Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

The arsenal fans should be apologising to Xhaka not the other way around. 

At least he puts a shift in. He can't help being not good enough or getting picked. All he can do is try his best and I do believe he does. 

Abusing a guy for that is shameful. 

Meanwhile they all treat Ozil like a hero when he's a lazy, cowardly, inconsistent, spoilt little wuss with all the fighting spirit of a blancmange and they wonder why they haven't won anything in years. 

Loving Ozil for those reasons and hating Xhaka for those reasons is so Arsenal.

Arsenal fans love overrated YouTube players with shit haircuts and constant Instagram posts of non substance. They would never warm to a James Milner type in a million years.

• Like 1

Ozil has at least performed for Arsenal. Xhaka is piss poor and has been since he joined. Arsenal fans also booed Eboue to tears so they have form for this. 

And the one abusing his wife is a minority just like it's a minority of City fans abusing Mrs Vardy on social media.

Probably for the unpopular opinions thread but....

I find this stuff so weird these days that you can seemingly do anything now and just blame the abuse you are getting on social media for why you are doing it. Anonymous twats say things on the Internet - they always will.

He should have apologised for his behaviour and moved on, blaming it on a few virgins on Instragram looking for a reaction is so 2019 - you are the captain of a football club, take some responsibility for yourself.

Same with politicians, I'm not standing as people are cruel to me on Twitter, Thatcher gave a speech to a conference four hours after the IRA murdered some of her friends and tried to blow her up to show them they couldn't win and she wasn't scared of them.

Soft as shit the lot of them, show some backbone, if social media posts upset you to the point you can't control yourself you probably don't have the mental fortitude to be a captain anyway.

Edited by MattP

11 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

tbf all clubs seem to have a fringe group of fans who will say the most edgy stuff they can because they cant get a shag. 

Surely that can't be the reason? I haven't even contemplated saying things like that...

I was at an Arsenal Champions League game about ten years ago and I couldn’t believe the level of collective abuse that Theo Walcott was getting throughout from the Arsenal ‘fans’. Never heard anything like it before or since.

I know exactly where Xhaka is coming from. Arsenal’s fans are like those of any ‘big’ club. Horribly entitled.

2 hours ago, MattP said:

I find this stuff so weird these days that you can seemingly do anything now and just blame the abuse you are getting on social media for why you are doing it. Anonymous twats say things on the Internet - they always will.

He should have apologised for his behaviour and moved on, blaming it on a few virgins on Instragram looking for a reaction is so 2019 - you are the captain of a football club, take some responsibility for yourself.

Same with politicians, I'm not standing as people are cruel to me on Twitter, Thatcher gave a speech to a conference four hours after the IRA murdered some of her friends and tried to blow her up to show them they couldn't win and she wasn't scared of them.

Soft as shit the lot of them, show some backbone, if social media posts upset you to the point you can't control yourself you probably don't have the mental fortitude to be a captain anyway.

Can't really compare with Thatcher's period. There weren't the vile social media threats that there are now. I think you're underplaying the severity of the comments that MPs have been getting recently. The same seems to be true of the abuse some footballers are getting now.

3 minutes ago, deep blue said:

Can't really compare with Thatcher's period. There weren't the vile social media threats that there are now. I think you're underplaying the severity of the comments that MPs have been getting recently.

Fair enough.

I suppose hearing a bomb go off down the corridor that was intended to blow you up is bad, but obviously not as upsetting as someone calling you a name on Twitter. 

13 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Can't believe he hasn't apologised to be honest.

You don't tell our own fans to **** off. It's not like it's any sort of majority is talking about his wife etc and I appreciate that that has wound him up.

He can't carry on as Arsenal captain IMO.

He's got nothing to apologise for really.  Respect is a two way street and Arsenal fans have form for being completely horrible to their own players.  If anyone should apologise it should be the club for not supporting him at what is clearly a difficult time for him and his family.  

The real issue here is the Arsenal fans sense of entitlement that they should be as good as Man City or Liverpool and when things don't go their way turn on their players and manager in an extreme way. Look at all the scapegoats they've had over the years more than most other clubs.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

sean dyche moaning about the fact "high profile managers" have told him to stop fu cking moaning so much. what a morning. 

