Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

I have respect for hiw he played when he was with us and I don't really care about what he said/did after he left. The thing that annoys me is that he's on record saying he hated his time here (which is fair enough, we weren't the easiest club to play for at the time) yet after one of the pivotal games in the title run, he's phoning up 5 Live on the verge of tears and constantly reminding everyone that he played for us and that he really loves the club. Just to make himself more relevant. His opinion of this club only changed because it suits him.

https://www.football365.com/news/leicester-are-one-fine-summer-from-a-champions-league-squad

Big statement about the squad and the potential. The Champions League will be a serious task (even on this season we'd need another 20 points) but plenty of points in the article resonate. I think that we are settled on a path for the first time since the title win with the younger group and ambitious manager, just hope it lives up to some of the hype.

EDIT- Didn't see the thread about it. Move if required, please :)

• Like 1

he was a quality servant for us and I personally like that he will often talk bollocks in the media, at least he says what he thinks rather than talking in clichés like people like Jenas do

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Jimmy said:

he was a quality servant for us and I personally like that he will often talk bollocks in the media, at least he says what he thinks rather than talking in clichés like people like Jenas do

Worst is Martin Keown, couldn’t pronounce “Ozaki” and “Wasiloooski” as well. And all he ever did for us was get a red card away to QPR

Edited by What the Fuchs?

5 hours ago, What the Fuchs? said:

Worst is Martin Keown, couldn’t pronounce “Ozaki” and “Wasiloooski” as well. And all he ever did for us was get a red card away to QPR

He did worse than that. He was toxic in the dressing room. He’s a **** of the highest order. 

7 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

...and one undeserved loss.

7. Swindon, 1993

Perhaps Leicester deserved a spot of luck in 1994 after what happened to them in their play-off final against Swindon one year previously. This seven-goal Wembley showdown between Foxes and Robins is often cited as the greatest promotion contest of all time – and it’s easy to see why.

After a quiet first half, Swindon headed into the break with a slender 1-0 lead thanks to a goal from player-manager Glenn Hoddle. But the Robins started the second period with a bang. Less than 10 minutes after the restart, the Wiltshire side were 3-0 to the good and coasting towards the top flight – only for Leicester to stage one of the comebacks of the season.

Well, almost. Julian Joachim’s 57th-minute effort put wind in the Foxes’ sails, and quickfire strikes from Steves Walsh and Thompson drew them level with 20 minutes left to play. A thrilling tie hung in the balance, but sadly it was a contentious penalty that decided it six minutes from time.

After their almighty fightback, Leicester’s top-flight ambitions were derailed when goalkeeper Kevin Poole was harshly adjudged to have fouled Steve White in the area. Paul Bodin stepped up and buried the spot-kick that fired the Robins to a new nesting ground: the Premier League.

Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/8-most-undeserved-promotions-football-league-efl-history-premier-league-play-offs#ZrBsOmZwr3mpdXSE.99

The Blackburn one was pretty seedy as well.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

7. Swindon, 1993

Perhaps Leicester deserved a spot of luck in 1994 after what happened to them in their play-off final against Swindon one year previously. This seven-goal Wembley showdown between Foxes and Robins is often cited as the greatest promotion contest of all time – and it’s easy to see why.

After a quiet first half, Swindon headed into the break with a slender 1-0 lead thanks to a goal from player-manager Glenn Hoddle. But the Robins started the second period with a bang. Less than 10 minutes after the restart, the Wiltshire side were 3-0 to the good and coasting towards the top flight – only for Leicester to stage one of the comebacks of the season.

Well, almost. Julian Joachim’s 57th-minute effort put wind in the Foxes’ sails, and quickfire strikes from Steves Walsh and Thompson drew them level with 20 minutes left to play. A thrilling tie hung in the balance, but sadly it was a contentious penalty that decided it six minutes from time.

After their almighty fightback, Leicester’s top-flight ambitions were derailed when goalkeeper Kevin Poole was harshly adjudged to have fouled Steve White in the area. Paul Bodin stepped up and buried the spot-kick that fired the Robins to a new nesting ground: the Premier League.

Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/8-most-undeserved-promotions-football-league-efl-history-premier-league-play-offs#ZrBsOmZwr3mpdXSE.99

Gaining promotion under administration was admittedly a bit of shithousery. But my recollection of the 1994 playoff final was not that we were lucky, except perhaps for Paul Williams' air-header on the line for our equaliser.

1 hour ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

How were 4 and 6 undeserved? Half of them (including ours) are fair enough. But you can't judge a promotion on one decision in a play-off game.

I can't see how Bolton's promotion is any different to other teams going up through a play-off?

5 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

“The foxes still would have finished above Warnock’s blades in 2nd and 3rd place respectively had a 10 point deduction taken place” 

Well...if that doesn’t just about say it all I don’t know what does 

**** me sideways 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I remember that 93/94 season well. It was probably one of the hardest championship/division 1 seasons to get promoted from. 

The two teams who went up automatically were basically premiership teams. Palace who finished top had guys like Salako, Armstrong, Shaw, Martyn and Gordon all who were good premiership players and who had good careers. Forest who finished second were again a very good team. They had Collymore banging them in and then players like Stone, Chettle, Cooper, Crossley and Woan who were again prem ready players who all again had good careers after that in the premiership.

You then had a Tranmere side who were very strong with guys like Aldridge and Nevin and Derby’s side was also very good with players like Kitson, Johnson, Shaw, Charles, Gabbiadini and Harkes. 

On the budget we had with a squad full of journeymen and cast offs, not only did we do well do go up, it was an achievement to compete in that league. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, davieG said:

7. Swindon, 1993

Although we absolutely took the piss finishing about 20 points behind third placed Pompey and then beating them in semi finals thanks to an extremely offside goal 

15 hours ago, Corky said:

How were 4 and 6 undeserved? Half of them (including ours) are fair enough. But you can't judge a promotion on one decision in a play-off game.

I can't see how Bolton's promotion is any different to other teams going up through a play-off?

I think the point is they didn’t deserve to be promoted ahead of Reading who finished second but because of the reduction of PL teams didn’t get automatic promotion.

15 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

2. Leicester, 2003

Leicester 2002-03

As the 2002/03 campaign kicked off, Leicester were mired by financial turmoil off the pitch and still licking their wounds from top-flight relegation. They were a stricken club – so much so that new signings Billy McKinlay and Nicky Summerbee were playing for free – yet booked an immediate Premier League return with an impressive points haul of 92.

But points and results don’t tell the whole story. The Foxes went into administration in October 2002 with debts of £30m, which would have been more problematic for them in later seasons. Rival managers, led by then Sheffield United boss Neil Warnock, complained to the Football League and measures were later introduced (from 2004/05) that docked clubs in administration 10 points.

“I find it quite im­moral that they’ve been allowed to do what they’ve done off the field,” the Blades boss wrote in programme notes. “Otherwise, everyone who has huge debts will do exactly the same and it leaves clubs like ourselves – who run a tight financial ship – at a huge disadvantage.”

He had a point. In fairness, Leicester would still have finished above Warnock’s third-placed Blades in the automatic promotion places had they been docked 10 points that year, but the Foxes’ administration took the shine off their accomplishments.

The company that built their new stadium in 2002 was forced to write off a final payment of £5.5m, and the East Midlands Ambulance Service was left with a shortfall of around £16,000. The relative success of the Micky Adams era came with a darker undercurrent.

Weird how they don’t bother to mention why we were in administration as two of the factors (ITV and Dennis Wise’s agent) were completely beyond our control. And while our stadium situation was difficult there are other clubs (Man City £140m and West Ham £700m) who were gifted world class stadiums at the cost of the taxpayer with hardly any contribution or consequences whatsoever. We didn’t break any rules and even the punishment for breaking the rules that were brought in the following season wouldn’t have stopped us getting promoted anyway.  

