Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

1 hour ago, davieG said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/leicesters-brendan-rodgers-can-last-18206826

Leicester's Brendan Rodgers can have last laugh over 'David Brent' wisecracks
Leicester are going to be no joke this season under Rodgers, who is often mocked but ticks all the boxes as a boss

ByRobbie Fowler
08:30, 14 JUL 2019

Fowler rates Rodgers highly as a coach and man-manager and fancies Leicester to push for Europe (Image: PA Wire)

Brendan Rodgers is regarded by some as the David Brent of ­football.

But I’ve got a feeling that the critics who like to make a bit of comedy capital out of the Irishman’s sometimes cliched media quotes won’t be laughing at him next season.

Forget the perception that Brendan is a joke – the reality is that he’s an elite-level manager who came back to where he belongs when Leicester lured him away from Celtic last February.

And, while there’s a good chance that it will be all the usual suspects at the top of the Premier League again next year, if there is a boss who is ­capable of upsetting the top-six status quo, then it’s Brendan.

Believe me, behind that fluoride smile and gentle Ulster lilt, is a fella who ticks all the boxes when it comes to football management.

I was lucky to get an up-close-and-personal view of Brendan in action during the three-and-a-half years he was Liverpool boss.

I was very impressed – and, were it not for that cruel slip by Steven ­Gerrard against Chelsea in 2014 then it’s almost certain he would have become the first manager to parade the title in front of the Kop since Kenny Dalglish in 1990.

I was a regular observer at Liverpool’s Melwood training ground when Brendan was in charge at Anfield. His sessions always challenged the players to improve – and the level of organisation was just as impressive.

Sometimes the gaffer would spot me in the distance and come over for a chat to explain what he was working on and how he could achieve it. As a coach, he had no qualms about passing on his knowledge and expertise.

New boss Rodgers hit the ground running last season — and almost cost Man City the title (Image: Action Images via Reuters)
He is such an open guy, who believes he will only convince players to play his way if he is open and honest with them.

Brendan isn’t just an innovative coach, he is a ­brilliant man-­manager who tries to get into the heads of the people he works with so he can bring the best out of them.

Top managers aren’t one-­dimensional, they have a full toolkit of skills, from coaching and man-management through to tactical acumen and an ability to adapt. It didn’t end well for Brendan at Liverpool, of course, but his ­achievements in almost three full ­seasons in Glasgow are nothing short of sensational.

Yes, I’ve heard all the grumbles about the SPL becoming a one-team ­competition in the years when Rangers were fighting their way back to the top.

The Celtic side Rodgers built has won three domestic Trebles in a row (Image: Daily Record)
But Celtic have just completed three successive domestic Trebles.

And every successful manager will tell you that keeping players focused and motivated when they are so ­dominant is one of their toughest tasks.

Brendan has ­returned from north of the border as a better manager.

His impact at Leicester was ­immediate – and I can only see that continuing because it looks like such a good fit.

The Foxes have got a very decent squad, which was underachieving under Claude Puel.

Results got better instantly – and Leicester’s penultimate game of the season at Manchester City illustrated how cleverly Brendan can school his players tactically.

Leicester are giving Rodgers new toys to play with by signing the likes of Ayoze Perez (Image: Leicester City FC via Getty Imag)
Pep Guardiola tried everything to break the Foxes down and it needed a ­sensational strike by Vincent Kompany to win the game and keep the title at the Etihad.

Leicester have already done good business in signing Youri Tielemans and Ayoze Perez.

And they might have another £90million to invest in new players if Harry Maguire departs.

The owners clearly want to build on the magnificent legacy left by chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha when he died in tragic circumstances last season.

Leicester no longer regard finishing ninth as a successful season – and they now have a manager who feels exactly the same way.

I’m looking forward to seeing Brendan Rodgers make more than a few people look a bit foolish.

Love Robbie, secretly one of my favourite footballers of all time. Would have killed to have him at Leicester even in his latter years. Top bloke too I reckon. 

