Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

1 hour ago, Xen said:

The Spurs away game we were by far the better side - if I remember right that match was the highest 'differential' between actual goal difference and expected goal difference across the entire PL season, i.e. we were just insanely unlucky not to come away with anything.

Similarly Man Utd did the double over us last season, but neither game was really a cut-and-dried affair. Particularly the opening game of the season - they got an early penalty and a lucky deflection, but we were well on top for large periods of the match.

The Spurs away game was cruel. Cruel on Puel! 

It summed his tenure up. Nearly getting everything right .... but it all being hopelessly wrong at the same time (Vardy on the bench, FFS)

Vardy's goal , after he was eventually brought on, was a thing of absolute beauty. Possibly the best team goal I've ever seen a Leicester side score

Some things are not meant to be.

19 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Agree, baring Perez we’re the same team that ended last season with a little depth added, this is why I think it’s rumoured we’re still looking to add quality. I think arsenal, chelsea and particularly man u could have tough seasons on their hands to claim that fourth spot and maybe they could face a serious challenge for sixth however if we are to become a serious contender to challenging for a top six finish we need to see similar levels of spending over the next few seasons to build the quality of the squad and the quality of its depth. 

I think people are conveniently forgetting that based on form aince Rodgers took over we were 5th. Palace above us, who wont be over a whole season. And we agree we have improved the team with Perez.

How much better do we need to he for you guys  thats 5th/4th on the form of the closest we can get to our current team.

Optimism is far more fun. Give it a try

Edited by gw_leics772
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

But we finished last season in better form than Arsenal and United, I think at one point our form under Rodgers was only behind Liverpool and Man City. 

United and Arsenal aren't really any stronger, Chelsea are weaker Spurs have strengthened but could still lose a few key players. The optimism isn't unfounded and the biggest barrier to breaking the top 6 is psychological the more people talk up us and Wolves and talk down United and Arsenal the better.

Obviously a bad start and we could all look very foolish, but we aren't going to get into the top 6 if we don't believe we can.

I don't disagree but the dynamics of pressure are different this time around. This season we are expected to do well. This a change for our players and how they react to this will be key. I'm excited about our prospects but I'm realistic too and cracking the top 6 will be difficult.

20 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

I think people are conveniently dorgetting that based on form aince Rodgers took over we were 5th. Palace above us, who wont be over a whole season. And we agree we have improved the team with Perez.

How much better do we need to he for you guys  thats 5th/4th on the form of the closest we can get to our current team.

Optimism is far more fun. Give it a try

Hey, optimism is my middle name.

I think you’ve misunderstood me, I’m one of the most optimistic fans out there, I’ve predicted us to win every game for the last 40 years or so lol I fully believe we’ll receive the backing and support to achieve this. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

But we finished last season in better form than Arsenal and United, I think at one point our form under Rodgers was only behind Liverpool and Man City. 

United and Arsenal aren't really any stronger, Chelsea are weaker Spurs have strengthened but could still lose a few key players. The optimism isn't unfounded and the biggest barrier to breaking the top 6 is psychological the more people talk up us and Wolves and talk down United and Arsenal the better.

Obviously a bad start and we could all look very foolish, but we aren't going to get into the top 6 if we don't believe we can.

I have only recently posted for optimism and agree with most of what youve said....

However...

"but we aren't going to get into the top 6 if we don't believe we can."

Bullshit. We all "knew" we were never going to win the premier league, and look how much impact that had.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

I have only recently posted for optimism and agree with most of what youve said....

However...

"but we aren't going to get into the top 6 if we don't believe we can."

Bullshit. We all "knew" we were never going to win the premier league, and look how much impact that had.

That was a one off, I just mean if we start fearing these games against United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs we'll never be their equals. A one off season could happen again, but the myth of the top 6, which has only really happened since we won the league, is what keeps the status quo as much as buying power and fanbase. The more the papers speculate about the decline of the top 6 the better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

899767F1-A3BF-470F-A658-DBA89E6F9EE8.thumb.jpeg.bd243c3bed9bb5623baa313c099a6903.jpeg

1. He’s wearing a hoody in July. 

2. There’s a bloody great turkey on the trolley. 

3. There’s ****ing tinsel in background. 

4. It literally says CHRISTMAS SHOPPING underneath the words you wrote.

I’ll have you know he was actually doing his Christmas chopping not shopping 

• Like 1

On 23/07/2019 at 19:07, Captain... said:

That was a one off, I just mean if we start fearing these games against United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs we'll never be their equals. A one off season could happen again, but the myth of the top 6, which has only really happened since we won the league, is what keeps the status quo as much as buying power and fanbase. The more the papers speculate about the decline of the top 6 the better.

To some extent I think it’s the other way round. We need to feel like we’re crashing their party, sticking it to the big guns to bring the best out of our big game players. If we go into games with a ‘we need/expect to win this’ attitude, that’s when the pressure becomes difficult to manage (see Man City/Chelsea followed by Cardiff last year). 

