Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

47 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Ricardo doesnt get in their combined 11. 'Because if ricardo is so good why is he at leicester' 

Would never take ozil over maddison 

The guy trying to argue torreira over N'didi aswell. Oh my days they are the most delusional fan base in the world lol

It's their attitude as a fanbase and a club in a nutshell. Living off reputation rather than what's in front of their eyes.

Bellerin is a good player but right now Ricardo is among the best full-backs in the league, currently only behind Trent at Liverpool in terms of right-backs.

Özil has an incredible CV, granted, but he hasn't consistently performed at an elite level for years. Maddison is a better team player and has been more consistent and more creative (which is literally both of their jobs) over the last 2 seasons.

Aubameyang vs Vardy is a worthy debate. I really like Aubameyang, he's a brilliant striker and probably slightly above Vardy's level. But he is just a goalscorer. Rodgers has got Vardy scoring a ton of goals again and playing selflessly for the team, so I'd rather have Jamie in our side.

Also, is it me or is Claude's belly button leaking? lol

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

It's their attitude as a fanbase and a club in a nutshell. Living off reputation rather than what's in front of their eyes.

Bellerin is a good player but right now Ricardo is among the best full-backs in the league, currently only behind Trent at Liverpool in terms of right-backs.

Özil has an incredible CV, granted, but he hasn't consistently performed at an elite level for years. Maddison is a better team player and has been more consistent and more creative (which is literally both of their jobs) over the last 2 seasons.

Aubameyang vs Vardy is a worthy debate. I really like Aubameyang, he's a brilliant striker and probably slightly above Vardy's level. But he is just a goalscorer. Rodgers has got Vardy scoring a ton of goals again and playing selflessly for the team, so I'd rather have Jamie in our side.

Also, is it me or is Claude's belly button leaking? lol

Blasphemy!!!!!.

• Haha 1

Claude is the only guy speaking sense but he got get his point across very well haha

Campbell and the other guy need to wake up and realise just because they’re ‘Arsenal’ players don’t mean they’re any good! Spurs wanted Ricky P and who is better between them and arsenal at the moment... you’d have to say Spurs over the last few years!

We’ve beaten them Convincingly at our place 3 years in a row so they better start given us more credit!

22 minutes ago, Koke said:

The only way our players will get the respect they deserve is if they finish top 4 and do well in the Champions League. 

I sincerely wish this were true. It would take consistency over 2 or more seasons you would imagine.

The more established clubs, those with the global brands, the highest social media footprint, the "cannibal clubs" (If I may), those that ravage perceived smaller clubs of not just players, but also staff, will surely attempt to reset the perceived "natural order" via top purchases or stripping of these pretender clubs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Speaking of big 2/big 4/big 6, anyone have any others from yesteryear?

Slighty before my time but were Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, Spurs, Man U considered a big 5 in the 80s?

Pre-Premier League, the top teams in Division One were much more fluid.  Resources were less of a determining issue, so bigger clubs that had an exceptional manager, like at Leeds (early 70s) or Liverpool, dominated for a period (in Liverpool's case for much of the 70s and 80s) before being dragged back into the mundane mass.

It was much easier for teams like Ipswich, Forest or Derby to have an exceptional season or two, win the title, and then likewise return to their "normal" level. 

So in short, those 5 teams were considered to be big teams, but they all had periods when they were either in the lower reaches of Division One (Arsenal, Everton) or indeed dropped into Division Two for a season (Man Utd and Tottenham). 

1 hour ago, Fox1970 said:

Pre-Premier League, the top teams in Division One were much more fluid.  Resources were less of a determining issue, so bigger clubs that had an exceptional manager, like at Leeds (early 70s) or Liverpool, dominated for a period (in Liverpool's case for much of the 70s and 80s) before being dragged back into the mundane mass.

It was much easier for teams like Ipswich, Forest or Derby to have an exceptional season or two, win the title, and then likewise return to their "normal" level. 