But he's right about the subject matter he's moaning about, the mere fact a player goes down because he 'felt' a touch is ruining the game and if true about top managers advising him to not be vocal then they are as much to blame.

3 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

He's got nothing to apologise for really.  Respect is a two way street and Arsenal fans have form for being completely horrible to their own players.  If anyone should apologise it should be the club for not supporting him at what is clearly a difficult time for him and his family.  

The real issue here is the Arsenal fans sense of entitlement that they should be as good as Man City or Liverpool and when things don't go their way turn on their players and manager in an extreme way. Look at all the scapegoats they've had over the years more than most other clubs.  

Agreed, Xhaka may be part of the problem but he's not to blame to where Arsenal find themselves as a club, if the fans really want to direct their ire at someone they should do it more forcefully at those that run the club or sign the players.  They've needed a dominating physical centre back who can actually defend and a powerful midfield destroyer for about a decade and have done nothing to address that.  Until they do they'll always have a soft centre and bottle it and achieve nothing.

4 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

But he's right about the subject matter he's moaning about, the mere fact a player goes down because he 'felt' a touch is ruining the game and if true about top managers advising him to not be vocal then they are as much to blame.

Maybe he should start with his own squad first :dunno:

**** apologising. 

if you want your club's footballers to give 100% then get behind them and call out any dickhead fans within your base who think it's OK to treat someone like that just because they didn't kick a piece of round leather in the way they wanted.

unacceptable behaviour irrespective of profession

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Maybe he should start with his own squad first :dunno:

Agreed Arty, but doesn't matter who's moaning about it subject matter still stands and if managers are trying to dampen voices again not good for the game.

26 minutes ago, Wortho said:

Was is it with Arsenal and their captains imploding. Gallas, Van Persie, Koscielny and now Xhaka. They are a joke of a club.

They select some absolutely shockers don't they? People who clearly don't give a shit. 

Total contrast to the previous decades as well when it was Adams, Vieira, Petit and Henry.

6 hours ago, MattP said:

The thing is they may be trolls and empty words, but working with children who have cancer, sitting in a room where you are part of a team telling someone their child has cancer, somebody wishing that on your child is enough to make anyone’s blood boil, be it parent or professional. Wishing utter devastation on someone’s family is enough to distress anyone. A few arseholes in a stand being told to **** off after shouting it at someone pails into insignificance. When you are getting that on a daily basis, it will push you over the edge. Add the security issues Arsenal had involving Kolasinac and Ozil at the start of the season, I think it’s understandable that the guy might feel under a real threat 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

I've never heard of xG...I still don't know what it is, is it some social media thang?

No it's used by probably every top flight club in major leagues to some degree or other. It works out (roughly in the case of publicly accessible models) the chance of scoring from a certain position, whether it's a shot, a header, the number of defenders in the way of the ball, keeper's position etc. Football is a low scoring game  (when we're not playing Southampton) so results aren't always that representative. 

I'm a fan of xG but it's overused with small sample sizes. Football also has a lot of variance so last season when Man Utd were on that run under Solskjaer xG models basically said there massively over-performing and would revert to the mean because they were scoring from relatively few, weak chances. "The only stat that matters is goals" diatribe is wrong because you can get battered and win - doesn't bode well for the future. In our case we're being more clinical than what's likely, which is great but does show that it's not going to carry on forever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

The thing is they may be trolls and empty words, but working with children who have cancer, sitting in a room where you are part of a team telling someone their child has cancer, somebody wishing that on your child is enough to make anyone’s blood boil, be it parent or professional. Wishing utter devastation on someone’s family is enough to distress anyone. A few arseholes in a stand being told to **** off after shouting it at someone pails into insignificance. When you are getting that on a daily basis, it will push you over the edge. Add the security issues Arsenal had involving Kolasinac and Ozil at the start of the season, I think it’s understandable that the guy might feel under a real threat 

I think Matt is saying that those people who are going and abusing his family like that are absolute scumbags and absolutely should **** off. But there are 60k fans that go to Arsenal games and pay good money to do so. If they think someone is having a shit game they're entitled to tell them. The club captain telling the supporters to **** off isn't a good look and it wouldn't have been difficult for him to apologise to the match going fans that don't send messages wishing cancer etc. Hes essentially painted the entire Arsenal fan base with the same brush which isn't fair 

Edited by AKCJ