Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

On 28/04/2019 at 09:16, Ric Flair said:

Brighton have bombed massively but I'm not so sure it will continue next season. Prior to this alarming slump, they looked in great nick as a mid table club and in the latter stages of the FA Cup. 

They're terrible mate. How many of their dozens of summer signings turned into a success? Very few, if any at all. They still rely on a 78 year old Glenn Murray for goals and their midfield lack serious creativity. 

Shocking recruitment + a defensive styled manager will get you 17th at best. I like Brighton and Hughton but unless they add 3/4/5 really good players then all they can hope for is another 17th placed finish. 

Hopefully they won't appoint Mark Hughes or Pardew. 

• Like 4

So many comments on social media classing the Hughton sacking as a joke etc...

Seems the only sensible comments are in this thread.

IMG_0053.thumb.PNG.d69ed72267eae7632b92b09189f4ecc4.PNG

They looked woeful for the majority of the season, it's another case of a manager taking a club as far as he can.

A fresh approach for them was needed :thumbup:

5 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

Jahanbakhsh has been some disaster. I know Ghezzal has not been a world beater but we were lucky not to have ended up with the Iranian.

Any flair/attacking players that aren't massive or incredibly fast are always going to struggle to look good when the manager places a massive emphasis on safety.

34 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

Jahanbakhsh has been some disaster. I know Ghezzal has not been a world beater but we were lucky not to have ended up with the Iranian.

The two other wingers we were heavily linked with last summer who I was a bit miffed we missed out on (Jahanbakhsh and Elyonoussi) have both been abysmal, shows how much I know hahahaaa

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The two other wingers we were heavily linked with last summer who I was a bit miffed we missed out on (Jahanbakhsh and Elyonoussi) have both been abysmal, shows how much I know hahahaaa

I've got to put my hands up and say I was in that camp too! I thought both looked like pretty good players and was disappointed we didn't get either ahead of Ghezzal. Even though Ghezzal hasn't been a good buy, he's done a lot more than the others with some decent performances in some games. Guess we would have fallen victim to the YouTube highlight reels as Head of Recruitment eh?! :facepalm:lol

At the end of the day you look at that Mahrez goal for Man City yesterday and you realise what we are lacking with our wide options. I can only assume we didn't have the budget last year to go and get a genuine replacement and / or we wanted to give Gray his chance. But neither Gray nor Ghezzal took their opportunity and it's time for someone else to come in. I know you are keen on Brais Mendez of Celta Vigo (6 goals, 7 assists) but would you rather have him or Jarod Bowen of Hull? Or someone else?

I personally think the Bowen signing is inevitable and will be our equivalent of Maddison last summer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mozartfox said:

With regards to Ozil and Sanchez, people living in Glass Houses comes to mind.  Contract extension for Matty James given his horrendous injury history?

If we were paying Matty James one of our top wages I'd agree but we aren't. Surely.

Ozil and Sanchez are on deals well above their worth now and they've now got other players demanding more than they're worth. They've both made a complete mess of it. Arsenal by letting the contracts run down (and then getting desperate and paying Ozil an obscene wage) and Man Utd by making a 'statement' signing by getting Sanchez over Man City, only he's been a terrible fit.

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's the same every season in the transfer window section... people get pissy about missing out to the likes of Brighton and Southampton for so called stars and then they play dog shit for a whole season lol 

I can't wait to see this years versions! 

• Like 3

My first thought was that Hughton was treated harshly but looking at the level of spending at the club they were entitled to expect more . He may not have personally scouted the hapless incompetents they’ve signed but as manager he would have to carry the can 

16 minutes ago, AjcW said:

It's the same every season in the transfer window section... people get pissy about missing out to the likes of Brighton and Southampton for so called stars and then they play dog shit for a whole season lol 

I can't wait to see this years versions! 

Agree (although I thought Elyanoussi would be less crap than he turned out) . 

Decent players from the championship though costly generally deliver much better value on the whole 

Brighton have spent way more than given credit for. I think it sums up the success level of a lot of their signings that no-one seems to realise it. They've made loads of signings.

Correct decision for me. A shame but I thought they looked a very sound bet to drop next year with him in charge. There was a point not too long ago when we were the only club outside the top six who'd won there but they've been getting beat by everyone lately.

On the radio earlier they were talking to someone linked to them and they were on about possibly Benitez, which I found hard to believe, and then that they were considering a move for Juan Mata? Have I totally misread them?

8 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Brighton have spent way more than given credit for. I think it sums up the success level of a lot of their signings that no-one seems to realise it. They've made loads of signings.