So in short, those 5 teams were considered to be big teams, but they all had periods when they were either in the lower reaches of Division One (Arsenal, Everton) or indeed dropped into Division Two for a season (Man Utd and Tottenham). 

Good point that I keep overlooking.

In terms of shock value, I'd almost put a Derby, Ipswich, Forest top tier title win pre premier league on par with say, the shock value of say, thinking Preston winning the Championship before the season began, ie, it would be unlikely / a bit of a surprise but not something an incredibly unheard of occurrence, albeit still an achievement.

6 hours ago, Koke said:

5 seasons at Spurs and each season has been an improvement on the previous, until now. It's not his fault there are several key players out of contract and thus look unmotivated. Poch deserves a chance to rectify this situation and rebuild the squad. 

Poch is a brilliant coach and I doubt Spurs will get anyone better.

Spurs have been getting points season on season.

16/17 86

17/18 77

18/19 71

Edited by hackneyfox

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

Good point that I keep overlooking.

In terms of shock value, I'd almost put a Derby, Ipswich, Forest top tier title win pre premier league on par with say, the shock value of say, thinking Preston winning the Championship before the season began, ie, it would be unlikely / a bit of a surprise but not something an incredibly unheard of occurrence, albeit still an achievement.

Think that's undercutting it a bit. Don't particularly like saying it, but the successes of Forest & Derby under Clough in the 70s were incredible achievements (not to mention the European Cups!)

At the time it was massive and something that I, as a Leicester fan, found it difficult to take.

It was a far bigger shock than (for instance) Preston winning the Championship.

Think Clough's amazing achievements have been slightly downplayed for probably similar reasons pundits diss us, as discussed (exhaustively) on these pages..,

3 minutes ago, LC/FC said:

Are all these ex London club players just brain dead?

*checks league table for us and Spurs*

Tbf he was linked with them before he came here but either Poch didn't want him or Levy refused to cough up the money required. It's too late now though. They have a big rebuilding job at Tottenham.

14 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

But that will happen and continue to happen and it’s up to the club to bring themselves out of that scenario and into the elite bubble.

it use to be the top 2: Arsenal and Man U

then it became the top 4: adding Chelsea and Liverpool to the mix

then, finally the top 6: with Man City and Spurs being added to the elite. 

Go back 5/10 years and Man City and Spurs fans were probably having the same arguments with the media that we are having now. Man City, in their early years of the takeover were not taken seriously. They were always seen as a side that will be in United’s shadow. Spurs were a joke. Remember Sir Alex Ferguson half time team talk where he said to his players: “lads, it’s spurs”. Those clubs came up only recently. 

Its up to us to break or attempt to break the norm or the perceived norm at this stage. Our business next summer has to be on point. We cocked up 2016 massively and since then have traded like a big club. Players will leave. They still leave the elite 6 now (Sanchez, Coutinho, Walker, Suarez). It’s how we replace those players that matters. Consistency leads to expectations, expectation is what makes you thrive for success and success brings about a normality to the rest that Leicester should be up there.

for now though, we have to take these comments which we don’t like because it’s the elite six that sell the game around the world. We need to want to be a part of those games.

I think the narrative changes almost every season there was a point where the top 7 was being brandished which Everton was considered a part of. 

Edited by whoareyaaa

10 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Think that's undercutting it a bit. Don't particularly like saying it, but the successes of Forest & Derby under Clough in the 70s were incredible achievements (not to mention the European Cups!)

At the time it was massive and something that I, as a Leicester fan, found it difficult to take.

It was a far bigger shock than (for instance) Preston winning the Championship.

Think Clough's amazing achievements have been slightly downplayed for probably similar reasons pundits diss us, as discussed (exhaustively) on these pages..,

I know a lot of Forest fans who weren’t happy with the media calling our title win the best/biggest shock in football. But having not been around then I can’t quite understand how it was such a massive shock when they broke transfer records and signed the likes of Peter Shilton. Don’t get me wrong still deserve credit but I don’t think the gap was that huge anyway and it seems like they closed it with big signings.

