Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

45 minutes ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

No they ain't. Everton have multiple trophies massive history full 40,000 crowds, huge following. Bournemouth have been bottom division forever and struck gold for 5 mins with a incredible young manager. They are incomparable. 

What part of "today's football" did you misunderstand?

In "today's football" income is everything as it allows you to spend on transfer fees and wages. Everton having 40k crowds and a trophy cabinet that was filled in the 1800's & 1900's is largely irrelevant. Both teams fish in similar waters for players. 

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, lildave3 said:

Ake or Wilson I suppose, the same as it is 2 years and 130 million pound later 🤷🏼‍♂️

As for the part of progressing despite selling your best players, Brentford are the prime example of why you can do exactly that. 

And you could make a case for ourselves to an extent too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Watford 'rejected' new Barcelona boss Quique Setien before Nigel Pearson appointment 

Watford reportedly chose not to appoint new Barcelona boss Quique Setien before naming Nigel Pearson as their manager last month.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/watford-rejected-new-barcelona-boss-21282492

lol amazing

10 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Watford 'rejected' new Barcelona boss Quique Setien before Nigel Pearson appointment 

Watford reportedly chose not to appoint new Barcelona boss Quique Setien before naming Nigel Pearson as their manager last month.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/watford-rejected-new-barcelona-boss-21282492

The Belgian lads will be amazed that their failed ex manager was selected ahead of the new Barcelona manager by Watford. lol

@Lizhang @Bonanza @Pelotas

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Gerard said:

The Belgian lads will be amazed that their failed ex manager was selected ahead of the new Barcelona manager by Watford. lol

@Lizhang @Bonanza @Pelotas

I wonder what went wrong there? Perhaps just missing the Shakey component, maybe language issues, or perhaps just the bizarre nature of the Belgian League.

1 hour ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I wonder what went wrong there? Perhaps just missing the Shakey component, maybe language issues, or perhaps just the bizarre nature of the Belgian League.

He didnt do too well at Derby, either. It's clear he works best when he's got Shakey alongside him, but I think he's also one of those managers who needs the players to really buy into not just his philosophy but him as well. At Derby/Leuven the fans/players never really warmed to him at all, and it showed.

At Watford he's got Deeney who I think is a perfect match for him in terms of establishing that link between management and playing staff. Deeney is exactly the sort of hard-working grafter with a slight edge to him that Pearson has worked so well with before (Vardy, for instance), and they're obviously well-acquainted from time as Championship rivals. It's given the players a kick up the backside, won him instant buy-in and the early performances (results are a bonus) have got the fans on his side. 

Pearson has consistently struggled in the past when his sides are hit with a rough patch of form and the tide turns against him, so it'll be interesting to see how he handles it when that inevitably happens at Watford. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Liverpool Man United overkill has begun. A special ref watch on decisions in the last billion years from previous ‘battles’ that bears absolutely no relevance to the game at the weekend. Quite pathetic really 

RED SUNDAY RED RIVALRY SIMPLY RED 

• Haha 2

Liverpool Man United overkill has begun. A special ref watch on decisions in the last billion years from previous ‘battles’ that bears absolutely no relevance to the game at the weekend. Quite pathetic really 

Sky Sports News has always been terrible but it is reaching new levels recently.

Anthony Costa from Blue on earlier to discuss potential Tottenham transfers, Regular segments for the bellend brothers Kaveh Solhekol & Dharmesh Sheth and the pure existence of Jim White!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xen said:

He didnt do too well at Derby, either. It's clear he works best when he's got Shakey alongside him, but I think he's also one of those managers who needs the players to really buy into not just his philosophy but him as well. At Derby/Leuven the fans/players never really warmed to him at all, and it showed.

At Watford he's got Deeney who I think is a perfect match for him in terms of establishing that link between management and playing staff. Deeney is exactly the sort of hard-working grafter with a slight edge to him that Pearson has worked so well with before (Vardy, for instance), and they're obviously well-acquainted from time as Championship rivals. It's given the players a kick up the backside, won him instant buy-in and the early performances (results are a bonus) have got the fans on his side. 

Pearson has consistently struggled in the past when his sides are hit with a rough patch of form and the tide turns against him, so it'll be interesting to see how he handles it when that inevitably happens at Watford. 

What like when we were rock bottom until about March and yet still finished 14th? 

Sky just kill derbies man. Liverpool/Manchester United, hatred, Scouses hate Mancs, two biggest clubs in the Country and Sky do all this bigging up. No wonder they end up disapointing games. Just be quiet and let the games go on.

Most entertaining top flight derby is usually Spurs v Arsenal anyway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xen said:

At Derby, the owner, Mel Morris was spying on training with a drone. Pearson fell out with him over that.

4 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

At Derby, the owner, Mel Morris was spying on training with a drone. Pearson fell out with him over that.

Is that true?? I thought Frank was there then? (Old man memory issues could be prevailing though)

Edit: Or perhaps I should read what was posted twice before responding :blush:

Edited by Dahnsouff

1 minute ago, Footballwipe said:

The incessant need to hype games that don't need to be hyped. The constant desperation to look for new angles because they hype exactly the same games each season. It's exactly why I tune in just as the teams come out and tune out as soon as the game is done. Easiest way to interact with football on TV these days.

You don`t need to hype these games to match going fans, but those fans are not the target market and those fans do not pay the majority of the money. :dunno:

4 hours ago, Xen said:

Agree with your First part,and Great Observation + points made.

