Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

37 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Amongst a squad of 25 players they’ve made 2 (arguably 3) expensive signings. It doesn’t mean that the bulk of their transfer business is done by getting the chequebook out all of the time. Nothing is so black and white, of course there are exceptions to things but it doesn’t mean a wider point is untrue 

They have at least 5 players in their squad that they paid more than the 40 million we paid for Tielemans.

They have spent close to half a billion quid assembling their squad. They have spent it differently to other big teams and haven’t gone for over the top superstars, but to pretend they haven’t bought their position at the top is ignoring the amount they have spent.

3 hours ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Ridiculous isn’t it. They’ve been at every match and 22 games in they decide they can use them. It’s like someone’s just found the remotes to switch them on!!

The son of a bloke I work with, is working with VAR and his job is to sit by the pitch side monitor and "manage" it. He gets to a game a week, quite a few at Molineux.

Apparently, at the start of the season, the Premier League said that they want the monitors to be used a maximum of 4 times in the season. That's 4 times across the 380 matches. 

1 minute ago, GlenParvaFox said:

The son of a bloke I work with, is working with VAR and his job is to sit by the pitch side monitor and "manage" it. He gets to a game a week, quite a few at Molineux.

Apparently, at the start of the season, the Premier League said that they want the monitors to be used a maximum of 4 times in the season. That's 4 times across the 380 matches. 

That’s crazy isn’t it. How can they limit it to 4 times a season when you don’t know what’s going to happen in a match! Sounds like a great job though!

29 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I take it the ECA have voted on this? 
From that I’d say any club voting in favour of this wave their right to complain about fixture congestion.

The top clubs/managers appear to moan constantly, then agree to 4 extra unnecessary games and travel.

4 extra games for loyal supporters to find the funds to watch their team. 4 extra games that will adversely affect national cup competitions and smaller teams.

Football should be about everyone not the few elite clubs making sure they can stay their. A sad day for football in my opinion if this is passed.

Appears it’s UEFA’s way of appeasing ECA’s super league ideas 

10 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

They have at least 5 players in their squad that they paid more than the 40 million we paid for Tielemans.

They have spent close to half a billion quid assembling their squad. They have spent it differently to other big teams and haven’t gone for over the top superstars, but to pretend they haven’t bought their position at the top is ignoring the amount they have spent.

Tielemans was £32m.

Yeah they’ve spent a lot. That’s football, almost every good side in history has spent significant amounts of money. Ferguson was never really accused of spending their way to titles but it was often the case.

Over the last 5 years Liverpool haven’t spent like either Manchester club or Chelsea and now they’re the best team in the world. Most of their players have been at the club for years and the turnover of players is really low.

They definitely hit the jackpot with Coutinho but they’re incredibly shrewd. Admittedly, it was before the big transfer boom by a few weeks but we paid a similar amount for Perez as what they did for Salah. 

IIRC they’ve got the 4th biggest wage budget too, I resent the fact I’m defending them but they’ve built the best team in the world relatively modestly 

36 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

That’s crazy isn’t it. How can they limit it to 4 times a season when you don’t know what’s going to happen in a match! Sounds like a great job though!

Exactly. When he told me that, I was expecting we'd see one or two token visits to the monitors towards the end of season but maybe that will change.

Yes, a great job which I'd fancy, but I lack the Sports Science degree! Fair play to him.

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

Aside from Van Dijk and Alisson Liverpool haven’t spent that much on their squad. Even then, the signing of those two took them from top 4 regulars to the best side in the world.

Mane and Salah costed similar amounts to what we paid for Tielemans. Firmino, if I remember correctly was a similar price to Ndidi. Milner was on a free, Henderson has been there for close to a decade and Wijnaldum was bought for a relatively modest fee from relegated Newcastle. Keita was the only expensive midfielder which is fair enough when the rest of them have been there a while.

Robertson, Gomez, Matip and TAA were either free or were peanuts. I despise Liverpool but they’re the most intelligent club in world football and they’re one of the most data driven. Michael Edwards is arguably the best in the business at transfer dealings 

They paid £23 for Wijnaldum in 2016. In today’s currency that’s probably around £50m. Keita was around £60m and Fabinho I think cost circa £40m. 

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

Mane and Salah costed similar amounts to what we paid for Tielemans. Firmino, if I remember correctly was a similar price to Ndidi.

All 3 cost between £29-38 million, which was still a decent chunk of money 3/4 years ago. Would always take caution in comparing fees paid now and several years ago. 

No doubt they bought well, but many were gambles that paid off for medium fees rather than £60m plus that United were risking 

• Like 1

Liverpool, a massive financial power house, despite not winning a league for donkey’s years, were still able to acquire players beyond our means, even now.
Liverpool’s title, should they win it, cannot be compared to ours, not even close, there are far more intangibles in play here.

(Not that I am saying anyone was claiming that)

Edited by Dahnsouff

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

I've said it before but I just hope the media portray Liverpool's title win in the same way as they did ours, where they only won it because no-one else turned up.

They won't, unfortunately.

I seriously hope they don’t go unbeaten all season!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

I've said it before but I just hope the media portray Liverpool's title win in the same way as they did ours, where they only won it because no-one else turned up.

To be fair, would it really matter if anybody else turned up this year?

I'm hating this Liverpool season as much as the next person, but we won the league having won 23 games and Liverpool have already won 20. They're rightly going to storm the league this year and would beat anybody regardless of if they 'turned up'

Our win will always be a greater achievement though lol

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, 49er said:

They paid £23 for Wijnaldum in 2016. In today’s currency that’s probably around £50m. Keita was around £60m and Fabinho I think cost circa £40m. 

Transfer fees haven't doubled, yeah they're inflated but more so with the very upper echelons of transfers like Coutinho/MbappeNeymar. Tbf I did forget about Fabinho but Chelsea payed the same for Bakayoko and nobody really bats an eyelid at that

12 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

To be fair, would it really matter if anybody else turned up this year?

I'm hating this Liverpool season as much as the next person, but we won the league having won 23 games and Liverpool have already won 20. They're rightly going to storm the league this year and would beat anybody regardless of if they 'turned up'

Our win will always be a greater achievement though lol

Probably not but the fact remains and i'll still cast my net fishing towards plastics by saying 'yeah but no one challenged you'.

Let's be honest ourselves, take nothing away from what we've done this season and without doubt we'd still be having a good season but the fact no one else has turned up/challenged is largely a reason why we've been 2nd for so long and are now 3rd, but likewise whilst all the stats show Liverpool as something amazing they've been average on many of those occasions and their lead at the top and stats are flattered by the point no-one else has turned up or challenged them.

Edited by Matt

18 hours ago, Matt said:

Man City, albeit lost 5, smash sides all over the place. 8 goals against Watford. 6 at Villa Park last week. They battered us when we were 2nd.

I wouldn't say they haven't turned up.

Liverpool are literally one of the best sides in the World, hence Champions League winners. If they win the league they do it because they deserve it.

Nobody can get near Liverpool or Man City because they are both that good.

Nobody in the media said that when we won it "nobody else turned up". Everyone, besides Spurs fans, were genuinely pleased for us. I see this all the time on here and how we're somehow looked down upon by the media yet nobody can point me in the way of an article on the web that suggests this.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1