7 hours ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Ricardo doesnt get in their combined 11. 'Because if ricardo is so good why is he at leicester' 

Would never take ozil over maddison 

The guy trying to argue torreira over N'didi aswell. Oh my days they are the most delusional fan base in the world lol

Campbell started off by saying "given the choice, I wouldn't choose any Leicester player over the Arsenal equivalent..."

Here's a tip Kevin (good player when he was at loan here btw). Look at the table. The table doesn't lie.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Yes said:

I know a lot of Forest fans who weren’t happy with the media calling our title win the best/biggest shock in football. But having not been around then I can’t quite understand how it was such a massive shock when they broke transfer records and signed the likes of Peter Shilton. Don’t get me wrong still deserve credit but I don’t think the gap was that huge anyway and it seems like they closed it with big signings.

They paid a good whack for Shilton, understandably, but a lot of the others came pretty cheap - McGovern, Burns, Robertson, Lloyd, Peter Withe (replaced by Birtles who came from non-league from memory).

Don't think they signed Trevor Francis until the season after they won the 1st Division (think L'pool won it that year, though Forest got the European Cup).

Hate to say it, but winning the league with a newly-promoted team, and 2 European Cups WAS a massive achievement and just because it happened a good while ago, and to our detested neighbours, shouldn't detract from that. 

As to whether our 15/16 triumph was more remarkable - well to us it was, of course.

And that's what matters, isn't it?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Satisfaction comes after vanquishing an intelligent foe.

So it’s hard to get much joy off the wailing on AFTV.

There’s a bigger sense of victory looking at turnips you just pulled out of the ground.

The reason Ricardo is at us is because we wanted him more. There seems to be a belief that players have to prove themselves at a "lesser" team before making the supposed step up. Man United could've had Maguire two years ago, anyone could've had Ricardo, Maddison, Tielemans if they wanted to but didn't.

Now they'll have to pay possibly double or treble the price. Hard luck.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

But that will happen and continue to happen and it’s up to the club to bring themselves out of that scenario and into the elite bubble.

it use to be the top 2: Arsenal and Man U

then it became the top 4: adding Chelsea and Liverpool to the mix

then, finally the top 6: with Man City and Spurs being added to the elite. 

Go back 5/10 years and Man City and Spurs fans were probably having the same arguments with the media that we are having now. Man City, in their early years of the takeover were not taken seriously. They were always seen as a side that will be in United’s shadow. Spurs were a joke. Remember Sir Alex Ferguson half time team talk where he said to his players: “lads, it’s spurs”. Those clubs came up only recently. 

Its up to us to break or attempt to break the norm or the perceived norm at this stage. Our business next summer has to be on point. We cocked up 2016 massively and since then have traded like a big club. Players will leave. They still leave the elite 6 now (Sanchez, Coutinho, Walker, Suarez). It’s how we replace those players that matters. Consistency leads to expectations, expectation is what makes you thrive for success and success brings about a normality to the rest that Leicester should be up there.

for now though, we have to take these comments which we don’t like because it’s the elite six that sell the game around the world. We need to want to be a part of those games.

Top post, this is my view too. It’s for us to build our global brand and turn the “big 6” into the “big 7”

1 hour ago, Yes said:

They broke the British transfer record when they signed Francis. Even Derby broke the transfer record when they got David Nish off us. Both Forest and Derby achievements are great but the odds were so heavenly against us. Out gunned in the transfer market, avoided relegation, sacked our manager, got a new manager who alot people thought was a joke and still won the PL. You couldn't make it up. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, coalvillefox said:

Or replace one of the big 6 with us. Possibly Arsenal by the looks of things.

I did think that, but I think arsenal and others have too much influence in the media. It will take them being relegated I think to then have a new “big 6”

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, turkish14 said:

Top post, this is my view too. It’s for us to build our global brand and turn the “big 6” into the “big 7”

I think this is the likeliest although spurs need to be careful about losing global brand awareness they have cultivated past decade. They could drop out of the six....... (and most relevant - they haven’t won anything  for more than a generation) 

Edited by st albans fox