• Like 1

Rodgers will probably have had to say outlandish things to be heard, he wasn't a top manager when he got the Liverpool job. Now he has a better reputation and will be more considered in what he says.

6 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Came across very well on the Harry Heroes programme. Particularly in the support of Merson

Yeah he came across very decent on there...apart from the night he went out on the lash and refused to get out of bed in the morning for training lol

Edited by SecretPro

20 hours ago, SecretPro said:

Yeah he came across very decent on there...apart from the night he went out on the lash and refused to get out of bed in the morning for training lol

That was the best bit! Endearing lol 

• Haha 1

Just now, urban.spaceman said:

Just reading through this now. Very good analysis. 

Yeah it's better than most.  Some of it you can tell is written by someone not super close to the club (we haven't realy shifted from a counter attacking team under Rodgers, we were already making that transition) but in general it is great.  The maps showing where we regained possession pre and post Rodgers is really telling and the position of Ndidi interesting too.  Good article.

On 14/07/2019 at 21:46, Arriba Los Zorros said:

I always thought Fowler seemed a nasty piece of work, TBH. But nice article.

That's the impression I got, as well. I think he's probably funny (his horse naming was great), but mean.

There's an Athletico Mince episode where Bob Mortimer says he met him and he was awful. He said something really nasty to Matt Lucas. Wouldn't even repeat it, it was that bad. He said McManaman was sound - stepped in as peacemaker.

1 hour ago, Raw Dykes said:

That's the impression I got, as well. I think he's probably funny (his horse naming was great), but mean.

There's an Athletico Mince episode where Bob Mortimer says he met him and he was awful. He said something really nasty to Matt Lucas. Wouldn't even repeat it, it was that bad. He said McManaman was sound - stepped in as peacemaker.

Yeah, comes over as an arsehole and a bully, TBH. The lad in the group who has a few drinks and becomes aggressive 

• Like 1

https://lastwordonfootball.com/2019/07/17/leicester-city-brendan-rodgers/

Preview: Leicester City Under Brendan Rodgers
By Aaryan Singh - July 17, 2019
Share on Facebook Tweet on Twitter  
brendan rodgers
LEICESTER, ENGLAND - MAY 12: Leicester City manager Brendan Rodgers walks around the pitch during the lap of appreciation after the Premier League match between Leicester City and Chelsea FC at The King Power Stadium on May 12, 2019 in Leicester, United Kingdom. (Photo by Clive Mason/Getty Images)
No football fan will ever forget the stunning Eden Hazard strike for Chelsea that beat Tottenham Hotspur, therefore crowning Leicester City champions of England. Videos of the Leicester squad celebrating went viral on social media almost instantly. They must’ve thought that it was the club’s greatest achievement and nothing in the future could match it. Perhaps nothing can. But they can get continental again. The Leicester City fans could be excited for European Football under Brendan Rodgers.

Brendan Rodgers’ Leicester City
The Appointment of Brendan Rodgers
Leicester City is building towards something big under Brendan Rodgers, or so it seems. Eyebrows were raised when Claude Puel was sacked, despite being mid-table. But the appointment of Brendan Rodgers appealed to the squad as well as the fans. His record at Liverpool and Celtic is impressive. He took Liverpool to the cusp of their maiden Premier League title and laid the foundation for another domestic treble in Scotland. Swansea City fans also cherish his time in the Welsh City. A serious, workmanlike character, Rodgers always seems like a man on a mission.

His football philosophy is clear- simple, effective and attacking. His teams like having the ball but are not obsessed with it. He works hard on developing attacking partnerships as can be seen with the attacking trident of Suarez, Sturridge, and Sterling at Liverpool. His attacking mindset has acted as a catalyst towards Leicester players upping their game. Jamie Vardy, Demarai Gray, James Maddison, and Harvey Barnes look like different players under Rodgers. Their pace, power, and energy worked wonders towards the end of the Premier League season in 2018-19.

