Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

3 minutes ago, browniefox said:

Would there be a way of getting X amount of fans in rather than a fully behind closed doors? 

For instance you set seating far enough apart for 3 or 4 thousand fans, open the gate at 5 to kick off, no sitting within 2 meters of each other. Split the amount of season ticket holders by the amount of home games and you get your numbers and allocate seats with rules etc. At least all season ticket holders get to see one more game and there would be some people for the teams to play for. The atmosphere would be flat though as you'd have no groups of people starting chants and following them on. 

Maybe too much work or risk but there should be some kind of way of getting some fans in. 

More effort than its worth. Also would mean that the dates for fixtures would be less flexible as they'd have to consider the fans attending, so it may take longer to work through the rest of the season.

Keep it behind closed doors, get it over and done with as soon as its realistically possible and have all the matches broadcast - but not available in pubs. Similar to the Amazon streaming would be ideal, and you could potentially tie it in to clubs' websites so ST holders get it for free. However keeping it all online would alienate a lot of the older audience (who may have been in isolation long-term by that point and would relish the opportunity to watch live sport) so perhaps one game each day on free-to-air TV.

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Would be interesting to see what the viewing figures would be like. Personally my interest in watching a closed door match would be barely above zero. 

Would you prefer the league to be null and void?

That's how it will go if the league does not finish

Although it doesn't yet give details on how serious, Whittingham is in hospital.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51928263

I'd be more than happy for the remaining matches to be played behind closed doors to complete the season, and for them to be broadcast. Null and void isn't an option IMO, obviously for us finishing wtth the table as is would be acceptable but that has to many legal issues.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, browniefox said:

Would there be a way of getting X amount of fans in rather than a fully behind closed doors? 

For instance you set seating far enough apart for 3 or 4 thousand fans, open the gate at 5 to kick off, no sitting within 2 meters of each other. Split the amount of season ticket holders by the amount of home games and you get your numbers and allocate seats with rules etc. At least all season ticket holders get to see one more game and there would be some people for the teams to play for. The atmosphere would be flat though as you'd have no groups of people starting chants and following them on. 

Maybe too much work or risk but there should be some kind of way of getting some fans in. 

Sounds like Filbert St in the late 80s with the circa 8k crowds.:P

52 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Although it doesn't yet give details on how serious, Whittingham is in hospital.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51928263

I'd be more than happy for the remaining matches to be played behind closed doors to complete the season, and for them to be broadcast. Null and void isn't an option IMO, obviously for us finishing wtth the table as is would be acceptable but that has to many legal issues.

Nail on the head. Annulling the season would be making a complete mockery of the competition.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, deep blue said:

Nail on the head. Annulling the season would be making a complete mockery of the competition.

I agree that we should try and complete it. I’d rather disrupt or cancel elements of next season until we get back on track.

Whatever they decide it should be the same for everyone. If it’s cancelled it should be cancelled for everyone. The argument about giving Liverpool the title because they’re so far ahead is irrelevant. 

If Liverpool are given the title then we should be given Champions League and the teams in the bottom three should be relegated. The solution should be the same across the board! 

• Like 3

It absolutely needs to be completed and if behind closed doors is the most viable option then so be it. It’s more important that the current season is completed than a new one starts. 

Also when it all starts again the premier league clubs should consider curtailing the lucrative overseas tours and play a number of home friendlies v lower league/non league clubs to help them with their financial situations. 

• Like 2

Behind closed doors and a finished season is far better than null and void!!

Not ideal but the best solution. Something to look forward to and give people something to be excited about, as well as not tarnishing a season that's 80% done!

6 hours ago, Super_horns said:

That seems like a good idea but clubs will complain about having no advantage albeit be the same for all.

They’ll all be played at a neutral venue

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

They'll finish the season.

When and where, who knows.

But it'll get completed eventually.

I bet sky will be relieved when it does as they are rapidly running out of things to report on sky sports news. Chess and Speed walking have been the top news today although I did learn something this week that Leicester Riders have a very successful women’s team retaining a trophy they have won for the 3rd consecutive year  

7 hours ago, Super_horns said:

That seems like a good idea but clubs will complain about having no advantage albeit be the same for all.

But at least the season that started, gets completed. Under the same circumstances for everyone.

I'd actually take this season being completed, under whatever circumstances they agree on and having a shortened or regional competition next season. At least that way you start the next season/competition knowing the situation before you start.

And believe me that's a shift in my attitude, I was originally firmly in the, sport is nothing without spetators camp. But now the legal minefield voiding creates just doesn't see worth it.

• Like 1