Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Huddersfield H post match thread 3-1

Huddersfield are proper shite aren't they. Incredibly defensive, barely had the ball until we eased off and when they did have it they passed it to no-one or lost it.

Better second half but we were much the better side throughout, just weren't able to create much that was clear cut in the first half.

Just now, Larry_LCFC said:

Pathetic start. We were awful. Much better second half helped by Huddersfield playing a stupidly high line.

Just goes to show why Vardy shouldn't play alone. I really do like Okazaki aswell, think he offers something very different to the team.

We have GOT to work on being more direct in our attacking. This sideways football when there are clear passes going forward needs to be stopped.

Notice that both Maddison and Iheanacho look for that forward pass first and foremost, the opening. That made all the difference.

If we could play like we did in the 2nd half for 90 mins we’d be a very good side. 

I think the key to finding this consistency is:

1) Playing Vardy and Iheanacho together - - Playing alongside another striker brings the best out of Vardy. Maddison likes to drift and drop deep, which can leave Vardy isolated.

2) Fitting our 3 best attackers in the same starting 11 (Vardy, Iheanacho and Maddison)  - Puel found a way to solve this issue today, but is it a long term solution? 

3) Pereira is our best winger but where does he play - Amartey had a solid game at RB today and was our best defender so he should probably keep his place. If we’re sticking to 4-2-3-1 then i’d have Pereira at RW over Ghezzal. 

4) CB partnership - We need to stick to one pairing. Now Evans has played well i’d stick with him alongside Harry.

Everything points to 3 at the back but Puel will always stick to 4-2-3-1. So I think the above will give us the best results playing 4-2-3-1.  

Edited by Shane
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, trabuch said:

We / I needed that. Maddison looks superb. Brilliant 1st touch and one of the better free kicks I have seen from Leicester. Combine that with a great counter attack for our opener and a bit of vintage Vardy - and I am a happy man (regardless of the opposition)

Yes I agree however the team we played are effectively a Championship team in all but name; and Maddison showed he can do great stuff against such teams. Let's see what he and we can do against the top 6/7 teams when we are under the pump; I am hoping he will still be able to make the difference.  

Pretty comfortable in the end, made it harder for ourselves in the first half hour than it should have been, as against Wolves Evans was all over the shop until half time (can't blame Amartey for the obvious shortcomings of this donkey like people did with Ricardo, he was superb given how often he was left 2v1).

15 minutes ago, Marutimon said:

Maddison, Iheanacho superb

Ndidi, Vardy, Chilwell, Maguire good

Surprisingly strong shift by Amartey - defensively much better than Ricardo and his recovery rate was immense.

Gray the best I've seen him play, but still no end product.

This may not be a popular opinion but Mendy was terrible IMHO. He can't read the game, lost several balls in key areas, barely ever wins the ball. poor passer. Don't see the point.

You sure you weren't confusing him with Ndidi re his passing? 

Positives

Iheanacho was brilliant, great to see him and Vards leading the line. I think we look much more threatening with the trio of Maddison, Vardy and Nacho in the team.

Amartey did really well, pleased for him after he started the season so poorly.

Madders. He was my man of the match. He's brilliant.

The team having the confidence to recover from a wretched start

Puel having the guts to make a change at halftime

Albrighton looked great when he came on, gives us a lot of energy

Negatives

Defence was still REALLY ropey today. Town could have scored two more easy ones, including leaving a player alone in the box with a free header. Macguire and Evans look rusty. A better team would have converted at least one of those chances.

Would have liked to have seen more intensity when we went 3-1. Go for 4 or 5. You never know how important goal differences will be at the end of the season.

Ghezzal was horrific and deserved to be hooked when he was

Please with the points. Huddersfield have to be nailed on to go down (shame, as an Australian I am sad for Mooy, but his team is woeful, so...) but we did the job nonetheless. If we can iron out of some the defensive kinks there is a team here

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pete from the USA said:

Two goals on couterattacks and one on a set piece. So much for possession football. 

Its harder to score when there are 11 men behind the ball.

Puel is trying to make us better in possession because as an improving team with healthy investment we need more options in our play

"Possession football" is a term you've made up

Its a good thing we can still effectively counter and make use of our brilliant striker (also both strikers scored and assisted each other, which is great). Many on here complain that Puel is killing that side of us. Which apart from being bollocks has been happily disproved today

Also,  its very nice we have someone who can bang in free kicks like that

"Everybody in the 313, put your mutha ****in hands up and follow me" - Claude Puel, 2018

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Disappointed we won...cos’ that’s what people wanna hear ain’t it...:rolleyes: 

(For the record if the :blink: reactions to this post are due to the above comment, I was being sarcastic due to comments thoughout the week...Does that shit really need explaining?! If the reactions aren’t to that comment answers on a postcard please. @KingsX @baldeagle)

Seriously though, we won, great, but for 70% (roughly, guessing) I was bored to tears, arm propping head up. Sideways, sideways.

For the rest of the game it was actually quite good, forward, direct passes, counter attacking (and I accept you have to be patient in the build up and wait for opportunities to counter attack), attacking period.

On the counter attacking point, I don’t think I’m the only one who noticed him in one of the games (can’t remember which one) towards last season when we seemed to revert to the “old” style and we looked good, really good and Puel looked so disinterested, looking at the ground, kicking air, arms on hips, proper depressed, I actually claimed at the time (so did others) he looked like he knew his future and it was a dead man walking. It was the same demeanour today regards the first goal.

