Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Have we ever booed off a player as they have been subbed off? We probably have but I don't recall it. I'm not trying to say we are any better, just thankful we are in that place mentally at the moment!

Every club sadly does boo players on their own team, something I personally never do as I don't think it's ever going to help a player or team to do so. In fact I'm a subscriber of the way Dortmund do things, if they see one of their players having a bad game, they will sing that player's name the loudest and have people with microphones to coordinate it. Look at Soyuncu in the first game of the season, all of the fans got behind him, his confidence improved and he's possibly been our best player this season according to the fan poll thread on this forum. I think it has also helped Praet when he has come into the team too.

But fans are entitled to their own opinions of course so if they feel the need to boo then so be it. But I can't honestly say I've seen anything like this, the boos are harsh but for the player to react in that way... that is a major disconnect between fans and club and what makes it more surprising to me is that it's Arsenal! They have a brilliant ground but it's usually devoid of atmosphere so for a club like that to act in this way is really unusual.

Did not know that about Dortmund. I'm all for cheering an underperforming player doing good things, rather than booing their confidence away. One of the best memories about 15/16 were the fans when we were behind chasing a game.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Papasmurf said:

They’re very happy about it all on arsenal fan tv. 

Robbie: "Claude I'm gonna ask you....."

Claude: "ITS TIME TO GO!!11!!1!!!"

3 hours ago, Out Foxed said:

xhaka has been shit. should have replaced him time ago.

He is useless and has been pretty much since he joined Arsenal. The Arse fans have actually been very patient with him for a long time. Until now

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

I love a good Spurs defeat as much as anybody but cant believe the amount of people who were happy for Liverpool to win....a draw would have been perfect for me.

Might just be because im probably classed as older now but I dont think many realise how unbearable the Scousers will be if they win the league, plus why would we want to add another team to the select few along with us that have actually won the premier league.

It's difficult, but I'd rather cheer on Liverpool, because I'd find it plain boring if in the near future, you'd only see Manchester City winning it all on a constant basis.

Part of football is the excitement of various different teams being able to win a trophy, and the excitement of change and upsets.

Just look at us.

I don't particularly like Liverpool, but I think they are deserving of the title this time around (should they continue to play and still win games like last weekend's).

No matter where you look, you'll find entitled football fans among the bigger clubs. Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham are mostly unbearable each in their own way.

As an exception, I think Manchester City fans have been rather decent on the whole up until lately - because I guess many of them have experienced their team playing in the lower leagues, too.

Next season maybe it's us again? :ph34r:

• Like 1

Watching the Liverpool v Tottenham and it shows that along side Manchester City (And Everton, but I understand why that is) you are looking at the most cynical, would-be-victim suffering sides around. 

14 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Incredible scenes at Arsenal, where their captain is booed off, who promptly cups his ears then throws his jersey to the floor! I don't think I have ever seen anything like this in football!

http://streamable.com/zxcn6

Football really can be incredible. Makes me so thankful that Leicester as a club and fan base are in a really good place, with everyone throughout the club pulling together.

13 hours ago, Guesty said:

Feel a bit sorry for him to be honest:

Abused and insulted mercilessly because he was made captain - but he was only made captain because the squad voted for him. 
Sent death threats. 
Pregnant wife harassed. 
Has to disable comments on social media.
Booed and jeered by supposed Arsenal fans most games.

Makes me laugh: all these fans that abuse him, then bitch a whine like babies when he reacts. Not all fans, on twitter quite a lot of Arsenal fans don't blame him.

Maybe he could come to his senses and give the captaincy to somebody else?

Have there been any death threats after the incidents in early 2018?

How often was his wife abused in the end? I can find one incident in early 2019, but apart from that?

Why take Social Media so seriously? Half of Arsenal's fanbase consists of trolls, anyway.

Also, keep in mind that Xhaka himself is no angel: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/01/24/granit-xhaka-arsenal-accused-racial-abuse-interviewed-police/

Then there was the Albanian Eagle celebration whilst on international duty with team Switzerland.

Xhaka is a bit like marmite, either you like him or you don't.

He's a bit of a purposefully controversial character himself, likes to wind up fans, has an ego, is big-mouthed and rather one-dimensional on the pitch and not the smartest of guys. He can be a genius from long distance (when given space and time), but that's about it. He isn't fast and he's not particularly skillful.

I personally don't like his attitude and persona, he is more about words than performance, he isn't as good as he thinks he is.

He's never been the fastest of players, but in the Premier League, this flaw is fatal. He's been caught out of position so often already, hardly ever tracks back.

Add to that previous disciplinary issues with club and country, temper flares easily with this one.

Overall, I think him and Arsenal fans deserve each other - both utterly entitled and with a short fuse, brains out. lol Xhaka could've done so much better last weekend, not responding, for instance, but he lacks that class.

Long may it continue. The longer Xhaka stays at the club, the longer the club will suffer as a consequence.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

I love a good Spurs defeat as much as anybody but cant believe the amount of people who were happy for Liverpool to win....a draw would have been perfect for me.