Also, the less seriously the ‘Top 6’ take us, the better. 

The Wolves game is going to tell us so much about our mental state, and that is going to determine our season. Not so much the result, but given that it’s a game against one of the teams like us who feels ‘entitled’ to 7th place, if we play with freedom then, win or lose, we’re in for a good year. If we clam up and make mistakes, we’re in for another shocker...

• Like 2

Former Arsenal striker Jeremie Aliadiere is surprised that Leicester City have outspent his former club.

The French forward who played for the Gunners between 1999 and 2007 is unhappy with his old club's lack of spending in the summer window.

And in a recent interview with 888Sports, he has drawn reference to 'smaller club' Leicester, who have spent more than £75 million in this window.

“I’m an Arsenal fan,” he said. “It’s frustrating when you see a club like Leicester, who with all respect to them are a smaller club, spending £75million so far this summer yet Arsenal can’t seemingly afford to spend the money that Leicester can.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Dorkingfox said:

Former Arsenal striker Jeremie Aliadiere is surprised that Leicester City have outspent his former club.

The French forward who played for the Gunners between 1999 and 2007 is unhappy with his old club's lack of spending in the summer window.

And in a recent interview with 888Sports, he has drawn reference to 'smaller club' Leicester, who have spent more than £75 million in this window.

“I’m an Arsenal fan,” he said. “It’s frustrating when you see a club like Leicester, who with all respect to them are a smaller club, spending £75million so far this summer yet Arsenal can’t seemingly afford to spend the money that Leicester can.

Didnt say small though said smaller which is fair. 

5 minutes ago, Dorkingfox said:

Was he there that long? I remember the typical Arsenal hype and then going to Middlesbrough. 

But then again, he says he's an Arsenal fan and yet he hasn't seemed to follow the club in the time he's been away. 

Arsenal are tight. Have been since the stuff about needing to pay for the stadium a decade ago and isn't likely to change under Kroenke.

Also the fact is that there's probably more money for getting relegated from the Premier League now than there was for winning it then. 

3 hours ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

To some extent I think it’s the other way round. We need to feel like we’re crashing their party, sticking it to the big guns to bring the best out of our big game players. If we go into games with a ‘we need/expect to win this’ attitude, that’s when the pressure becomes difficult to manage (see Man City/Chelsea followed by Cardiff last year). 

Also, the less seriously the ‘Top 6’ take us, the better. 

The Wolves game is going to tell us so much about our mental state, and that is going to determine our season. Not so much the result, but given that it’s a game against one of the teams like us who feels ‘entitled’ to 7th place, if we play with freedom then, win or lose, we’re in for a good year. If we clam up and make mistakes, we’re in for another shocker...

All fair points, and I'm no expert in football psychology, but long term we don't want to be gate-crashing the party we want to be hosting it. All this speculation can go both ways it can put us under pressure but it is also putting Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea under pressure. I think the big indicator will be how we approach games against those 3. We can play with freedom, take them on and maybe we lose, or we give them the same respect we do Man City and Liverpool drop in another CDM and try not to lose. The second approach might yield more points but the first sets the tone that we are hunting down the big 4.

56 minutes ago, Dorkingfox said:

I think they are pretty fair comments, I'd be thinking exactly the same thing if I was an Arsenal fan.

Saying that though, Villa might end up outspending us and I dont really care.

Villa are outspending us from a significantly weaker starting position. They're no real concern at all to me unless they've genuinely signed a load of gems.

Our achilles heel last year was not the games against the top six, but against the bottom half sides at home. Wolves were even more extreme for this than we were.

The biggest barrier to us making the top six is beating teams like Southampton, Cardiff, Palace, Newcastle at home - games that the likes of Arsenal and Tottenham will very rarely drop points in. We didn't beat a single one of those at home last year.

• Thanks 1

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7280493/Top-carrying-Vichais-legacy-Leicester-fans-dreaming-glory.html

The owner's helicopter death plunged Leicester into mourning... now his son Top has thrown himself into carrying on Vichai's legacy - and has Foxes fans dreaming of another glorious season.

The sight of Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha enjoying conversation with Brendan Rodgers before Leicester's friendly at Cambridge on Tuesday night served only to enhance the sense this season could once again lead somewhere special for the club.

An owner exchanging pre-season pleasantries with his manager is hardly reason to get enthusiastic in usual circumstances, but context is crucial here.

As we know Aiyawatt, known as Top, lost his father in harrowing circumstances last October. 

...and more here - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7280493/Top-carrying-Vichais-legacy-Leicester-fans-dreaming-glory.html

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LC/FC said:

And the fact that he uses the word "Incels" it's probably not a parody, it's projecting lol

I reckon you've nailed this clown.

Either way, I wish he'd be systematically and officially forgotten. Like tiananmen square. It's an embarrassment he's even talked about (yes, I'm aware I'm talking about him -  that's my first and last post on the twat)

• Like 1