Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

23 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Just heard that a former Villa and Cardiff midfielder Peter Whittingham died after suffering an accident at home. So tragic only 35 years old! used to live in my neighbourhood in Nuneaton round the corner from me. Used to see quite often when he was playing for Villa. I think his parents still live around here to. Must be awful for them.. A quiet footballer you never heard anything bad about. RIP

So tragic, a brilliant Championship football and a master at set pieces. RIP

Aooarently PL want to get the season finished by 30th June which means, given Man City have so many games to play for example, they'd have to start games on April 15th. Also factoring in an international break (the games that were meant to be played this month). I think still having an international break is utterly ridiculous given some countries may not be able to host or travel. Sack that off and give some time back to the clubs to get games done.

9 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Aooarently PL want to get the season finished by 30th June which means, given Man City have so many games to play for example, they'd have to start games on April 15th. Also factoring in an international break (the games that were meant to be played this month). I think still having an international break is utterly ridiculous given some countries may not be able to host or travel. Sack that off and give some time back to the clubs to get games done.

Aren't they friendlies too? The UEFA ones, anyway. Utterly pointless, bin them off.

1 minute ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Aren't they friendlies too? The UEFA ones, anyway. Utterly pointless, bin them off.

Yep, exactly. When we're already pushed for time what's the point in squeezing them in?

39 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Can’t see anyway football will start that soon.

• Like 1

Guest Harrydc

I cant see any sporting events for a while. For example, the premier league darts has been postponed until October, and I think that's pushing it. 

1 hour ago, Leicesterpool said:

Just heard that a former Villa and Cardiff midfielder Peter Whittingham died after suffering an accident at home. So tragic only 35 years old! used to live in my neighbourhood in Nuneaton round the corner from me. Used to see quite often when he was playing for Villa. I think his parents still live around here to. Must be awful for them.. A quiet footballer you never heard anything bad about. RIP

Just watching him know on Sky sports v Blackpool in 2010 playoff final

Ok so this is my take on what might happen (or at last best case scenario) based on yesterday’s announcements;

The FA Cup will be scrapped completely this season.

The Champions League/Europa League will change format to a single game knockout tournament in early July 

The domestic leagues will resume (behind closed doors if need be) at the end of May allowing 5 weeks to play twice a week in order to finish. Play offs in the EFL will be scrapped and the top 3 will go up.

Next season the season will start in early/mid September and finish just before the rescheduled Euro’s. 

One way or another I do believe this season will finish even if it’s at clubs training grounds with every attendee tested and cleared.

On a side note, I hope everyone on here is staying safe and they, their friends and family are all ok. 

51 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

But then players can still pass it to players :dunno:

As I said a while back, I expect clubs to be told to isolate the squad and a chunk of essential staff for two weeks to ensure that they can’t have it (or be tested ahead of the games and isolate for the next 36 hours whilst results come back). The sooner they want to play the games the more likely option 1 - if they are waiting till end May period then option 2 becomes the one. 
I would think that they want to play the games ASAP mid April onwards to give the clubs as much security and notice going forward ......-and avoid the player contract issue beg June 

1 hour ago, weller54 said:

That's awful news about Peter Whittingham!

If I remember, we were linked with signing him once weren't we?

Very sad news. I think we were linked with him for about two years solid. 

14 minutes ago, Bert said:

The last resort is complete the season behind closed doors. 

They should just do that anyway but televise the matches.

All the players should be tested before games and when or if al clear the games can go ahead. 

We will end up smashing the season 3 games per week.

13 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

All the players should be tested before games and when or if al clear the games can go ahead. 

How quickly can reliable test results be produced?

Edited by norwichfox

14 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

Would be interesting to see what the viewing figures would be like. Personally my interest in watching a closed door match would be barely above zero. 

53 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Would be interesting to see what the viewing figures would be like. Personally my interest in watching a closed door match would be barely above zero. 

You say that, by the time May comes along I’d bet most sport fans would watch a live game of chess on TV!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Would there be a way of getting X amount of fans in rather than a fully behind closed doors? 

For instance you set seating far enough apart for 3 or 4 thousand fans, open the gate at 5 to kick off, no sitting within 2 meters of each other. Split the amount of season ticket holders by the amount of home games and you get your numbers and allocate seats with rules etc. At least all season ticket holders get to see one more game and there would be some people for the teams to play for. The atmosphere would be flat though as you'd have no groups of people starting chants and following them on. 

Maybe too much work or risk but there should be some kind of way of getting some fans in.