Might just be because im probably classed as older now but I dont think many realise how unbearable the Scousers will be if they win the league, plus why would we want to add another team to the select few along with us that have actually won the premier league.

Which team should win the league this season in your opinion?

I think we can agree that pretty much all fans from the big clubs have a tendency of being unbearable, in particular due to a sense of entitlement and a global fanbase that has never experienced truly dour times in recent years or even decades.

I like Manchester City fans on the whole, but do I want the club to win the league yet again? Nope.

Any major London club or Manchester United? No, thanks.

Best team should win it, and at present, it's Liverpool.

4 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Which team should win the league this season in your opinion?

I think we can agree that pretty much all fans from the big clubs have a tendency of being unbearable, in particular due to a sense of entitlement and a global fanbase that has never experienced truly dour times in recent years or even decades.

I like Manchester City fans on the whole, but do I want the club to win the league yet again? Nope.

Any major London club or Manchester United? No, thanks.

Best team should win it, and at present, it's Liverpool.

If it can't be us again then Manchester City every single day of the week.

They play sensational football, plus they don't have unbearable characters like Klopp, Robertson, Mane, Henderson in their ranks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

If it can't be us again then Manchester City every single day of the week.

They play sensational football, plus they don't have unbearable characters like Klopp, Robertson, Mane, Henderson in their ranks.

Still stings when they score against us. lol

The case with Mahrez maybe makes it a bit more personal... But I suppose we're now truly over him as a fanbase.

Agree that Manchester City are probably the most likable club out of the Big Six. Guardiola's task is maintaining team spirit and focus, and I suppose he's very good at handling the situation, never giving any indication that a particular players has earned a starting spot forever.

Hence you won't find that many an ego in that Manchester City squad.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

It's not about "wanting" Liverpool to win the league or another PL Champion.

It was about Leicester City getting Champions League football and the best way for that to happen is to keep as much distance between Tottenham and ourselves as possible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

Maybe he could come to his senses and give the captaincy to somebody else?

Have there been any death threats after the incidents in early 2018?

How often was his wife abused in the end? I can find one incident in early 2019, but apart from that?

Why take Social Media so seriously? Half of Arsenal's fanbase consists of trolls, anyway.

Also, keep in mind that Xhaka himself is no angel: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/01/24/granit-xhaka-arsenal-accused-racial-abuse-interviewed-police/

Then there was the Albanian Eagle celebration whilst on international duty with team Switzerland.

Xhaka is a bit like marmite, either you like him or you don't.

He's a bit of a purposefully controversial character himself, likes to wind up fans, has an ego, is big-mouthed and rather one-dimensional on the pitch and not the smartest of guys. He can be a genius from long distance (when given space and time), but that's about it. He isn't fast and he's not particularly skillful.

I personally don't like his attitude and persona, he is more about words than performance, he isn't as good as he thinks he is.

He's never been the fastest of players, but in the Premier League, this flaw is fatal. He's been caught out of position so often already, hardly ever tracks back.

Add to that previous disciplinary issues with club and country, temper flares easily with this one.

Overall, I think him and Arsenal fans deserve each other - both utterly entitled and with a short fuse, brains out. lol Xhaka could've done so much better last weekend, not responding, for instance, but he lacks that class.

Long may it continue. The longer Xhaka stays at the club, the longer the club will suffer as a consequence.

Him being given the captaincy really highlights the problem with Arsenal. No leadership. He should never have been given it. He's apparently quite popular in the dressing room so Emery should just have given it to his preferred choice instead of putting it to a squad vote. You can see the lack of leadership with the Ozil situation - no one has any idea why he isn't playing and they gave him a 350,000 a week contract and let Ramsey leave.

I don't have the time to go through the internet looking for all the abuse, but as you've found it's happend in the past, and I'm sure there are things that don't make the press. He seems like a bit of an idiot and doesn't help himself (though I do understand why Albanian-Kosovan refugees playing for Switzerland did the eagle celebration against Serbia; especially Xhaka, as his father was a political prisoner for 3 years and some of the crowd were celebrating people from the war).

It would have been better to ignore it yesterday. He looked to me a bit like someone who finally snapped after a couple of years of it - there's only so many times you can show 'class', it's not the first time he's been booed. It's probably going to affect your mental health long-term. The lack of leadership strikes again as he should have been taken out of the team a while ago. He isn't good enough and he's become the scapegoat. 

I don't really care about Xhaka; I suppose it's entitled fans and hypocrisy that annoy me - and Arsenal fans are some of the worst for this. I don't really like it when a player is scapegoated. More than anything I find the hypocrisy of fans who get upset and offended after a player they've scapegoated for so long finally reacts the most annoying thing.

Edited by Guesty
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Begging that Emery makes it until we play them.

Emery is an excellent manager and really shouldn't have taken the job. The ownership and running of the club are a joke now.(see Man U)

Another moneymaking business opportunity to be exploited by the wealthy.