Edited by Matt
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tanya said:

Positives

Iheanacho was brilliant, great to see him and Vards leading the line. I think we look much more threatening with the trio of Maddison, Vardy and Nacho in the team.

Amartey did really well, pleased for him after he started the season so poorly.

Madders. He was my man of the match. He's brilliant.

The team having the confidence to recover from a wretched start

Puel having the guts to make a change at halftime

Albrighton looked great when he came on, gives us a lot of energy

Negatives

Defence was still REALLY ropey today. Town could have scored two more easy ones, including leaving a player alone in the box with a free header. Macguire and Evans look rusty. A better team would have converted at least one of those chances.

Would have liked to have seen more intensity when we went 3-1. Go for 4 or 5. You never know how important goal differences will be at the end of the season.

Ghezzal was horrific and deserved to be hooked when he was

Please with the points. Huddersfield have to be nailed on to go down (shame, as an Australian I am sad for Mooy, but his team is woeful, so...) but we did the job nonetheless. If we can iron out of some the defensive kinks there is a team here

I was thinking this. Great player to bring on towards the end of the game, ditto Okazaki. 

Slow start. Poor defending for their goal. Slowly grew into the game, and were deserved winners after a solid second half performance. Great performances from Chilwell, Vardy and Iheanacho in particular. Really wish Wilf was a better footballer. So sloppy in possession at times and gave the ball away a lot. 

The key to us winning today was the possession and the pressure that forced them into submission. 

Loved Vardy’s goal, great ball from Kel and a very smart finish. 

All in all a good win, what most would’ve expected.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Shane said:

3) Pereira is our best winger but where does he play - Amartey had a solid game at RB today and was our best defender so he should probably keep his place. If we’re sticking to 4-2-3-1 then i’d have Pereira at RW over Ghezzal. 

Good point. Pereira is so ropey as a defender but he's been quite good further up the pitch. He's ahead of Ghezzal at the moment, who looks slow and has no real end product. At least Pereira is fast and frees up space for others.

Posting this as I leave the ground...

Overall that was a decent performance, even if it was against a side that will inevitably be relegated. We were by far the better team and to be honest all of Huddersfield’s attempts seemed to come from Leicester mistakes rather than getting undone. We largely controlled the game and outclassed the opposition. 

I think you can use this game as a good barometer to compare us to last season. Many times at home we would start slow, concede a clanger and only then start playing. We’d get it back to 1-1 but couldn’t win. Today whilst the slow start and poor defending reared their ugly head again we got back into it faster and ended up winning comfortably. That is progress of some kind even if it’s not as much as I’d like. 

Maddison was man of the match for me but I also want to call out Mendy as an unsung hero who continues to impress me. 

I’m not sure what to make of the team and lineup. Nacho scored and assisted (?) but having Maddison on the wing and drifting isn’t as good as playing him centrally where the opposition just couldn’t contain him leading to foul after foul. Ghezzal was average and we looked better when Gray came on. That said all of Albrighton / Gray / Ghezzal are much of a muchness to me as none of them really have the quality to give us an additional source of goals. Amartey over Ricardo is also debatable as though Amartey did a job he looks like a bomb scare whenever he’s near the ball. 

Overall though a good result, decent performance and I feel like we are progressing. The young players are developing nicely though to get to the next level we need to defend better and play it faster. I feel like we really miss Mahrez even if Madders has brought his scoring boots with him from Norwich. 

Up the foxes!

• Like 1

I saw a post on here but then lost it and couldn’t be arsed to scroll back. To the guy who doesn’t see the point in Mendy, did you see Ndidi today. I love Wilf and believe he will become great but for all the good he brings, once again his passing was atrocious. I think I honestly could pass well more consistently than him. I really hope this improves as I want him to become immense and believe if he sorts this out he will do.

basically my point is that I think Mendy is looking great at the moment.

• Like 3

My thoughts after this game

1. Shaky defending and lack of composure in defence, every opposition counter looks like all our defensive players are about to crap their pants

2. Nacho & Vardy can work and should be played together more often. Hope we will see them again upfront before Christmas!

3. we need to stop being nice to opposition and cease this 'conceding first' crap

4. at times first half they dominated us, yet at times our puelball esp. 2nd half looked inspired

5. Maddison is the GOAT among Foxes. So lucky we have him. Imo Mahrez comparisons aren't valid here, The Sweet Prince used to slumber his way through every second game last couple seasons remember? I'm so glad Madders doesnt have this 'healthy' habit

6. I'm still not convinced about Ndidi & Mendy pairing, we lack creativity with both of them on the pitch while defensively I don't see that much of improvement

7. More Okazaki next time please. A smile goes a long way Claude

8. For me the jury is still out on Puel. First 25 mins of the game or so we played like strong relegation candidates, and that's against Huddersfield who are among the few worst PL teams and proper relegation candidates (I think only Cardiff are worse than this lot).

9. That said, great goals and 3 points much welcomed. We're in top half of the table so things arent so bad

10.  RACHEL IN !!!!

• Like 3

Amartey is coming on. Not in leaps and bounds but he is getting there. Might be a confidence thing. Some of his passing is top drawer... but someone really ought teach him how to throw the ball in. I'd persevere with him at right back.

Evans - I think I prefer Evans over Wes. Difficult to be objective given it was such a different game to Bournemouth but I think Evans is a calmer, more stable player. He's not likely to go rampaging. He does the simple things and doesn't over do it.

Iheanacho is an enigma to me. I really wish I knew what made him tick because he was excellent today yet other times it's like he doesn't give a toss. Despite what I've previously said, I think he AND Vardy might well be the way to go.