Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

There have been some great post with top examples of the big “whatever” expanding over time. 

some have mentioned Blackburn and Newcastle that were once in the mix, and now no longer. Same can be said about Leeds in the early noughties.

so I guess teams can drop out the big “whatever” but if you look at the clubs mentioned, they were all relegated and all northern clubs with less of a media presence.

if a spurs or arsenal over a number of seasons didn’t make the top 6, I still think prior to each season they would still be looked upon in the media as the “big 6/7/8” at that time. 

36 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I think this is the likeliest although spurs need to be careful about losing global brand awareness they have cultivated past decade. They could drop out of the six....... (and most relevant - they haven’t won anything  for more than a generation) 

I've never really understood Spurs place in a so-called big 6. For much of the last 20 years they've been a mid-table team who made occasional forays into the higher placings. 

Also, Man City, only in the last ten years.

People talk like the "big 6" always has been and always will be.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I've never really understood Spurs place in a so-called big 6. For much of the last 20 years they've been a mid-table team who made occasional forays into the higher placings. 

Same with Chelsea before they became Chelski

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dorkingfox said:

Same with Chelsea before they became Chelski

Indeed. Up to that point their history was similar to ours, a serial yo-yo club, as were Man City, which is why they share the dubious honour with us of the most 2nd division titles.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Indeed. Up to that point their history was similar to ours, a serial yo-yo club, as were Man City, which is why they share the dubious honour with us of the most 2nd division titles.

While it's true that Manchester City have traditionally been a yo-yo club, there's a certain amount of revisionism going on here. 

They are traditionally the team of the city of Manchester (and its southern & eastern neighbours) - a massive, very densely populate)d area. 

And though obviously in the shadow of United they hardly came from nowhere.

They got lucky in their owners, but so did we - on moral and social grounds, you could say we got even luckier. 

Not to say we can't emulate their success, but we don't have to diminish them to do so.

Just the opposite, in my view...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corky said:

The reason Ricardo is at us is because we wanted him more. There seems to be a belief that players have to prove themselves at a "lesser" team before making the supposed step up. Man United could've had Maguire two years ago, anyone could've had Ricardo, Maddison, Tielemans if they wanted to but didn't.

Now they'll have to pay possibly double or treble the price. Hard luck.

I agree. I think the big clubs often perceive transfer targets as too risky until they've proved themselves at a high enough level, by which time they are much more expensive. I think they could all be doing a lot better re: scouting, but I'm not complaining.

Often much more than double or treble. We got Maguire for around £17m, and sold him for £80m. Maddison was around £22m, but I can't see us letting go of him for less than £100m. Maybe more.

1 hour ago, turkish14 said:

There have been some great post with top examples of the big “whatever” expanding over time. 

some have mentioned Blackburn and Newcastle that were once in the mix, and now no longer. Same can be said about Leeds in the early noughties.

so I guess teams can drop out the big “whatever” but if you look at the clubs mentioned, they were all relegated and all northern clubs with less of a media presence.

if a spurs or arsenal over a number of seasons didn’t make the top 6, I still think prior to each season they would still be looked upon in the media as the “big 6/7/8” at that time.

I think you're right to a point. If Spurs did finish mid-table for a couple of seasons, I think they still would be seen as one of the big clubs at first, but I'm sure that would fade eventually if it carried on happening.

1 minute ago, 8starstriker8 said:

Just asked my mate who supports Utd for his combined 11. No surprise he only put 3 city players in his squad. What are these delusional people drinking? Rashford over vardy? Lindelof over cags? 

He most likely knows absolutely fuch all about football outside of what he reads on Twitter. That seems to be the case with the majority of people masquerading as Man Utd ‘fans’. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I've never really understood Spurs place in a so-called big 6. For much of the last 20 years they've been a mid-table team who made occasional forays into the higher placings

you might want to check out their placings over the past dozen years …….

Just now, st albans fox said:

you might want to check out their placings over the past dozen years …….

10 years.

The previous 10 between 8th and 13th. Before then you'd probably consider Aston Villa to be a top club.

The idea of an established big 6 is frankly just lazy journalism or a marketing tool. Probably both.

9 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

He most likely knows absolutely fuch all about football outside of what he reads on Twitter. That seems to be the case with the majority of people masquerading as Man Utd ‘fans’. 

Was planning on taking him to the shrink until he said he’d take Rodgers over ole. I think Rodgers is top 3 managers in PL atm. Would anyone out of top 4 not take Brendan? 

• Haha 1

Guest An Sionnach

When we get the stadium expansion and 40000 every home game perceptions will change. Given their stadiums and drawing power West Ham and Newcastle should be up there . West Ham in particular is the only major club in a massive built up area and should easily be up there with Arsenal,Spurs and Chelsea. At least we are now the biggest club in the Midlands.

