Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Tielemans

After about the Burnley game where it was obvious the man was world class and too good for us I decided to just enjoy him but not get my hopes up.

Obviously that went out of the window. I'll be so gutted if we can't keep him.

• Like 2

After conceding defeat in Tielemans coming last night i now have some hope that things could happen that he ends up here. Not many foreign clubs will be interested as they either have bigger fish to fry or can't afford him. Of the English clubs:

Man Utd - Probably won't if Pogba stays

Tottenham - Lo Celso is there first choice

Chelsea - no links and maybe a transfer ban

Arsenal - Probably can't afford to blow their budget on one player

Man City - Silva has announced he will stay for another year

Liverpool - no links

Tielemans could still end up here as we're the last man standing?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gerard said:

After conceding defeat in Tielemans coming last night i now have some hope that things could happen that he ends up here. Not many foreign clubs will be interested as they either have bigger fish to fry or can't afford him. Of the English clubs:

Man Utd - Probably won't if Pogba stays

Tottenham - Lo Celso is there first choice

Chelsea - no links and maybe a transfer ban

Arsenal - Probably can't afford to blow their budget on one player

Man City - Silva has announced he will stay for another year

Liverpool - no links

Tielemans could still end up here as we're the last man standing?

I still think Utd might want him regardless of Pogba staying or not, the issue is if Pogba does stay how they set up that gives Youri enough first team football that he deserves. They could play together in a 4-1-4-1 like he did with Maddison but I look at Utd's squad and they don't have a destroyer as good as Ndidi. Matic has declined, McTominay is ok but not good enough to be in that midfield and challenge for top 4 and Fred is dog shit.

Likewise I think Spurs have a place for him in that team especially if Eriksen leaves but they also don't really have the destroyer there that allows them to play Tielemans and Alli together or Tielemans and Eriksen. Winks is a classy player but neither defensive nor attacking, Wanyama hasn't really featured much in recent seasons through injury and Eric Dier is dog shit.

It feels like he could quite easily find himself in an environment where he's a squad player as there's a bigger star in a similar position to him who would get the nod when the shit hits the fan and he's had this problem already at Monaco and hated it. He wants to play football, he wants to be part of a progressive team and he most certainly wants to be bang in the mix for the Euros next summer.

The ballsy move and the shrewdest move is to come back to Leicester, and that's not being biased. He is a hero here and could help us do something amazing, he will then get his chance if he craves another big move all before he's even 24/25 and when his reputation automatically makes him the main man at the best clubs. Right now it would be convenient to rotate him if he went to one of the top 6 in the Prem, most of them are a shambles.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

After about the Burnley game where it was obvious the man was world class and too good for us I decided to just enjoy him but not get my hopes up.

Obviously that went out of the window. I'll be so gutted if we can't keep him.

I'm sure the normally level-headed (ish, sort of) @Ric Flair called him a 'genius' at some point. Although that point was before his last two games.

I do wonder whether our desperate need for a player like Tielemans has inflated our opinion of him, 'water in the desert' style.

Not arguing he won't become a 'world class' player (I doubt it based solely on their inherent rarity), but he's a fair way off that yet. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turtmcfly said:

I'm sure the normally level-headed (ish, sort of) @Ric Flair called him a 'genius' at some point. Although that point was before his last two games.

I do wonder whether our desperate need for a player like Tielemans has inflated our opinion of him, 'water in the desert' style.

Not arguing he won't become a 'world class' player (I doubt it based solely on their inherent rarity), but he's a fair way off that yet. 

This!

if we are not careful we are going to set us up for a big fall. We are building him up to be the next coming the messiah that will guarantee European football. Let’s not forget he has impressed for us in most of the games he has played in others particularly the last couple he has been anonymous. He was also considered over a long period of time not good enough for a poor Monaco side.

I think some on here need to get a grip on reality he could come here be a great success or just as easily be found out in the league and just be a mid table prem footballer. The big thing that Tielemans has shown us that our system needs a Tielemans type player and I’m sure he’s not the only option the club are considering, and that is a positive in itself.  

