Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jamesmilner

IT'S ON

1 minute ago, Dames said:

The position we are in - we might not have had the summer.

This is really astute by the club and i'm really impressed by how we've gone about this. The balls the club have shown to take a manager from a club who is on course for a 10th straight league title and 2 other domestic cups will breed confidence around the place. Confidence that is sorely needed. Rodgers coming in now also has the benefit of the new manager bounce to get us to safety, gives him the remainder of the season to get to know his squad and to then be prepared for a shorter transfer window in the summer to get it right. It removes any uncertainty around a future appointment and any awkwardness if an interim manager does well and the players want him to have the job full time.

Maybe although at 8 points clear and 11 left to play I don't see it - we realistically only need 3/4 more points. I take your point about an interim, but a permanent manager should be a clear improvement, and I don't see how David Brent is.

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

He's had one flop at Reading, they got him from Watford for good reason, they'd really starting to improve and were looking good after a slow start. Yes his final season at Anfield was a tad sketchy, but you can't avoid the point that he lost an amazing Striker, Gerrard was coming to the end of his career and they came off the back of a massive bitter disappointment. Everything else has been a success. He's quite clearly a decent manager and I doubt frankly we could possibly get anyone better.

Every season except the 2nd place one was sketchy at Liverpool. He finished 2nd, 6th, 7th and left in 10th. People's memories are skewed by that one season where Suarez was in mental form, in reality for the most part he had them underachieving.

2 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

I honestly believe he can take us to the next level and build on what Puel has put in place in terms of ability to hold the ball when needed, but Rodgers can tweak our counter attack to make us more clinical.

This is a perfect fit, Rodgers could probably get. Bigger job than us after his record with going close at Liverpool with a bang average squad and his success in Scotland. 

The fact he's found this so tempting that he's willing to turn down a treble treble to take it speaks volumes. He wants to be here. Bring on the weekend!!!

It shows that we are a bigger prospect than some in the media and opposition fans are willing to admit.

Maybe our 'entitlement' has some merit after all...

From memory at the good times at Liverpool, he played a very fluid front 3 of sturridge sterling and suarez interchanging, but i did NOT remember them as a high press team.

From memory they seemed to be more of a counter press team that used a halfway press to create space in behind for a run. 

That may play into vardy's hands (or i have a poor memory)

However

His tactical set up would probably be similar to puels in shape but without quality options in central midfield offensively or in the wide right area.

I expect a bounce phase to the end of the season (in which people will OVER judge his success) but then he will need the summer to bring new players in.

His success will probably be based on

1) getting the message over better than puel

2) commanding more respect in what is a difficult dressing room

3) inspiring more intensity into training and new methods.

Im not overboard about the appointment but will give plenty of time to Rodgers

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Played that with Celtic too when he could but often lacked the CB's so couldn't do as much as he liked.

id actually love to see us line up with 3 at the back- we certainly have the CBs to do it and we DEFINITELY have the wing backs for it too...  but it would pose a couple of problems as to what to do with maddison and Barnes, i’d imagine maddison would play as an advanced CM... but would he pick barnes to be  the other attacker? we shall see!

• Like 1

Just now, Dames said:

It shows that we are a bigger prospect than some in the media and opposition fans are willing to admit.

The owners don't want to f**k about, it's clear as daylight we are underachieving, after our cup exits, getting 7th is a priority, so if we can get that this season with Brendan, It's certainly justified to sack Puel. If not that's fine, as he will have time to gauge the team and see who should be part of it moving forward.

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Well I hope those who disliked Puel's style of play are ready to accept Rodgers because by all accounts it's pretty much the same but without having a team that is totally superior to the opposition.

we can but wait and see.

This is exactly what a Celtic supporting mate at work said. Are we jumping from the frying pan into the fire? Time will tell.

I think we would be better to get an interim manager in and then have a much wider choice at the end of the season

3 minutes ago, Dames said:

It would seem so in this case. 

Brendan Rodgers is literally walking away from the first ever "treble of trebles" in history. In order to take charge here. 

I think he's been told he will have unequivacle backing of the board and money to spend, something I would trust with BR. 

I'm really excited by this prospect personally.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, murphy said:

I thought that people would be crying after finally getting rid of Claude and then replacing him with Claude II?

Unless you just don't understand that Rodgers is basically more of the same?

This won't end well.

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

That’s the spirit :P

You misunderstand me Ben old chap.

I am talking about the Puel out lot that were so dismayed by our tippy tappy performances.  They will soon find themselves in the same boat with Rodgers and we'll have all this shit all over again.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

11 minutes ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

Now is the best time, purely to watch Celtic fans cry. With a bit of luck Rangers will over take them in the league too, just to compile their misery further.

Karmas a bitch. You take MON and we will wait nearly 20 years until you are about to achieve something special and pull it away from you lol

I’d say whoever they put in charge they’ll still win the treble! 

Edited by lcfceaves

4 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Maybe although at 8 points clear and 11 left to play I don't see it - we realistically only need 3/4 more points. I take your point about an interim, but a permanent manager should be a clear improvement, and I don't see how David Brent is.

