Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

Hughton's been sacked by Brighton.

Given how they ended the season and played in the 2nd half, they were pretty shite. Only 3 wins in that time and if it weren't for the bottom 3 being even shitter, they'd have gone down on other seasons perhaps...

Bournemouth have concedes 70 goals this season. Only Huddersfield (76) and Fulham (81) have conceded more. 

5 years in this division  and Howe still hasn't learned.

This is an interesting one. He's done a good job to get them up and keeping them up on what would be described as a limited budget.

I guess this is one of those where a new boss comes in and either pushes on or we see the extent of the job Hughton did.

Would this come under Brighton wanting  more than they should reasonably expect on their budget?

Edited by UniFox21

Just now, UniFox21 said:

This is an interesting one. He's done a good job to get them up and keeping them up on what would be described as a limited budget.

I guess this is one of those where a new boss comes in and either pushes on or we see the extent of the job Houghton did.

Would this come under Brighton wanting  more than they should reasonably expect on their budget?

Brighton have terrible players. Partly Hughtons fault as he signed them but that team isn't gonna do better than 17th next season. 

I can see why they've sacked him. They've regressed whilst spending quite a bit of money, playing some awful football. To be honest if they kept him I think they are doomed next season but even though they've got rid of him I think they'll go too. 

2 minutes ago, Koke said:

Brighton have terrible players. Partly Hughtons fault as he signed them but that team isn't gonna do better than 17th next season. 

However, it's then is it Hughton signing them or people above him and him choosing the best of a bad bunch? 

They need a cash injection of decent levels in the right areas to be able to grow. They're over reliant on Murray for me. 

If they do well next year, can see Howe and others in that area being at risk

I think the word 'sacked' is quite harsh in this situation. I think Brighton have just decided its time for a change, solid foundations there defensively but they've spent a fair bit on attackers that have on the whole failed. Its a decent opportunity for someone though, Puel?

• Like 2

I like Hughton and he’s done superb for Brighton (promotion, staying up twice, FA Cup semi final) but I can see why they’ve sacked him given his lack off attacking threat, despite spending money, and that run of 4/5/6 games without scoring.

Hope to see him back in football next season though.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Koke said:

Bournemouth have concedes 70 goals this season. Only Huddersfield (76) and Fulham (81) have conceded more. 

Was baffled when people wanted him as our next manager before we got Brendan!

The guy can only play one way and never adapts to the opposition! He will go to the Etihad and try pass Man City off the park.

Very overrated manager.

2 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Graham Potter at Swansea favourite at 1/4

Claude Puel at 20/1

Puel is the right type of manager for them, he won't get you relegated and will help change their ethos from a (to be polite) crossing and long ball team to a more expansive team capable of passing the ball rather than just hoofing it up to Murray.

They need a bit of a shake up tbh, especially with the passing teams in Norwich and Sheff Utd coming up, they could be in for a tough ride 

3 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Graham Potter at Swansea favourite at 1/4

Claude Puel at 20/1

That's an unusual one. He did a reasonable job at Swansea last season given that they've slashed the squad and budget hugely, from what I understand they were fantastic at home and terrible away. Pretty out of the blue as a favourite.

Hughton will get another job quite comfortably. Potentially West Brom. 

Think the Brighton sacking is pretty sensible. They’ve waited until the end of the season and got a bigger choice of managers now. They’ve got significantly worse in the past six months. At home they were previously a tricky opponent whereas now they are easy to negotiate. 

• Like 2

They've been utterly dreadful since Christmas so not a surprise. Idk how much Hughton had to do with recruitment there but their recruitment since coming up has been poor. Maybe that will improve with Dan Ashworth going there but think it will be a tricky job for anyone going there

Do feel a bit sorry for Hughton. He played for Ireland after all!

They played alright against us but I can understand the decision given their recent form.

Besides some of our fans weren't too impressed with the patronising tone to us over Claudio Ranieri. Lot of Brighton may seem this is justified.

39 minutes ago, Koke said:

I find them quite entertaining to watch.

If they had a great defence, to compliment their usual goalscoring feats, they could've done a 'Leicester' and surprise a lot by finishing much higher in the table..

They aren't doing too badly considering their lower-league infrastructure and some of their costly recruitment errors over the past few years or so.

Personal table prediction:

1. Manchester City

2. Liverpool (again, probably go to the final couple of games)

3. Leicester*

*(Seriously, reckon it can happen - Man United and Chelsea are on the decline and their youngsters have less experience them ours in this league, plus they have a few so-called 'talented' players who will need shipping out as they don't want to be at these clubs.

4. Tottenham

5. Man United

6. Chelsea

7. Arsenal

8. Wolves

9. West Ham

10. Watford

11. Everton

12. Crystal Palace

13. Bournemouth

14. Southampton

15. Newcastle

16. Burnley

17. Norwich

18. Sheffield United

19. Brighton

20. Leeds/West Brom

• Haha 2

Brighton have been terrible. We moaned that people and the media didn’t “get it” when we sacked Claudio, Puel, Shakey etc. I think this is another one of those situations. He was taking them backwards and they’d have been my choice to go down next season. 

• Like 2

If I supported a mid table team I'd prefer Howe's way than the seemingly favoured approach of showing little ambition and watching your team sit on the edge of the box in an attempt to squeeze out a 1-0. 

• Like 2

On 28/04/2019 at 08:16, Ric Flair said:

Brighton have bombed massively but I'm not so sure it will continue next season. Prior to this alarming slump, they looked in great nick as a mid table club and in the latter stages of the FA Cup. 

It would be interesting to hear from Brighton fans what they think, if the season was another 4-5 games I think they'd go down though so something has gone wrong. Hope they sort it pit as I like Chris Hughton and really thought he was underrated. Would hate to see him sacked, but no doubt he would get another team promoted again. He is one of the most effective managers in the Championship.

Brighton look like relegation fodder next season. They've really bombed and struggle to score goals. 

When I look at the PL this season it's hard to see who will go down next season as Southampton have had an upturn, Burnley should be okay and Bournemouth still have a lot of quality in the squad. As it stands it's looking like any three from four of the promoted sides and Brighton to be relegated. 

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

Brighton had to sack Hughton, it's like us with Ranieri - was incredible for the club but going down unless a change is made. 

The issue is that there is no guarantee that they will stay up even with a change of manager. Right now I'd have them as favourites to go down as all of the teams coming up will have that promotion buzz about them, whereas Brighton are just sliding further and further down a slippery slope. 

With Hughton gone I reckon it's between Howe, Dyche and Solskjaer for next one to go.

Brighton had to get rid.

Similar to us and Puel, he's a nice bloke but the football is horrendous and it doesn't get results.

3 wins in 23. 36 points is enough to get you relegated most seasons and that's without Huddersfield and Fulham being unbelievably bad.

• Like 1