He is great but far off the complete player as we noticed in a few of them last games. If hes smart and got a smart team around him then 38 more premier league games with us is better then 10 games with a top European side.

Edited by les-tah
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Because it was never ever ever ever ever on offer. :angry:

They wanted us to take the option to buy at £40m. We refused to go that high thinking we may get him for £30m.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, sylofox said:

They wanted us to take the option to buy at £40m. We refused to go that high thinking we may get him for £30m.

Do we know that to be true - I didn’t think there was an ‘option’??

and if it is, I suspect it reflects that YT wants to come here and won’t sign for anyone else so has asked for the 10 as a s/o fee .......

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Do we know that to be true - I didn’t think there was an ‘option’??

and if it is, I suspect it reflects that YT wants to come here and won’t sign for anyone else so has asked for the 10 as a s/o fee .......

I was told when we singed him we had refused the option. The club thought £40m at the time was to high. 

That's why the £40m is the starting price for him. We took a gamble that sadly didn't pay off. 

10 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I wonder if Choudhury could grow into the Tielemans role. He seems to have more about him to me than just a CDM.

Absolutely not & I hope our recruitment team are not stupid enough to think this also. Youri’s G/A tally from the 8 or so games last season, I doubt hamza would manage in 200 games. 

Good destroyer & in certain games but absolutely need youri or a similar type of player. 

Mad It stands, we’ve regressed since last season & without youri are probably a 10th-13th placed side.

we will see 

Edited by Meat and 2 veg
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, murphy said:

Who though?

The thing is we already know that he fits so well into this team and works so well with Vardy, Wilf and Maddison.

We have shown in the past that we're not very good at replacing people:

Kante replaced by Mendy

Drinkwater replaced by Silva

Mahrez replaced by Ghezzal

Instead of trying to replace Youri lets go all out for him.

I get the desperation to sign him, but honestly if a big team in Europe show enough interest it isn’t happening. 

It has been proven over many years, there are players out there if you look hard enough 

3 minutes ago, lcfceaves said:

I get the desperation to sign him, but honestly if a big team in Europe show enough interest it isn’t happening. 

It has been proven over many years, there are players out there if you look hard enough 

Of course.

If he gets better offer and takes it, there is nothing we can do and I won't begrudge him that.

Obviously, I don't know what is going on behind the scenes but I just want us to try and give it our best shot at signing him.  If it doesn't come off then I can live with that.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I wonder if Choudhury could grow into the Tielemans role. He seems to have more about him to me than just a CDM.

Unfortunately I don’t think so... 

However I do think Choudhury has the potential to offer more than Ndidi in the CDM role. 

Going to be an interesting one to watch next season. 

Tielemans is quoted as saying: “I do not know what can be considered the absolute top club, but I find, for example, Leicester are a great club with great ambitions.”

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Although both of you are absolutely correct to down play things a bit to counter the adulation the likes of me have showered Youri with, consider this. The lad got 3 goals and 6 assists I think in 13 games? Most of these came against the sorts of opposition that we really struggled with prior to his arrival. Yes, he was anonymous vs Man City and Chelsea and yet he still ought to have had a goal vs Chelsea (Vardy squares it and it's 1-0) and an assist where I think Vardy fluffed his lines in the same game? You gross up them stats across a season and the man is a beast from central midfield but more importantly we know he fits in here. Most players we can attract come with an element of risk, but that risk with Tielemans is almost non-existent unless he gets a long term injury or something.

In terms of what we can achieve with him compared to without might be debatable as we only have the small portion of the season under Rodgers to go on but we do know what this team was like under Puel without him and although Rodgers is a different manager who will make us better, the problems with breaking down negative teams is still there and yet Tielemans was often the catalyst to putting teams like that to bed, bar maybe the Newcastle game where they did a number on us. Almost every other game he scored or assisted in, extraordinary.

We need him, end of story. £40m for a 22 year old potential world beater or waste a similar amount on an inferior alternative and a couple of squad fillers like we love to do (Ward, Ghezzal, Soyuncu), it's really that simple.

To progress we need him....  

• Like 2