Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

4 hours ago, GeorgeTheFox said:

All the pundits who slated us for sacking Puel saying we were expecting too much and should be grateful for avoiding relegation are now predicting us to finish top 6 and calling us dark horses. Modern journalism and footy analysis is wank 

For the gutter press its either all about building a team up or knocking them down. 

Stability doesnt sell.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bourbon Fox said:

Just another journalist...

Setting us up, waiting for us to fall short on his reported expectations,so he has a remarkable story on "top club" failure!!

Need to dampen down some of the hype. No point ramping up the expectation level too much. Part of Rodgers job is to raise the players expectations, the fans job is to encourage those players to hit those heights especially when we hit the inevitable rocky moments.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, l444ry said:

Need to dampen down some of the hype. No point ramping up the expectation level too much. Part of Rodgers job is to raise the players expectations, the fans job is to encourage those players to hit those heights especially when we hit the inevitable rocky moments.

Completely agree. We've basically added Perez to the starting line up which finished last season. Everyone doubting Man utd and Arsenal need to realise we finished quite a long way behind them last season. Not saying it isn't possible to finish top 6 but top 4 is unlikely. There will be pressure on the squad to perfom this season where there hasn't been so much in previous years. How we deal with that will be key as will the start to the season. A couple of early defeats will dent confidence and belief.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, l444ry said:

Why? This is the best sqaud of players we have ever had. If we can't get over excited now, when can we? **** it we gonna win the league. :scarf:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, l444ry said:

Not so sure, what was it the great man said?

’keep dreaming!’ 

:claudio:

Edited by Vlad the Fox

3 hours ago, l444ry said:

I agree to an extent, even though I do understand the excitement about us. As it stands though we still are the same limited team if Tielemans or Maddison are unavailable and likewise out wide we still look ordinary. Rodgers methods are likely to make us improve but I think we need to see a couple more in and several leave before I'm happy with the squad and truly believe we can challenge for top 6.

30 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I agree to an extent, even though I do understand the excitement about us. As it stands though we still are the same limited team if Tielemans or Maddison are unavailable and likewise out wide we still look ordinary. Rodgers methods are likely to make us improve but I think we need to see a couple more in and several leave before I'm happy with the squad and truly believe we can challenge for top 6.

Agree, baring Perez we’re the same team that ended last season with a little depth added, this is why I think it’s rumoured we’re still looking to add quality. I think arsenal, chelsea and particularly man u could have tough seasons on their hands to claim that fourth spot and maybe they could face a serious challenge for sixth however if we are to become a serious contender to challenging for a top six finish we need to see similar levels of spending over the next few seasons to build the quality of the squad and the quality of its depth. 

5 hours ago, reynard said:

Completely agree. We've basically added Perez to the starting line up which finished last season. Everyone doubting Man utd and Arsenal need to realise we finished quite a long way behind them last season. Not saying it isn't possible to finish top 6 but top 4 is unlikely. There will be pressure on the squad to perfom this season where there hasn't been so much in previous years. How we deal with that will be key as will the start to the season. A couple of early defeats will dent confidence and belief.

Both Arsenal and Man U will lose points next season,just for the fact that their usual tactic of blatantly cheating won’t be so easy with VAR.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Why? This is the best sqaud of players we have ever had. If we can't get over excited now, when can we? **** it we gonna win the league. :scarf:

What about 2015/16??   ort The Bloomfield boys, Sure this squad looks pretty good and to be honest I am very excited to see where we can go if we can keep the core of this group together and add extra quality as and when needed so they can mature together as a team.

Best ever? not yet but they could be.in fact they could be awesome and I really do think we can win something with this crop and be a real force for a considerable time to come

13 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

Both Arsenal and Man U will lose points next season,just for the fact that their usual tactic of blatantly cheating won’t be so easy with VAR.

All I'll say is - thank Fuchs it wasn't in place when we had Huth and Wasilewski doing their thing. :thumbup:

6 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

And to perhaps a greater extent when Walshy and Elliott were playing. 

Walshy managed to pick up plenty of reds without the help of VAR. Wonder how many extra minutes would have been added on after all the VAR interventions in some of his games against Steve Bull !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, urban fox said:

Walshy managed to pick up plenty of reds without the help of VAR. Wonder how many extra minutes would have been added on after all the VAR interventions in some of his games against Steve Bull !

I'd love to have seen that neck chop on Chris Sutton on the big screen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'd love to have seen that neck chop on Chris Sutton on the big screen.

Never mind cards if VAR was around back in the day there would have been a few assault and GBH charges flying around. I am all for cleaning the game up but there was something about seeing the likes of Norman Hunter and Ron Harris "getting stuck in". They weren't known as "Bites yer legs off" and "chopper" for nothing.  And they were the good guys!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=chopper+harris&view=detail&mid=4E690D3E80E80EA0405A4E690D3E80E80EA0405A&FORM=VIRE

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Never mind cards if VAR was around back in the day there would have been a few assault and GBH charges flying around. I am all for cleaning the game up but there was something about seeing the likes of Norman Hunter and Ron Harris "getting stuck in". They weren't known as "Bites yer legs off" and "chopper" for nothing.  And they were the good guys!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=chopper+harris&view=detail&mid=4E690D3E80E80EA0405A4E690D3E80E80EA0405A&FORM=VIRE

We had Chopper Chalmers when Harris was still in nappies.

12 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Charlton didn't complain and Harris didn't even get spoken to, let alone booked/sent-off.

Different times. 

21 hours ago, reynard said:

But we finished last season in better form than Arsenal and United, I think at one point our form under Rodgers was only behind Liverpool and Man City. 

United and Arsenal aren't really any stronger, Chelsea are weaker Spurs have strengthened but could still lose a few key players. The optimism isn't unfounded and the biggest barrier to breaking the top 6 is psychological the more people talk up us and Wolves and talk down United and Arsenal the better.

Obviously a bad start and we could all look very foolish, but we aren't going to get into the top 6 if we don't believe we can.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Captain... said:

But we finished last season in better form than Arsenal and United, I think at one point our form under Rodgers was only behind Liverpool and Man City. 

United and Arsenal aren't really any stronger, Chelsea are weaker Spurs have strengthened but could still lose a few key players. The optimism isn't unfounded and the biggest barrier to breaking the top 6 is psychological the more people talk up us and Wolves and talk down United and Arsenal the better.

Obviously a bad start and we could all look very foolish, but we aren't going to get into the top 6 if we don't believe we can.

And our quote-unquote "top 6 record" last year had us picking up:

• 3 points against Man City
  • 3 points against Arsenal
  • 4 points against Chelsea
  • 1 point against Liverpool

Which all things considered is a more than decent haul in head-to-head terms - and in reality, as much as I hate to say it, Spurs were the only Top 6 side to really pull our pants down in both games last season. We're perfectly capable of giving any team in this league a game and coming out on top.

If we can get ourselves actually performing at home against lower-half opposition - our real Achilles Heel which by my count cost us 15 points - we can challenge. When you see we threw the game against Cardiff, Newcastle, Southampton and Crystal Palace at a time when none of them could even buy a win, you realise that it's there that the problem lies.

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

Spurs were the only Top 6 side to really pull our pants down in both games last season.

The Spurs away game we were by far the better side - if I remember right that match was the highest 'differential' between actual goal difference and expected goal difference across the entire PL season, i.e. we were just insanely unlucky not to come away with anything.

Similarly Man Utd did the double over us last season, but neither game was really a cut-and-dried affair. Particularly the opening game of the season - they got an early penalty and a lucky deflection, but we were well on top for large periods of the match.

Edited by Xen
  • Like 2