Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

2 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

I've never heard of xG...I still don't know what it is, is it some social media thang?

There are several different xG models which take into account different things, but ultimately its an attempt to define the average %chance of scoring given the circumstances behind a shot (based on an analysis of tens of thousands of shot chances). So that might mean a 40-yard shot has an xG of 0.05 whereas a penalty has an xG of 0.8. 

The problem is that whist its a good metric for looking at things on a large scale, when looking at individuals or teams it can be heavily skewed. For instance, Man City (and now, Leicester) have a much higher Goals Scored stat than their xG suggests, but that's because they're just more clinical strikers who are better at putting away difficult chances. There's lots of talk about 'regressing to the mean' and saying that our form is 'unsustainable', but thats just a lack of understanding of the model and how its developed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I think Matt is saying that those people who are going and abusing his family like that are absolute scumbags and absolutely should **** off. But there are 60k fans that go to Arsenal games and pay good money to do so. If they think someone is having a shit game they're entitled to tell them. The club telling the supporters to **** off isn't a good luck and it working have been difficult for him to apologise to the match going fans that don't send messages wishing cancer etc. Hes essentially painted the entire Arsenal fan base with the same brush which isn't fair 

That’s fine in the stadium - to a point. Outside a stadium that would not be tolerated. There is always going to be an element on banter and criticism within a stadium, but there is a fine line. He should not have reacted as he did, but under strain and stress that would test the best of us, I think his reaction is perfectly understandable. You could give an opposing player stick for an hour, then he scores and celebrates in front of a crowd and people go mad and get wound up. If it’s being dished out, don’t be surprised if it comes back at you. Everyone has their breaking point, and just because he wears a football shirt and is well paid, it doesn’t mean he doesn’t have his. There will have been plenty of fans in that stadium aware of the sort of stick he’s been getting. He shouldn’t react as he did, he made a mistake. His manager needs to take him out of the firing line to take the pressure off of him and take some heat out of the situation

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

That’s fine in the stadium - to a point. Outside a stadium that would not be tolerated. There is always going to be an element on banter and criticism within a stadium, but there is a fine line. He should not have reacted as he did, but under strain and stress that would test the best of us, I think his reaction is perfectly understandable. You could give an opposing player stick for an hour, then he scores and celebrates in front of a crowd and people go mad and get wound up. If it’s being dished out, don’t be surprised if it comes back at you. Everyone has their breaking point, and just because he wears a football shirt and is well paid, it doesn’t mean he doesn’t have his. There will have been plenty of fans in that stadium aware of the sort of stick he’s been getting. He shouldn’t react as he did, he made a mistake. His manager needs to take him out of the firing line to take the pressure off of him and take some heat out of the situation

I'm not saying he shouldn't have done it. We all do daft shit in the heat of the moment when we're under pressure and emotional.

But he's no longer under that pressure. He should be apologising to honest Arsenal fans for his behaviour because it was out of order.

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

I'm not saying he shouldn't have done it. We all do daft shit in the heat of the moment when we're under pressure and emotional.

But he's no longer under that pressure. He should be apologising to honest Arsenal fans for his behaviour because it was out of order.

But how do we know he still isn’t under that pressure. You can’t just say, well he’s  kicked off once so he must be fine now. That isn’t how stress works!! Honest they may be, but they were all giving him pelters despite knowing the pressure the guy is under. We are all passionate about our teams, put people really need to see beyond football and realise these guys aren’t just robots. If a group of people in your workplace stood around you for 90 minutes everyday telling you to F off and carried on with worse online after you’d got home, the least you would probably do after a while is repeat it back to them. 

• Thanks 1

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11850939/jurgen-klopp-says-theres-too-much-football-for-english-clubs

Too much football? Piss off. You play 6 European games before Christmas for ****'s sake, that is the equivalent of an FA Cup or League Cup run. If you reach the final that is 13 games which is more than both cups combined (without replays).

Fed up of these managers who are quite happy to play loads of European matches, with one round stretched out over 4 separate midweeks, thus reducing the availability of league games being spread out, moaning about our domestic schedule.

Time to call them out- if you don't want to be in the cups, don't enter. Face the wrath of fans or whatever but don't enter then complain. Or, change the Champions League to a straight knockout, 32 teams played over the whole season. But then you wouldn't want the reduced revenues from those matches being removed, would you?

By the middle of December, Wolves will have had to play 12 Europa League games, yet we play too much football? Nonsense.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MattP said:

Fair enough.

I suppose hearing a bomb go off down the corridor that was intended to blow you up is bad, but obviously not as upsetting as someone calling you a name on Twitter. 

Come on, Matt, I'm not just talking social media. In recent years we've had MP's being threatened with physical attacks as they walk about the street, many feel unsafe and exposed when holding surgeries, and have you already forgotten how Jo Cox was murdered?

That's my last contribution to this discussion, though, as we're wandering into the political arena rather than football. Apologies to everyone for this diversion.

• Like 1