Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GeorgeTheFox

Jamie Vardy Appreciation

Just a unique breed as a striker comes. We all know how good he is in the box but he's very effective in his use of the ball. I've started to notice how good his link up play is also. It's very simple but he tends to always find someone and if he's isolated he will win a free kick/throw in/corner. 

I think Suarez is the only player I can think of that is similar to his style of play, but Vardy is much more of a team player and much more clinical. We won't be able to replace him when he does leave us, but we're likely going to have to find goal scoring solutions from elsewhere (i.e., wingers). 

2 hours ago, shailen said:

Just a unique breed as a striker comes. We all know how good he is in the box but he's very effective in his use of the ball. I've started to notice how good his link up play is also. It's very simple but he tends to always find someone and if he's isolated he will win a free kick/throw in/corner. 

I think Suarez is the only player I can think of that is similar to his style of play, but Vardy is much more of a team player and much more clinical. We won't be able to replace him when he does leave us, but we're likely going to have to find goal scoring solutions from elsewhere (i.e., wingers). 

Only Leicester fans will understand just how good he is. Other fans might just see him for his goals or pace or whatever. I’ve been saying it for years his link up play is up there with the best in the prem. Very rarely does he lose the ball or waste passes/shots in dangerous areas. Ruthless centre forward play in all aspects of his game not just his finishing. 

• Like 2

lets not forget his off the ball movement.

Looks at last nights chance after the ref took out one of their players, 2 on 2, think it was nacho? and Under, instead of dragging one of the players away, nacho ran toward under making it much more difficult to get a shot away, imagine vardy there he'd either be making a run to have the ball fed through to him taking a man with him and crrating more space for under

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

We're as reliant on him as ever, thankfully Barnes continues to score every so often.

To be honest, those types of games are sh*t for him anyway. When teams are sitting back you’re probably better off starting a Nacho and bringing Vardy on. 

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

We're as reliant on him as ever, thankfully Barnes continues to score every so often.

We're over-reliant on him and unfortunately he isn't as good as he used to be.

He is our best finisher, by some distance, but our game is based around creating chances for him and teams seem to be getting better and better at defending that tactic.  Sit deep, close the space, disrupt the supply. 

Don't get me wrong, when he's on the pitch, because his finishing is so good, you've always got a chance.  He is becoming more and more anonymous though.  In some games, we might as well play with 10 men.

The time is very near where we need to integrate his long-term successor.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, nnfox said:

He is our best finisher, by some distance, but our game is based around creating chances for him and teams seem to be getting better and better at defending that tactic.  Sit deep, close the space, disrupt the supply. 

Don't get me wrong, when he's on the pitch, because his finishing is so good, you've always got a chance.  He is becoming more and more anonymous though.  In some games, we might as well play with 10 men.

Thats extremely harsh. Single handedly drags us out of the shit more often than not

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I think he did as much as he could do tonight given the service he got.

Some poor touches no doubt but a neat flick which brought a save, a decent cross cleared and a nice header back for the goal.

He needs runners beyond him to be effective without always threatening/ scoring, see Sheffield United last season and Leeds this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nnfox said:

Don't agree with this. He's still hugely effective and in some ways he's getting more effective as he gets older. 

3 hours ago, AndyMaidenhead said:

Next transfer window or summer...finding Jamie's successor has to be the biggest priority.

Not to do so will be suicide.

Total waste of time and resources while Vardy is still the undisputed main man. We've tried several times but they just whither and die on the vine waiting for a sustained opportunity. Kramaric could have been the one but he had to leave to fulfill his potential.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, nnfox said:

I can’t quite believe what I’m reading lol.

Yes Vardy isn’t quite to the world class levels he was as a lightning raw physical machine. He’s 34 nearly what do you expect!? But if that’s the thing you notice out of yesterdays absolute shambles then you are clearly clutching at straws.

Kane is rated as one of the best atm, yet technically he’s ‘past his best too’ he won’t get to the levels of 2014-2018 he’s lost a yard and has had to develop his game, as Vardy has/is.
To question Vardy after that is incredible really and missing the clear bigger picture.

That’s like falling down the stairs and breaking your neck but complaining about the little cut on your finger.

4 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

I can’t quite believe what I’m reading lol.

Yes Vardy isn’t quite to the world class levels he was as a lightning raw physical machine. He’s 34 nearly what do you expect!? But if that’s the thing you notice out of yesterdays absolute shambles then you are clearly clutching at straws.

Kane is rated as one of the best atm, yet technically he’s ‘past his best too’ he won’t get to the levels of 2014-2018 he’s lost a yard and has had to develop his game, as Vardy has/is.
To question Vardy after that is incredible really and missing the clear bigger picture.

That’s like falling down the stairs and breaking your neck but complaining about the little cut on your finger.

I understand why people in here look at him through rose-tinted specs.  I understand that he is a legend of the game and quite possibly our greatest ever legend.  I understand that he has earned the right to be un-droppable.  I understand that he is a media darling, and everytime he scores a goal, regardless of the circumstances or the rest of his performance, pundits fall over themselves to claim how he gets better and better and I understand how people like us, who love Jamie Vardy, lap it up.

I also understand that he is nearly 34 and a big part of his game was based on pace and aggression.  I also understand that he has adapted his style and the rest of the team has adapted their style to accommodate him too.

And you'll have to believe me that I'm not questioning him on the basis of one game.  The Vardy of 3 or 4 years ago has gone.  There is now no chasing down lost causes, no sticking big tackles in on hapless defenders.  Those attributes were a massive part of his game and of course I don't expect him to be doing that at the age of 34, but those things brought great benefits to the team.  His game is now based on well-timed, clever runs with excellent finishing.  The rest of the team have adapted to this and I believe is a root cause of our problems.  Creating chances for Jamie Vardy is our Plan A.  There is no identifiable Plan B.  And unfortunately our Plan A is pretty easy to defend against if you are a well organised team that are happy to sit deep and watch our defenders and midfielders pass the ball from one side of the pitch to the other and back again.

If we are going to be a top team in this division, challenging top 6/top 4, we need to score more goals, more regularly.  To do that, we need to create more chances.  I'm just saying that Jamie Vardy acting as lone striker can't be relied upon to get us the goals we need.  He isn't going to play forever and I think now is the time to start serious plans for doing things differently.  Vardy can still be great for us but I'm of the opinion that he now needs resting more often, maybe starting on the bench every third game or something, perhaps play Iheanacho up front with him more often.  It gives him a rest and allows the team to evolve new styles of play.

And I don't care about Harry Kane.