Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jamesmilner

IT'S ON

58 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

Apart from Benko, who would we take?

No one I can think of. I was at Celtic 2 weeks ago to watch Valencia, easy win for them, mostly, mediocre players in a poor league. He could be a good fit at Leicester,  my only concern at the moment is his loyalty,   we need stability for a few seasons at Leicester..

Just now, Jacafox said:

No one I can think of. I was at Celtic 2 weeks ago to watch Valencia, easy win for them, mostly, mediocre players in a poor league. He could be a good fit at Leicester,  my only concern at the moment is his loyalty,   we need stability for a few seasons at Leicester..

The only one I could see being considered is Forrest

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Nonsense. I'll give him a chance, I'll hope to be proved wrong (and just endure having to avoid all press conferences and post match interviews), but frankly this is like being offered Tuberculosis. I'd take it if it was a straight choice between that or Ebola (Alan Pardew), but I'd rather not have either, and I've been clear for months that I don't rate him, it's not about saving face now.

I didn't mention names specifically but if the shoe fits...

Puel is gone - accept the fact, it really didn't work out for him here. He's done some good but he also didn't get a lot of things right and by all accounts coming out his failure to properly integrate himself with his staff and a really poor run of form has lost him his job. It wasn't ever going to change and he was given more than plenty of chance to turn it around.

Rodgers is a reasonable choice - he's not been a complete failure in any job since Swansea who he did reasonably well with, Liverpool he had 2 good seasons before shitting the bed in his last season and he's been good for Celtic (its easy but its helped build his confidence). Some of his press conferences are a bit ropey but from all accounts from some really big name players his man management skills are second to none and that is what this club needs right now, someone with a similar philosophy to Puel to come in and evolve what we have but also get the players fired back up and confident again.

• Like 1

What I like about Rodgers is that he doesn't come with a particular style that he will try and impose which is an under-discussed aspect of why so many managers are failing in the Premier League. He has a massive ego but he is a pragmatic manager who will look to play to the strengths of what he has.

Maddison, Gray, Barnes, Iheanacho should be looking at what he did with Sterling at Liverpool and looking at this appointment positively. Vardy should be thinking about how Suarez went from a very good player to a world class player under Rodgers. I think this appointment makes an awful lot of sense.

• Like 2

Just now, Dames said:

I didn't mention names specifically but if the shoe fits...

Puel is gone - accept the fact, it really didn't work out for him here. He's done some good but he also didn't get a lot of things right and by all accounts coming out his failure to properly integrate himself with his staff and a really poor run of form has lost him his job. It wasn't ever going to change and he was given more than plenty of chance to turn it around.

Rodgers is a reasonable choice - he's not been a complete failure in any job since Swansea who he did reasonably well with, Liverpool he had 2 good seasons before shitting the bed in his last season and he's been good for Celtic (its easy but its helped build his confidence). Some of his press conferences are a bit ropey but from all accounts from some really big name players his man management skills are second to none and that is what this club needs right now, someone with a similar philosophy to Puel to come in and evolve what we have but also get the players fired back up and confident again.

Yeah, I have accepted he's gone, I'm not that fussed about it - as I've said repeatedly before I'd have gotten rid in the summer anyway: with most of the old guard out of contract it presented a clear opportunity to give a new man a completely clean slate to work with. I just don't think Rodgers is any good as a manager, and will amount to nothing more than the same discussion in 12 months time. I'd have sooner taken the clean slate in the summer and given it to a young manager who can really advance us.

3 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Yeah, I have accepted he's gone, I'm not that fussed about it - as I've said repeatedly before I'd have gotten rid in the summer anyway: with most of the old guard out of contract it presented a clear opportunity to give a new man a completely clean slate to work with. I just don't think Rodgers is any good as a manager, and will amount to nothing more than the same discussion in 12 months time. I'd have sooner taken the clean slate in the summer and given it to a young manager who can really advance us.

The position we are in - we might not have had the summer.

This is really astute by the club and i'm really impressed by how we've gone about this. The balls the club have shown to take a manager from a club who is on course for a 10th straight league title and 2 other domestic cups will breed confidence around the place. Confidence that is sorely needed. Rodgers coming in now also has the benefit of the new manager bounce to get us to safety, gives him the remainder of the season to get to know his squad and to then be prepared for a shorter transfer window in the summer to get it right. It removes any uncertainty around a future appointment and any awkwardness if an interim manager does well and the players want him to have the job full time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

He's had one flop at Reading, they got him from Watford for good reason, they'd really starting to improve and were looking good after a slow start. Yes his final season at Anfield was a tad sketchy, but you can't avoid the point that he lost an amazing Striker, Gerrard was coming to the end of his career and they came off the back of a massive bitter disappointment. Everything else has been a success. He's quite clearly a decent manager and I doubt frankly we could possibly get anyone better.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lcfceaves said:

So confused, he’s risking tarnishing his reputation at Celtic now, especially if they don’t go on to win everything... I would have thought best for all parties, agree a deal to join at the end of the season

Now is the best time, purely to watch Celtic fans cry. With a bit of luck Rangers will over take them in the league too, just to compile their misery further.

Karmas a bitch. You take MON and we will wait nearly 20 years until you are about to achieve something special and pull it away from you lol

• Haha 1

I honestly believe he can take us to the next level and build on what Puel has put in place in terms of ability to hold the ball when needed, but Rodgers can tweak our counter attack to make us more clinical.

This is a perfect fit, Rodgers could probably get. Bigger job than us after his record with going close at Liverpool with a bang average squad and his success in Scotland. 

The fact he's found this so tempting that he's willing to turn down a treble treble to take it speaks volumes. He wants to be here. Bring on the weekend!!!