5 minutes ago, 8starstriker8 said:

Just asked my mate who supports Utd for his combined 11. No surprise he only put 3 city players in his squad. What are these delusional people drinking? Rashford over vardy? Lindelof over cags? 

It beggars belief, doesn't it? I've seen it all recently. That bloke on The United Stand put only Chilwell in the defence of a combined XI. Who in their right mind would want any of AWB, Maguire or Lindelof over Ricardo, Evans or Soyuncu? I even saw someone saying that, surely, McTominay gets into a combined XI! He was shocked that someone would pick Ndidi over McTomineffinay. These people must assume that if a player is not at a big club, then he can't be that good. I'm sure of it.

Rashford over Vardy, though. Wow. It's like saying I'd rather have a turkey dinosaur than a Christmas roast dinner.

Most of us also believed this before he came here. Or maybe he has evolved and learned as a coach. Although the way he set his Celtic teams up away in Europe was disastrous and they get annihilated.

Edited by Koke

1 hour ago, 8starstriker8 said:

To be fair we all have a bias towards our own team.

When Campbell was saying he wouldn't choose any Leicester player over their Arsenal counterparts, I was thinking I'd be totally the opposite. Yet if I were honest, I wouldn't turn down the chance of signing a Lacazette or a Aubameyang, I just wouldn't swap one of them for Jamie.

43 minutes ago, Koke said:

Most of us also believed this before he came here. Or maybe he has evolved and learned as a coach. Although the way he set his Celtic teams up away in Europe was disastrous and they get annihilated.

Calm down, it’s just a “purple patch”  don’t you know? :ph34r:

4 hours ago, sm1 said:

They broke the British transfer record when they signed Francis. Even Derby broke the transfer record when they got David Nish off us. Both Forest and Derby achievements are great but the odds were so heavenly against us. Out gunned in the transfer market, avoided relegation, sacked our manager, got a new manager who alot people thought was a joke and still won the PL. You couldn't make it up. 

Although in all fairness we broke the British transfer record when we signed Alan Clarke... 

11 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

It's their attitude as a fanbase and a club in a nutshell. Living off reputation rather than what's in front of their eyes.

Bellerin is a good player but right now Ricardo is among the best full-backs in the league, currently only behind Trent at Liverpool in terms of right-backs.

Özil has an incredible CV, granted, but he hasn't consistently performed at an elite level for years. Maddison is a better team player and has been more consistent and more creative (which is literally both of their jobs) over the last 2 seasons.

Aubameyang vs Vardy is a worthy debate. I really like Aubameyang, he's a brilliant striker and probably slightly above Vardy's level. But he is just a goalscorer. Rodgers has got Vardy scoring a ton of goals again and playing selflessly for the team, so I'd rather have Jamie in our side.

Also, is it me or is Claude's belly button leaking? lol

Don't understand how they can argue Ozil v Maddison on the basis of their CVs, Ozil is 10 years older than Maddison of course he has a better CV. No surprise Kevin Campbell doesn't get regular pundit jobs, and that's saying something given the quality of pundits out there. :facepalm:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IsItMuzzy said:

Don't understand how they can argue Ozil v Maddison on the basis of their CVs, Ozil is 10 years older than Maddison of course he has a better CV. No surprise Kevin Campbell doesn't get regular pundit jobs, and that's saying something given the quality of pundits out there. :facepalm:

The absolute state of that 'show' as well, Campbell had to basically put those two numpties back on track as they'd lost their way within 30 seconds :thumbdown:

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

The idea of an established big 6 is frankly just lazy journalism or a marketing tool. Probably both.

Not really. They are the six teams that have been reliably competing for Champions League places this decade, and we were the first team from outside that six to finish in the top four since 2005

13 hours ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Ricardo doesnt get in their combined 11. 'Because if ricardo is so good why is he at leicester' 

Would never take ozil over maddison 

The guy trying to argue torreira over N'didi aswell. Oh my days they are the most delusional fan base in the world lol

You said it yourself, fans can't get more delusional than Arsenal and what we se on AFTV is probably the cream of the deluded crop the same lovely bunch who they continue to exploit endlessly for the sheer 'shock value' (not that I feel sorry for them, at least they earn some youtube money from all the melting in front of the camera).

Of course as others say, we being Leicester fans also have our delusions but ours are rather diminutive compared to theirs.

As for Ricardo, I remember one of the English commentators during the Arsenal game waxing about him (most of the team was complimented tbf), saying he's one of the few best full backs in the league or something to that extent, can't remember whether it was on NBC or Sky.

They weren't waxing about Bellerin much, especially after Madders scored lol

I'm not sure even Ozil would take himself over Maddison. He's had a mare against us.

Torreira? He isn't fit to tie Ndidi's laces lol

Edited by Chester Dontlie
  • Like 2