Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GeorgeTheFox

Jamie Vardy Appreciation

On 30/11/2020 at 21:07, Manini said:

The only player we have that is above criticism. He could score 16 own goals in one game and I still wouldn’t care. He’s earned the right to do what the **** he likes. 

What's the record for that anyway?  If he fancies another, just for fun...? ;) :D 

3 hours ago, nnfox said:

I understand why people in here look at him through rose-tinted specs.  I understand that he is a legend of the game and quite possibly our greatest ever legend.  I understand that he has earned the right to be un-droppable.  I understand that he is a media darling, and everytime he scores a goal, regardless of the circumstances or the rest of his performance, pundits fall over themselves to claim how he gets better and better and I understand how people like us, who love Jamie Vardy, lap it up.

I also understand that he is nearly 34 and a big part of his game was based on pace and aggression.  I also understand that he has adapted his style and the rest of the team has adapted their style to accommodate him too.

And you'll have to believe me that I'm not questioning him on the basis of one game.  The Vardy of 3 or 4 years ago has gone.  There is now no chasing down lost causes, no sticking big tackles in on hapless defenders.  Those attributes were a massive part of his game and of course I don't expect him to be doing that at the age of 34, but those things brought great benefits to the team.  His game is now based on well-timed, clever runs with excellent finishing.  The rest of the team have adapted to this and I believe is a root cause of our problems.  Creating chances for Jamie Vardy is our Plan A.  There is no identifiable Plan B.  And unfortunately our Plan A is pretty easy to defend against if you are a well organised team that are happy to sit deep and watch our defenders and midfielders pass the ball from one side of the pitch to the other and back again.

If we are going to be a top team in this division, challenging top 6/top 4, we need to score more goals, more regularly.  To do that, we need to create more chances.  I'm just saying that Jamie Vardy acting as lone striker can't be relied upon to get us the goals we need.  He isn't going to play forever and I think now is the time to start serious plans for doing things differently.  Vardy can still be great for us but I'm of the opinion that he now needs resting more often, maybe starting on the bench every third game or something, perhaps play Iheanacho up front with him more often.  It gives him a rest and allows the team to evolve new styles of play.

And I don't care about Harry Kane.

He is a legend . He is are best ever player. He is a world class striker whose adapted his game and although is clearly not the beast of 2015-2018 where he could score 20 goals in a mid table turgid team out of nothing but raw brutal finishing and pace, he’s still not anywhere near the problem.

He is NOT undroppable, no one is but how you can watch that match and think Vardy should be anywhere near the first one mentioned is quite strange.

BR needs to be hammered, Mendy and Fuchs were absolute garbage and it’s clear to see when we take off the handbrake and play our better players we look better.

On vardy, Was he great? No. Was he awful? No. Was he isolated? Yeah. Could he of done better? Possibly? He still got an assist living off less than scraps. Could we of set up our team to get the best out of not only him but the rest of our squad? Certainly!

When Barnes and Under came on we looked better, But at 0-2 against that low block we were never winning. Brendan cost us that game as he did with West Ham.

As I’ve said in other threads.
If he started the game with the intent to win like he did at HT we’d be talking about a win.

There will come a day when we need to faze him out no matter how big a legend is he and you have to move on, however that is a bizarre game to even come up with that assumption.

I mentioned Kane because he seems to be touted as the best striker in the world by a lot of the media, he was awful last season. He had injuries but he looked pathetic probably since 18/19 and me personally before this year thought he would decline.

The thing is just like everyone, you need service. He was struggling because Spurs were awful for over a year with Poch so ‘they had no plan B’ ‘Kane’s icolated’ but they get a better team around him and suddenly ‘comes to life’.

No matter how super human Vardy has been at times and how people expect him to get space and score every game despite being marked by the entire back 5 and middle blocking the lines, maybe you need to look at the clear more obvious flaw of BR setting up like a scared bottle job.

Until BR sets up properly and actually wants us to win the games, don’t be suprised if Vardy and Maddison struggle to do much vs 2 London buses every game. Tielemens will also ‘not impact the game’ as much and we’ll point to all this garbage by attacking the top talent we have because we miss the bigger picture of a supposed top manager not using them correctly.

17 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Until BR sets up properly and actually wants us to win the games

Do you genuinely believe he sets us up not wanting to win? Most of what you said was very fair, but if you really believe that BR is trying not to win (and I don't think you do, I suspect that's just how it looks to you) then that's a very worrying position to be arguing from.

• Like 1