Correct me if I'm wrong but if this hapened now then, yes, we'd be docked 12 points, but we'd also receive parachute payments which would almost certainly mean administration being avoided anyhow. 

I'm not going to go over too much old ground but we weren't the only team to go into administration that season... Ipswich, who didn't manage to mount a successful promotion campaign. We wee only mentioned as we achieved promotion. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Plastik Man said:

I'm not going to go over too much old ground but we weren't the only team to go into administration that season... Ipswich, who didn't manage to mount a successful promotion campaign. We wee only mentioned as we achieved promotion

I believe also it was the Ipswich Chairman or ex who campaigned to bring in the points deduction.

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

I think the point is they didn’t deserve to be promoted ahead of Reading who finished second but because of the reduction of PL teams didn’t get automatic promotion.

But that's an unfortunate consequence of the restructuring. They knew the situation before the season started. 

And were 2-0 up with a missed penalty in the final.

RE stringer - it is not black and white.  Maybe the gesture thing was a mistake and he should apologise.

However, I would like Stringer's questions to be tougher. 

As fans we cannot question our managers - often puel just spouted rubbish and was unchallenged (eg. claud, you say the same things every week and it is not believable... why are you saying these things to the fans who pay money?) ... and it is like he'd watch a different game.  Same for Pearson (though he did gain a fan's insight when he watched from the stand)...and Claudio and Shakey.

I don't expect the managers to dis player - but i would like them to say "This or that are thing s we need to work on and I want to assure the fans that we will be working our arses off to do so.

I would like him to ask the manger to explain teams selections and substitutions and putt eh thins the fans are saying.

It is very difficult for players to talk to the media - they don't necessarily want to follow the manager's line - but they can't undermine him either.  Matty James was always honest - but he isbright enough to sidestep the difficult questions.

So - I don't care if the player don't talk to stringers - but I would like stringer[put put he question that fans want answered.  

Stringer is not perfect - but he is reasonable... we should; encourage him to be more bold

2 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

RE stringer - it is not black and white.  Maybe the gesture thing was a mistake and he should apologise.

However, I would like Stringer's questions to be tougher. 

As fans we cannot question our managers - often puel just spouted rubbish and was unchallenged (eg. claud, you say the same things every week and it is not believable... why are you saying these things to the fans who pay money?) ... and it is like he'd watch a different game.  Same for Pearson (though he did gain a fan's insight when he watched from the stand)...and Claudio and Shakey.

I don't expect the managers to dis player - but i would like them to say "This or that are thing s we need to work on and I want to assure the fans that we will be working our arses off to do so.

I would like him to ask the manger to explain teams selections and substitutions and putt eh thins the fans are saying.

It is very difficult for players to talk to the media - they don't necessarily want to follow the manager's line - but they can't undermine him either.  Matty James was always honest - but he isbright enough to sidestep the difficult questions.

So - I don't care if the player don't talk to stringers - but I would like stringer[put put he question that fans want answered.  

Stringer is not perfect - but he is reasonable... we should; encourage him to be more bold

Did you mean to post this in here - 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EverybodyDannsNow said:

Not surprised to see our 3-1 loss away to Spurs get a mention in that article. 

That was one of the most bizarre games ever. We literally battered them, created 4 or 5 clear chances, stayed solid at the back and still managed to lose 3-1!

I was certainly Puel-out but couldn't help feeling sorry for him that day. It was the biggest 'false result' I think I've ever seen. I'd actually go as far as saying it was one of our best performances under him. 

It was a very dominant performance from us but not false, if you don’t take your chances you can’t win games!

On 23/05/2019 at 07:48, Danizen said:

I have respect for hiw he played when he was with us and I don't really care about what he said/did after he left. The thing that annoys me is that he's on record saying he hated his time here (which is fair enough, we weren't the easiest club to play for at the time) yet after one of the pivotal games in the title run, he's phoning up 5 Live on the verge of tears and constantly reminding everyone that he played for us and that he really loves the club. Just to make himself more relevant. His opinion of this club only changed because it suits him.

Shame if true. Can you share a link where he stated this mate?