ he has better options available, then he will be gone quite quickly.  Wes,bless him, is to slow now to play in the quickest league in the World.  Johnson will be ahead of him given the chance.

21 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

If Puel is stupid enough to persist with Morgan ‘if’ he has better options available, then he will be gone quite quickly.  Wes,bless him, is to slow now to play in the quickest league in the World.  Johnson will be ahead of him given the chance.

Reading a few of Wes's interviews, even he seems to realise this.

3 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

He looks like our new Wasyl ?

Genuine question though - how do people feel if this blocks opportunities for DJ, Sam Hughes and the like? Would you prefer to see the latter two get some game time? 

Our youngsters will have a better chance than ever to get involved in the first team under Puel, but they have to be patient. Relieved to be strengthening options in that area more than anything.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

Genuine question though - how do people feel if this blocks opportunities for DJ, Sam Hughes and the like? Would you prefer to see the latter two get some game time? 

For me DJ has earned the right to be fourth choice ahead of Benny. The issue is he needs Premier League game time to prove that even more so. 

Someone like Benkovic has Champions League minutes in the tank, so Claude would be more likely to throw him in.

It's sad but that's just how it is, despite them being similar ages one is a step ahead. 

I'd be more annoyed if we didn't sort DJ's contract and Benny sticks around. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

This site has become overexcited about kids that have never played a game of Senior Football. I think these kids will better develop playing real minutes elsewhere instead of maybe getting a chance in a cup game than at a mid-table premier league team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

You could make an argument for DJ being a local lad, but my feeling is that it should be a meritocracy and to do whatever produces the best players for the first team.

Speaking of Sam Hughes I think he only returned to training today, so has probably been injured.

Edited by brucey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, AjcW said:

For me DJ has earned the right to be fourth choice ahead of Benny. The issue is he needs Premier League game time to prove that even more so. 

Someone like Benkovic has Champions League minutes in the tank, so Claude would be more likely to throw him in.

It's sad but that's just how it is, despite them being similar ages one is a step ahead. 

I'd be more annoyed if we didn't sort DJ's contract and Benny sticks around. 

Perhaps that's what this is all about ?? Could be that he (or his agent) have indicated that he won't be signing and thinks he can do better elsewhere ?? Might even have another offer on the table. (I'm not ITK, btw).

Just now, Master Fox said:

Benny had Champions league minutes playing for us don’t forget. 

My point was about being young and having that experience. Not being a 31 year old Shaolin Monk stealing a ****ing living at centre back lol 

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Perhaps that's what this is all about ?? Could be that he (or his agent) have indicated that he won't be signing and thinks he can do better elsewhere ?? Might even have another offer on the table. (I'm not ITK, btw).

I just can't imagine they would be featuring an out-of-contract youth player so prominently in pre-season if they thought he wasn't going to sign.

1 minute ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I just can't imagine they would be featuring an out-of-contract youth player so prominently in pre-season if they thought he wasn't going to sign.

... or trying to get a higher compensation fee when it goes to a tribunal :unsure:

51 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

Elite sport is brutal. Like the overwhelming majority of managers, CP is six games away from being sacked at any given moment. If we have six successive bad results and poor performances, he’ll be gone. And it will be us supporters that are calling for his head. It won’t matter if he played kids, locals, unemployed people, LGBT activists or whatever. Everyone will

hold him accountable to getting the best results he possibly can for the club within the confines of our budget. Therefore, if he and his support team think FP is the way forward, the other contenders have to raise their game even more. That’s how competition works. Ask Liam Moore. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One for the future I’m hearing.

Great but do they realise we need someone for now?

Ultimately it’s a CB, something I’ve been whining (not unjustifiably imo) but can’t help but say I’d have liked someone abit more well known, tested and proven at a level.

Does it really matter when he won’t get ahead of Morgan anyway? :dunno: 

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

Ultimately it’s a CB, something I’ve been whining (not unjustifiably imo) but can’t help but say I’d have liked someone abit more well known, tested and proven at a level.

It's an ideal combination IMO.

We have Maguire approaching his prime, Evans in his prime and adds experience to a young side.

Benkovic just turned 21 a couple of weeks a go and touted as one of the best up and coming centre backs in Europe who has been linked with a host of elite clubs and Morgan the old war horse who is Mr Dependable and good experienced back up to the other three for his final season at the club.

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

I think one for the future, in terms of potentially becoming a top player. I think he would be fine coming into the starting 11 if needed. He has played in the Champions League and had rave reviews already. 

Obviously I haven't seen him play, but everything I've read, suggests he would go instantly in ahead of Morgan and Benny. 

5 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

I think one for the future, in terms of potentially becoming a top player. I think he would be fine coming into the starting 11 if needed. He has played in the Champions League and had rave reviews already. 

Obviously I haven't seen him play, but everything I've read, suggests he would go instantly in ahead of Morgan and Benny. 

I doubt he will be ahead of Morgan (the club captain) this season. But Morgan's contract runs out this year so will probably take over after that. I expect him to start in cup games alongside Morgan and come on off the bench / play if players are injured.

Seems like a sensible signing - give him a year with no pressure who can step up next year to challenge the first choice CB pairing, or possibly just take over from a departing Harry Maguire.

With him and Ghezall we basically have every position covered, albeit with a massive downgrade at right wing, even if Ghezall turns out to be decent. So I think overall it's the first time in a window where I feel we have all our bases covered, though I am secretly hoping we pull a rabbit out of the hat and have a world class / world class potential winger coming in out of nowhere.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 3