The squad
Leicester City has made some of the most sensible transfers in recent seasons. Youri Tielemans‘ permanent transfer and Ayoze Perez‘s arrival at the King Power are the latest of a lot of value-driven signings in recent windows. Jonny Evans, Gray, Ricardo Pereira, and Harry Maguire were all bought from clubs looking to sell while also fitting into the system at Leicester. Maguire is the most prized asset right now, with both Manchester clubs interested in securing his services. If either of them were to buy him, they would be paying a world-record fee for a defender.

Regardless of whether that valuation is correct, it shows how far the English defender has come in the past year with Leicester. In the worst case of him being sold (despite LCFC being under no obligation to sell), Leicester will likely find a suitable replacement for him. According to reports, the foxes have agreed to a club-record deal with Brighton and Hove Albion to sign Lewis Dunk as a potential replacement for the England international. Dunk was one of the few bright lights in a disappointing last season for Brighton. The club is also competing with Arsenal for midfielder Dennis Praet of Sampdoria. With the forward line being packed and injections of players in defence and midfield, Leicester has a comfortable squad size considering they aren’t in Europe either.

The Leicester Mentality
As a club, Leicester has gone through a lot since it came back to the Premier League in 2014. The club narrowly escaped relegation in their first season back. However, even the great escape couldn’t help Nigel Pearson save his job. The club released a statement saying, “the relationship between the club and coach was ‘no longer viable’. The appointment of Claudio Ranieri also raised questions with his recent projects not glittering with success. But all of that was forgotten with the final whistle at Stamford Bridge confirming the unthinkable- the foxes became English Champions.

Despite his status as a club legend, Ranieri got no grace time. Following a poor league start, he was unceremoniously sacked after an apparent meeting between senior players and then club chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha. It resulted in an upturn in form and Leicester finished comfortably in mid-table under Craig Shakespeare.

Shakespeare got the sack. Claude Puel replaced him after a poor start to the 2017-18 season. The club still recovered to finish mid-table. Last season, Leicester wept as Club Chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha died in a helicopter crash outside the King Power Stadium. However, it came back with typical gusto as Gray scored the winner on an emotional night against Cardiff. Puel got the sack after four straight home losses. They recovered under Rodgers and finished strongly, ending 9th on the table.

Context
It’s this passion, dedication, and commitment that builds the character of a team. ‘Big teams’ like Arsenal and Manchester United are desperately looking for these qualities in their players.

Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea all seem in shambles right now. Lacklustre transfer activity or the lack thereof has made them vulnerable. Wolves have a European season to look forward to. West Ham could be realistic challengers. But, with the core of the team remaining the same and having a steel-like mentality, Leicester City is poised to break the big six with Brendan Rodgers at the helm of it all.

33 minutes ago, davieG said:

The club narrowly escaped relegation in their first season back. However, even the great escape couldn’t help Nigel Pearson save his job. The club released a statement saying, “the relationship between the club and coach was ‘no longer viable’. 

Blimey.  This is some serious airbrushing of how it occurred. 

Must be a family-friendly publication.  

1 hour ago, Vacamion said:

Blimey.  This is some serious airbrushing of how it occurred. 

Must be a family-friendly publication. 

Yeah. The details weren't exactly Disney-esque.

I don't know how you'd write it to give it a U/PG certificate.

"The club narrowly escaped relegation in their first season back. However, even the great escape couldn’t help Nigel Pearson save his job. A video leaked of Pearson's son, a youth player for the club, involved, with team-mates, in a group kiss and cuddle with some Thai professional lovers. One of said team-mates made some rude comments regarding the origin of a lady of assignation who was kissing his behind at the time. The club released a statement saying, “the relationship between the club and coach was ‘no longer viable’."

I'm sure someone can do a better job. Than I did writing that, I mean - not the prostitute. She earnt her money that day.

• Haha 3