Every season except the 2nd place one was sketchy at Liverpool. He finished 2nd, 6th, 7th and left in 10th. People's memories are skewed by that one season where Suarez was in mental form, in reality for the most part he had them underachieving.

We all thought we was turning a corner after the Spurs game then Palace came and pretty much spanked us without actually attacking us. Confidence is rock bottom after a horrible run of form and the way we were playing it was difficult to see where the next 3 pts was coming from.

As for the Liverpool comment people tend to forget the ownership and upper management were getting a lot of things wrong at Liverpool before Rodgers was appointed, he also had to deal with Comolli making a lot of poor signings the season before and having to clear it out. It was a big job and bigger than many would like to admit and Rodgers was in a sense the Puel of Liverpool - He got a lot of things right and helped set them up which Klopp has taken and evolved (Still not won anything though).

• Like 1

Simon Stone

BBC Sport

Depending on how talks progress, it is not out of the question Brendan Rodgers could be at the King Power for Leicester's game against Brighton later today.

For guidance, the club say a Wednesday news conference is unlikely, with Thursday looking a more probably day for Rodgers to be unveiled.

Article Reactions
  •  

People may think that we're getting a Puel clone, but I disagree. Brendan, from what I've read, is far better at man-management and adapting to individual player strengths when tactics alone won't cut it. One of Claude's biggest downfalls was that he seemingly refused to budge on his philosophy and it cost him his job in the end, unfortunately.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dames said:

We all thought we was turning a corner after the Spurs game then Palace came and pretty much spanked us without actually attacking us. Confidence is rock bottom after a horrible run of form and the way we were playing it was difficult to see where the next 3 pts was coming from.

As for the Liverpool comment people tend to forget the ownership and upper management were getting a lot of things wrong at Liverpool before Rodgers was appointed, he also had to deal with Comolli making a lot of poor signings the season before and having to clear it out. It was a big job and bigger than many would like to admit and Rodgers was in a sense the Puel of Liverpool - He got a lot of things right and helped set them up which Klopp has taken and evolved (Still not won anything though).

Fulham at home, Huddersfield away, easy to see us getting at least 3 points.

I'd completely disagree with that, if you compare him to any recent manager it's Shakespeare in that both were promoted well beyond their level and left a mess to be sorted by their replacement

41 minutes ago, Cujek said:

Can we not just, as a fan base, get behind the ****ing guy?

If he is shit then we turn on him, no worries

But give the guy a damn chance FFS forget past records, forget Mickey mouse league's, forget everything.

If he is to be our manager get behind him, stop ****ing moaning until he gives us something to moan about

/rant off

Pretty sure majority are backing this appointment as opposed to Puel who was facing a losing battle from the start. 

Not really seen much negativity about Rodgers yet anyway. 

12 minutes ago, WestLothianFox said:

This is exactly what a Celtic supporting mate at work said. Are we jumping from the frying pan into the fire? Time will tell.

I think we would be better to get an interim manager in and then have a much wider choice at the end of the season

He’s actually changed his formation a lot at Celtic but has had to contend with many defensive set ups coming up against him... he has on occasion played the Puel-esque 4-2-3-1 but prefers formations that have two strikers. has also played 4-3-3.

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Pretty sure majority are backing this appointment as opposed to Puel who was facing a losing battle from the start. 

Not really seen much negativity about Rodgers yet anyway. 

Puel came in with a reputation for negative football. Rodgers won't so that will get him off to a better start.

• Like 1

Tactically we might find Rodgers to be similar to Puel but he is a different character altogether.  

I’m pleased we’re looking to appoint a manager who wants to develop youth AND have the strength of character to take the club forwards.  I think it’ll be needed to keep senior players onside  whilst performing the final removal of deadwood we so desperately need.

If we do appoint him in the next few days, we’ll likely have an upturn of results to keep us up, then maybe some experimentation to see what the squad can do before a summer of change 

Edited by car1os

2 minutes ago, MPH said:

He’s actually changed his formation a lot at Celtic but has had to contend with many defensive set ups coming up against him... he has on occasion played the Puel-esque 4-2-3-1 but prefers formations that have two strikers. has also played 4-3-3.

Only problem is that we dont have 2 premiere quality strikers. 

3 minutes ago, Corky said:

Puel came in with a reputation for negative football. Rodgers won't so that will get him off to a better start.

Only among people too myopic to see what it was like past the final days at Southampton after ownership sold off the team.  There's was no reputation for negative football when Puel was coaching on the continent.

I'm fully behind Rodgers, although I'd have rather waited till the sumner to have a wider array of possible choices.  But it's a bitter irony seeing scads of posters who did nothing but rip Puel at every turn and celebrate when we lost screaming "Can't we just all get behind the manager!?"

• Like 2

Just now, WestLothianFox said:

Only problem is that we dont have 2 premiere quality strikers. 

I’m sure he’ll get the best out of Nacho feel nachos confidence is far too low and a new manager syndrome will see many of our players step up !!

Wondering now Puel has gone whether we still have a chance at keeping Tielemans in the summer, talking of summer just what size Rodgers will ask for a summer transfer budget ?