The last Paragraph seems to be a gratious necessary  swipe at Pearson...We must note...majority of managers even Good known Top managers past & present

around Europe,have these Phases or long  periods where their then Club struggles,some Stay around the lower echelons,but relatively still have successful careers. Only few managers,like only a few clubs have traditionally   long periods at the highest level. Even then one can question how one rates highest level.o

Like players,managers careers can only and should only be measured and rated after their careers have ended.

Though the  'so fars' are also interesting  discussion material. Managers having a CV like Pearson,can be Happy with their careers,Regrets or good decisive actions and low periods are parts of all our career paths. Keeping to football,Pearson IMO has done well,the Derby situation can be seen,that Any failings lay more

With Derby & chairman. Leuven,just didnt Click for him...Lets see what he can do for Watford,he saves Off relegation,then gets them back to a decent Top 11-7th

Next season,with no struggles...Hes done well,and starts anew Mapping out the further Stage and path in his career...

19 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Do you remember GRAND SLAM SUNDAY back in the day when amazingly, by some random fixture generation, Liverpool/Man Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal all got drawn to play each other in one combination or another in the same round of fixtures.

One week's full build up, hype. 1-0, 0-0.

The incessant need to hype games that don't need to be hyped. The constant desperation to look for new angles because they hype exactly the same games each season. It's exactly why I tune in just as the teams come out and tune out as soon as the game is done. Easiest way to interact with football on TV these days.

Its like those DAZ & Persil,whiter than white adverts,or Snickers or Mars bars,10% more,every year...( After my 65 yrs)they should be 3 Foot long by now..!!

Though unlike some I enjoy,Listening to all pundits/ex-players , but only just before the game & a Short Post Match Cross talk. The Debate,falls Short because its often too narrow ,doesnt often expand deeper into the PL or even the Championship.

This insistent,consistent pushing of the so called Top games,is a Waste of Money & time,it over Hypes the hype. Then for  Sky ,it becomes or seems contradictory...because they Dont follow or broadcast the seasons larger picture or further consequences,  FA-cup,CL- games etc.

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

On 14/01/2020 at 22:15, Gerard said:

In "today's football" income is everything as it allows you to spend on transfer fees and wages. Everton having 40k crowds and a trophy cabinet that was filled in the 1800's & 1900's is largely irrelevant. Both teams fish in similar waters for players. 

Still, no, you're totally wrong. Everton are light years ahead of Bournemouth in every detail simple as that. The players they sign the market they compete in, their ambitions and aspirations are in a totally different hemisphere. Just because they buy a few 20m players that doesnt mean they are a similar size club at all. Bournemouth couldn't have signed the calibre of player Everton have at all. Bournemouth remind me of Swansea and Wigan. Great club play great football buy some good players when they were promoted stay up a few years but eventually get relegated. Maybe they will stay up, but my point is there are still leagues within the league. Just because every team gets mega bucks from Sky and the prem doesn't mean they on a par with each other. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Its like those DAZ & Persil,whiter than white adverts,or Snickers or Mary bars,10% more,every year...( After my 65 yrs)they should be 3 Foot long by now..!!

Though unlike some I enjoy,Listening to all pundits/ex-players , but only just before the game & a Short Post Match Cross talk. The Debate,falls Short because its often too narrow ,doesnt often expand deeper into the PL or even the Championship.

This insistent,consistent pushing of the so called Top games,is a Waste of Money & time,it over Hypes the hype. Then for  Sky ,it becomes or seems contradictory...because they Dont follow or broadcast the seasons larger picture or further consequences,  FA-cup,CL- games etc.

I love the occasional Mary bar. But it always makes me quite contrary.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, pds said:

Sky Sports News has always been terrible but it is reaching new levels recently.

Anthony Costa from Blue on earlier to discuss potential Tottenham transfers, Regular segments for the bellend brothers Kaveh Solhekol & Dharmesh Sheth and the pure existence of Jim White!

Don't watch it then. Its been cringe for years. To be fair one channel dedicated to news is always going be naff, it repeats every few mins and it's just filler. 

On 14/01/2020 at 22:15, Gerard said:

No it doesn't. A player isn't going to choose Bournemouth over Everton. There's only about 6 bigger clubs than Everton in the Country where as Bournemouth are one of the smallest sides not only in the division but in the top two divisions. It's like saying when Burton were in the Championship a player would go there over Leeds. It aint gonna happen.

Bigger ground, looking to move to a newer ground, and better facilities in every way. Training ground as an example.

Plus 1800s and 1900s? Everton won at least 7 tophies in the 80's, pretty sure a majority of their fanbase were alive then.

Edited by Fox92

15 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Its like those DAZ & Persil,whiter than white adverts,or Snickers or Mary bars,10% more,every year...( After my 65 yrs)they should be 3 Foot long by now..!!

Personally I do like the way they do it on BT with Jake Humphreys. Obviously it depends on who the 'pundits' are as some are (much) better than others. I find Sky coverage to be both hyperbolic and stale - as a previous poster mentioned the things I detest may be necessary for marketing to a global non match attending audiance, but not for me thanks 

Edited by Jacnah

On 14/01/2020 at 20:09, The Bear said:

Yep their finances have just come out at their AGM and there's some horrible reading for Everton fans. Basically borrowing money from banks and shareholders to pay off previous loans, and even though the owner has injected £100m their net loss is still £122m. £160m wage bill which is 85% of turnover. 

:nigel:

Niasse, Tosun and Kean cost about £70m between them, one is out on loan, another has played six league games in the last season and a half, and the other one hasn't scored a single goal.

Superb stuff.... 

It's surely the most abject string of signings in Europe. Their last five years have been nothing short of embarrassing.