Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

If Football forums could get together...Each Club forum using a simple poll.Then that forwarded to the FAs...

Then they would know the thought of the fans and if they want to see the season finished....No matter Now Late or with a Time constriction....

Ie... Any Time until september..2020.    Begin new season at the end of October.

Until December..then.Begin in January.... Condensed 20/21 season...(19 games) Knock out CL- games..!! Only FA cup games. No-replays!!!

19 hours ago, foxinsox said:

Finish this season and cups this autumn.

Start the 20/21 season on 1 Jan 2021, finishing late autumn 2021.

A short break then the Qatar winter World Cup. 

A shortened 19 game half season, then back to usual cycle for 22/23 season.

If everyone in Europe agreed, the CL and EL could fit too.

I like this idea but would also like the Qatar World Cup to be completely scrapped.

We need to concentrate on the domestic game and a high level champions league.

As for Euros and World Cups ….. nah. 

3 hours ago, demon_dog said:

Makes sense to me to complete the league season. Agree with playing games from first week in May and to play 2 games per week behind closed doors. Let the tv companies show all of the games, this fulfills contractual obligations. Forget about the cups, let the euros be put back 12 months. 

Don't think we'll be playing again as early as May ….. although I did buy my Arsenal-Leicester ticket this morning :scarf::beer:

18 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Cannot express how excited I am at the prospect of league games in June/July. Would be incredible. 

9 minutes ago, rachhere said:

The atmosphere at the first home game back will be amazing. 

You do realise that the first home game back is likely to be next season ?? Whenever that is 

37 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Cannot express how excited I am at the prospect of league games in June/July. Would be incredible. 

They should make it the standard across Europe, tbh. It doesn't typically get too hot so as to be unsafe, fewer games will be called off because of bad weather, more enjoyable for the fans etc. etc. 

With Qatar 2022 being a winter tournament now would be the perfect time to adjust the calendar to make that the norm going forward with minimal (further) disruption to the leagues.

Struggling to see any major downsides tbh. 

OK, I've been giving this some serious thought, the league could all be sorted in one weekend. How? One glorified two day long penalty shootout

Get all players tested and clear of the virus, then get them all down to Wembley for one weekend. Teams shootout against each other in the corresponding remaining fixtures. 5 penos each. 3 points for a win, 1 point if it's tied. Sorted.

Could you imagine the drama. It would be the greatest weekend of tv EVER!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

OK, I've been giving this some serious thought, the league could all be sorted in one weekend. How? One glorified two day long penalty shootout

Get all players tested and clear of the virus, then get them all down to Wembley for one weekend. Teams shootout against each other in the corresponding remaining fixtures. 5 penos each. 3 points for a win, 1 point if it's tied. Sorted.

Liverpool to get the VAR results every time?

11 minutes ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

Why use Wembley?

Hackney Marshes has enough pitches and all games could be concluded in a few hours

Edited by TonyN11

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Honestly i cant remember the last home game where it wasnt hammering it down! been soaked at lot this season! 

• Like 2

Some of us older posters will remember the Football League's centenery celiebrations in 1988 which culminated in a min tournament which had 16 teams playing at Wembley all over one weekend.

Disapointingly. Forest won it, but it shows what could be possible!

Qualifiers:
The following teams participated in the tournament:
Aston Villa, Blackburn Rovers, Crystal Palace, Everton, Leeds United, Liverpool, Luton Town, Manchester United, Newcastle United, Nottingham Forest, Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland, Tranmere Rovers, Wigan Athletic, Wimbledon, Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Saturday 16 April, 1988
The first day of competition consisted of the Opening rounds and Quarter Finals and were 40-minute matches.[4] Owing to the limited time, 5 of the 12 matches ended up drawn (4 goalless) and required a sudden-death penalty shootout.

Opening round
Tranmere Rovers 1 Wimbledon 0
Leeds United 0 Nottingham Forest 3
Luton Town 0 Manchester United 2
Aston Villa 0 Blackburn Rovers 0 (Aston Villa won on pens)
Everton 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 (Everton won on pens)
Crystal Palace 0 Sheffield Wednesday 0 (Sheffield Wednesday won on pens)
Wigan Athletic 0 Sunderland 0 (Wigan Athletic won on pens)
Liverpool 0 Newcastle United 0 (Newcastle United won on pens)

Quarter finals
Newcastle United 0 Tranmere Rovers 2
Nottingham Forest 0 Aston Villa 0 (Nottingham Forest won on penalties)
Everton 0 Manchester United 1
Sheffield Wednesday 1 Wigan Athletic 1 (Sheffield Wednesday won on pens)

Sunday 17 April, 1988
The Semi-finals and Final were played on the Sunday. Matches were 60 minutes long.

Semi-Finals
Tranmere Rovers 2 Nottingham Forest 2 (Nottingham Forest won on pens)
Sheffield Wednesday 2 Manchester United 1

Final

Nottingham Forest 0 Sheffield Wednesday 0 (Nottingham Forest won on pens)

3 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Absolutely. In a country where you get to go to matches without a coat for what, 10-12 games a season max (if that) to have matches (that mean something and aren't friendlies) in the actual summer will be amazing.

Hope no one on here is posting as 'Shinji Okazaki LCFC' on the BBC Football article' comments area.

Has posted quite a lot of controversial comments that had to be removed by thed page's moderation team..

• Haha 1

Just heard that a former Villa and Cardiff midfielder Peter Whittingham died after suffering an accident at home. So tragic only 35 years old! used to live in my neighbourhood in Nuneaton round the corner from me. Used to see quite often when he was playing for Villa. I think his parents still live around here to. Must be awful for them.. A quiet footballer you never heard anything bad about. RIP

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Just heard that a former Villa and Cardiff midfielder Peter Whittingham died after suffering an accident at home. So tragic only 35 years old! used to live in my neighbourhood in Nuneaton round the corner from me. Used to see quite often when he was playing for Villa. I think his parents still live around here to. Must be awful for them.. A quiet footballer you never heard anything bad about. RIP

Scored against us at home in first leg of the fateful play off semi finals against Cardiff. 

16 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Nothing official yet, hope it isn’t the case. Some reports saying in intensive care, but no official sources