Correct decision for me. A shame but I thought they looked a very sound bet to drop next year with him in charge. There was a point not too long ago when we were the only club outside the top six who'd won there but they've been getting beat by everyone lately.

On the radio earlier they were talking to someone linked to them and they were on about possibly Benitez, which I found hard to believe, and then that they were considering a move for Juan Mata? Have I totally misread them?

It wasn't TalkSport, was it?

If so, these rumours are just from a hearsay show that is hardly a reputable source.

37 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I've got to put my hands up and say I was in that camp too! I thought both looked like pretty good players and was disappointed we didn't get either ahead of Ghezzal. Even though Ghezzal hasn't been a good buy, he's done a lot more than the others with some decent performances in some games. Guess we would have fallen victim to the YouTube highlight reels as Head of Recruitment eh?! :facepalm:lol

At the end of the day you look at that Mahrez goal for Man City yesterday and you realise what we are lacking with our wide options. I can only assume we didn't have the budget last year to go and get a genuine replacement and / or we wanted to give Gray his chance. But neither Gray nor Ghezzal took their opportunity and it's time for someone else to come in. I know you are keen on Brais Mendez of Celta Vigo (6 goals, 7 assists) but would you rather have him or Jarod Bowen of Hull? Or someone else?

I personally think the Bowen signing is inevitable and will be our equivalent of Maddison last summer.

I was thinking this earlier when walking the dog. We have blended foreign signings with domestic signings quite well under Puel. I do like getting value for money in this country if possible because you sort of know what you're going to get (Evans, Maddison) but sometimes domestic players are so overvalued and it's better to look abroad, this is where we rely on the process and the recruitment setup to do their jobs properly. On the whole, bar the disasterous summer after winning the league I think we have started to be much more shrewd and diligent in our signings. I hope under the new regime that this continues, however scary Congerton's past looks.

Mendes is a classy player, from a league that has produced a number of very good players without the obvious top sides from La Liga. I think he would fit in well here and is likely to command a price not far off Bowen. I'd probably go for Mendes over Bowen but would happily have Bowen if not as I rate him. The lack of pace that has been said about Bowen isn't quite true. I've watched him a few times and he is very effective and would likely transfer that to the PL under a Rodgers style.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

It wasn't TalkSport, was it?

If so, these rumours are just from a hearsay show that is hardly a reputable source.

Yeah, but they get people on there connected to clubs at times so it might not be total bull.

14 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Agree with this. Brighton naturally want to push on, and I don't think they would have under Hughton. He's never shown he can and has had significant funds to try and do so. If it's a choice between a likely relegation fight and the chance to get in a new manager, new ideas over the summer, there's only one winner.

The new manager might be hopeless, but the BHA board obviously felt they wanted to take that chance.

Fair play to Brighton. The ignorance of neutral fans is just incredible, mainly those that sit on the MOTD Facebook page with their top fan badges. Brighton have became the latest club that aren't allowed to look above 17th and hope to get there.

I do question whether their players are capable of doing much better, you would imagine though that Brighton want a change in style otherwise it really would be silly. That said I wonder if they would be interested in somebody like Allardyce who could perhaps lift them to comfortable mid-table which should be their next step.

2 minutes ago, Walkers said:

Fair play to Brighton. The ignorance of neutral fans is just incredible, mainly those that sit on the MOTD Facebook page with their top fan badges. Brighton have became the latest club that aren't allowed to look above 17th and hope to get there.

I do question whether their players are capable of doing much better, you would imagine though that Brighton want a change in style otherwise it really would be silly. That said I wonder if they would be interested in somebody like Allardyce who could perhaps lift them to comfortable mid-table which should be their next step.

Definitely this! Getting sick of the outrage that follows sackings like this, same as when I dare to criticise Eddie Howe in any circles. Jut because someone has done a good job to get you where you are doesn't make them immune... and being a 'nice guy' shouldn't be a reason to keep someone or feel sorry for them! 

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 09:16, Ric Flair said:

Brighton have bombed massively but I'm not so sure it will continue next season. Prior to this alarming slump, they looked in great nick as a mid table club and in the latter stages of the FA Cup. 

It would be interesting to hear from Brighton fans what they think, if the season was another 4-5 games I think they'd go down though so something has gone wrong. Hope they sort it pit as I like Chris Hughton and really thought he was underrated. Would hate to see him sacked, but no doubt he would get another team promoted again. He is one of the most effective managers in the Championship.

:(

• Sad 1