Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StevieB

Seagrave Training Centre - Construction updates

23 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

Conservation: re-homing the site’s great crested newts

A former golf course with several ponds dotted throughout, the site was home to hundreds of great crested newts – a European protected species.

The amphibians can only be moved under license from Natural England, and only when the temperature is above 5 deg C.

The complexities around this early work put off one of McLaren’s competitors for the job, according to project director Martin Burge.

The main contractor, alongside consultant EDP, came up with a strategy to manage the early construction works around the removal of the newts so as not to delay the job.

In the end, 348 great crested newts were re-homed during the project, along with a further (non-protected) 257 smooth newts and 245 common toads.

Happy now, Frank?

"The contractor has submitted a plan to Highways England and is awaiting permission for it to be signed-off"

This could be a bit of a problem. It's where Frank works.

I think they should have a flyover on the A46 at the junction. There's nothing more impressive than going over a bridge and seeing something like this.

Edited by yorkie1999

I now feel guilty about the number of fecking golf balls I used to regularly hit into those Park Hill ponds as I may have inadvertently inconvenienced a great crested newt. Fvck the smooth newts. Those b@stards got everything they deserved. ;-)

I once caught a crested newt when I was out at a fishing lake - it was lurking under a lily pad.  I took it home and put it in my pond and it lived there for a while. We called it Zoot.  It disappeared after a few weeks. Either got bored or my pond wasn't up to its high standards and it moved to Park Hill or the heron got it.  True story.

• Haha 1

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-citys-new-training-ground-3585114

Leicester City's new training ground on schedule despite 'absolute nightmare'
Contractors McLaren Construction said heavy rainfall had had a big impact on building work at the site in Seagrave

ByJordan Blackwell
17:38, 27 NOV 2019
SPORT

Leicester City's training ground is taking shape (Image: Leicestershire from the Skies)

Leicester City’s new training ground is on course to be completed by next summer despite recent bad weather proving an “absolute nightmare” for contractors McLaren.

City hope to move into their £100m state-of-the-art facility in Seagrave ahead of the 2020-21 season and construction company McLaren are working around the clock to finish the project in time.

Heavy rainfall this month, which caused severe flooding in the East Midlands and South Yorkshire, has caused delays to building work, but project director Martin Burge remains confident of keeping to the schedule.

“Some bits are ahead, some bits are behind,” Burge, a City fan, told Construction News.

“The weather has killed us recently, it’s been an absolute nightmare – but we are still on target.”

McLaren were given just 77 weeks to complete the building work, with no opportunity to ask for an extension.

Burge said: “Perhaps with a different client and a different structure you’d say: ‘We need a bit more time.’

“But here it wasn’t within the client’s gift – they have a hard and fast holding point. The Premier League season starts when it starts and we have to be ready for that.”

The weather has not been the only issue.

McLaren had to alter their plans for the steel roof on the indoor training centre at the heart of the compound.

Photos of construction work at Leicester City FC's new training ground complex

VIEW GALLERY
The roof weighs 1,560 tonnes – the equivalent of 21,081 Jamie Vardys – and spans 80m, and structural contractors realised the columns would not alone support the frame and that the reinforced concrete walls needed to built first.

“So we had to change our entire strategy on that,” Burge said.

“At one point we were looking at the jaws of disaster, from a programme point of view on that one.”

Before City move in, they also need to improve the A46, which runs alongside the training ground.

As part of the planning permission, the new headquarters cannot be operational until work has been carried out on the closest junction to the site, City needing to ensure the A46 can cope with increased traffic.

McLaren are helping City on this front and have submitted plans to Highways England.

“As McLaren, we can push this and get all the buildings done and fitted out, but if that road’s not done they can’t take occupation,” Burge said.

“It’s a big risk, a client-held risk, and we’re helping them to try and get that done as quickly as possible.”

