Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Should Claude Puel be sacked or backed? Poll

Should Claude Puel be sacked?  

772 members have voted

1. 1. Should Claude Puel be sacked or backed?

• Sack.
    • Keep him and back him in the transfer window.

On 16/12/2018 at 21:04, inckley fox said:

I'm not sure it's as simple as the long ball over the top not working any more.

A lot of the top six sides are willing to use the long pass, just as we did, and do so more often and effectively than we do of late. Many of them press high and attempt to pick up possession in the opposition half (like we used to), as much as they try to build from the back. One of my biggest gripes with Puel is the absence of the high tempo, high press, and of the unwillingness to hit people with pace on the counter (defending corners with all 11 men being a prime example).

So over the past year you can put down the absence of the 'long ball dropped over the top' to the manager's preferred style of play. For the 12-18 months before that, you could put it down to sides sitting deeper against us to avoid being hit on the counter - but you could also put it down to dreadful form, poor signings, the departure of players, age and tactical tweaks on the part of Ranieri. In other words, we tried to play the same way at times, and if we'd been as good as we were back in 2015, it may well have come off, but we weren't.

So what made our game unsustainable? That's the real question. Was it that, abruptly, everyone figured out how to deal with a high press, and counters, and high possession stats became important all over again? Or was it that we lost one of the world's best midfielders, other players got old, other players wanted out, recruitment was dreadful, the manager lost his grip and the next manager wasn't really a manager? There's not much evidence for the former. Loads of better sides than us readily hit the same direct passes on the counter that we used to, make those same runs off the shoulder of the defender, press opposition defences high, even if they tend to have better possession stats than we did. Is there any evidence that Puel's style of building possession from the back, creating space between lines by managing the ball, is a better recipe for success in the PL than the slightly more direct, physical and quick-tempo approach we used to follow? I'm sure there are a good few successful Premier League managers who'd argue with that.

Kante leaving was what made the title winning tactic unsustainable. Since then we have performed at the mid table PL level that our squad is about at the level of. Realistically, unless another recruitment miracle happens the best the club will achieve is 7th place, and we are currently 3 points off this. The nature of mid table means we will bounce between 7th and 13th depending on results, we'll win some, draw some, and lose some. Generally speaking in Football, someone has to lose each match.

The main problem with Puel is that his tactics rely on having players that are better than the opposition. It's why he keeps talking about quality and intensity, it's this that the top players have. While this may have been fine when managing in France, the PL is that much more competitive and unless you are one of the Elite clubs, you simply can't rely on having the best players to implement the perfect style. You have to be pragmatic and counter the opposition, and it seems Puel has no intention of doing this with his tactics.

On 15/12/2018 at 18:27, FilbertFrog said:

Just changed my vote 

Maddison was having a very poor game. Ghezzal contributed far more in the second half and was very unlucky not to get the equalizer.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

I suppose I am in the minority then. I think Puel's building something here at Leicester, and I'd like to see what it will look like around this time next season. I don't think there's any pressure to make changes right now, because we're in no danger of relegation. At some point you have to stop switching managers every season, and stick with one. 

I fear that our desire for immediate results will erode the supporter's belief in what Puel is building. Like every other premier league club, we'll fire him and hire a more pragmatic manager who has bounced around in the premier league. Our results will pick up for a month or two, and then the same problems that plagued Puel will plague them as well. We will realize all too late that the issues during Puel's tenure have more to do with Leicester's squad, and less to do with Puel's management.

There is no pressure, other than a manufactured crisis by some overly vocal fans on here and Facebook. 

The Championship is littered with teams that thought they should “push on” by continually changing managers.

2 hours ago, jim5000 said:

Kante leaving was what made the title winning tactic unsustainable. 

It wasn’t unsustainable at all, that was Claudio’s mistake. We are still making the same mistake now.

It was always going to be a blow losing Kante but you don’t throw the baby out with the bath water. People conveniently forget how we destroyed Man City and Liverpool the following season without Kante.

If we were playing that way now we’d be running rings round the dog muck sides in this division and we’d be competing with Everton and Man Utd. Anyone who thinks we wouldn’t be a better team playing with a high tempo high pressing style is a fool. It’s the superior way of playing in the modern game, especially in this country.

Puel is failing the same way Mourinho is. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

Please could someone clarify something, when "Puel In" fans say "I can see what he's trying to do"... what is it you're seeing?

All I'm seeing is boring blunt football with the odd youth player chucked in to the mix.

You will see his majic in the next 45 minutes

10 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

Please could someone clarify something, when "Puel In" fans say "I can see what he's trying to do"... what is it you're seeing?

All I'm seeing is boring blunt football with the odd youth player chucked in to the mix.

I’m just in the puel out, but I like what he’s trying, possession based football, played with the intensity he claims he asks the players for, could be good to watch.

Where he’s lost me, he picks the same shit that cannot play like that, and hasn’t recruited to suit, and the players that could can’t get in, and he’s defensive as ****, with 2/3 defensive centre mids, he has to add creativity for it to work, out now for me

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

I’m just in the puel out, but I like what he’s trying, possession based football, played with the intensity he claims he asks the players for, could be good to watch.

Where he’s lost me, he picks the same shit that cannot play like that, and hasn’t recruited to suit, and the players that could can’t get in, and he’s defensive as ****, with 2/3 defensive centre mids, he has to add creativity for it to work, out now for me

I'd agree, but I think most of our new signings can play how he wants and he's sorted some of our defensive issues.

I think he just didn't have the money to make the signings to strength the CM and wide attacking positions. I expect that to be the priority in the summer.

I suspect he's been given the task of reducing the wage bill as well.

I personally think our squad was in shit state following the two poor summer windows under both CR and CS

Edited by coolhandfox

5 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

I don't see the intensity, really not taken to him. Gave him an opportunity last season and was happy to start afresh this season with him but I don't see us moving forward or transcending to a new style of football. Instead he's just made us terrible to watch.