Photos of construction work at Leicester City FC's new training ground complex

Isaac AsheDeputy Digital Publishing Editor
  • 06:00, 12 OCT 2019
  • UPDATED18:48, 27 NOV 2019
  1. 0_IAR_TEM_111019lcfctraining_001.jpg
    Photos of construction work at Leicester City FC's new training ground complex. Credit: Leicester City FC1 of 10
  2. 0_IAR_TEM_111019lcfctraining_002.jpg
    Photos of construction work at Leicester City FC's new training ground complex. Credit: Leicester City FC2 of 10
  3. 0_IAR_TEM_111019lcfctraining_003.jpg
    Photos of construction work at Leicester City FC's new training ground complex. Credit: Leicester City FC3 of 10
  4. 0_IAR_TEM_111019lcfctraining_004.jpg
    Photos of construction work at Leicester City FC's new training ground complex. Credit: Leicester City FC4 of 10
  5. 0_IAR_TEM_111019lcfctraining_005.jpg
    Photos of construction work at Leicester City FC's new training ground complex. Credit: Leicester City FC5 of 10
  6. 0_IAR_TEM_111019lcfctraining_006.jpg
    Photos of construction work at Leicester City FC's new training ground complex. Credit: Leicester City FC6 of 10
  7. 0_IAR_TEM_111019lcfctraining_007.jpg
    Photos of construction work at Leicester City FC's new training ground complex. Credit: Leicester City FC7 of 10
  8. 0_IAR_TEM_111019lcfctraining_008.jpg
    Photos of construction work at Leicester City FC's new training ground complex. Credit: Leicester City FC8 of 10
  9. 0_IAR_TEM_111019lcfctraining_009.jpg
    Photos of construction work at Leicester City FC's new training ground complex. Credit: Leicester City FC9 of 10
  10. 0_IAR_TEM_111019lcfctraining_010.jpg
    Photos of construction work at Leicester City FC's new training ground complex. Credit: Leicester City FC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, StanSP said:

This is the new outdoor pool they were on about. 

Thought it was a modern day alternative to the Jock Wallace sand hill.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't think there's an alternative route, to go out of this training ground, away from the A46 - is there?*

*Of course going through the village of Seagrave itself is the obvious different route out, but that would no doubt cause potential nuisance to the residents of what once was a sleepy-type area.

*Unless they, somehow, can create a private road for the training ground staff/visitors etc that avoids getting caught up in waiting to get onto the A46?

Edited by Wymeswold fox

1. Journo manning the Mockery’s Foxestalk desk discovers useful Construction News article shared by @Fox in the North

2. Journo condenses and slightly rewords said article, taking a moment to calculate how many Jamie Vardys make up a roof.

3. Mockery publishes “its” in-depth training site update (I'm guessing amongst the reworded Sun, Mail and Twitter rumors?).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KingsX said:

1. Journo manning the Mockery’s Foxestalk desk discovers useful Construction News article shared by @Fox in the North

2. Journo condenses and slightly rewords said article, taking a moment to calculate how many Jamie Vardys make up a roof.

3. Mockery publishes “its” in-depth training site update (I'm guessing amongst the reworded Sun, Mail and Twitter rumors?).

4. The Nationals pick up article and slightly reword it again ;)

Picked up by the Daily Mail now, naturally with the words BLESS and NEWTS capitalised in the headline and the whole story twisted to imply something other than the truth:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7734761/Leicesters-new-training-ground-delayed-owners-wanting-BLESS-steel.html

Wankers.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, KingsX said:

16 hours ago, los dedos said:

4. The Nationals pick up article and slightly reword it again ;)

5.  @Simoken picks it up from the nationals and starts a new FT thread

6.   dogtail.JPG.2e7da10a0542d7b7c272cc01e561bb71.JPG

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Simoken said:

Construction News did a nice article yesterday on the new training facility and how its being constructed. interesting read

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/civils/project-reports-civils/inside-leicester-city-fcs-new-training-ground-27-11-2019/

According to that the project director is a Leicester fan! That makes me think they will make sure no corners are cut and the centre is genuinely world class. It should be in good hands then!