Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
shailen

What should be aiming for next season?

I had a timely reminder on Facebook memories this morning from back in 2015 when I was expressing my amazement at us being ahead against Chelsea, in what became the Great Escape season. Now we are in the position where wins like that seem almost routine (although of course still very satisfying).

One of my issues with Puel was how low he seemed to be aiming. Of course you shouldn't set unrealistic aspirations that can paralyse you, but its important to give yourself high targets to work to, otherwise you stagnate or even regress. With that in mind I want to see us aiming for an end spot in the league that will guarantee European football, and for us to really be going for it in at least one of the cup competitions. Looking at the state that Chelsea, Arsenal and Man U are in I honestly think that's realistic. 

I liked Brendan's comment yesterday about bringing in quality rather than quantity... Not just building up the squad for the sake or it, and with every potential signing asking whether they are going to push us to that Top 6 goal. I also would like to see us offering even more opportunities for u23 players to integrate into the first team to boost our overall squad that way. 

23 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Realistic aim for next season is to break the 60 points barrier, which will be a decent improvement on this year. I am quietly confident if we get Tielemans and our transfer in's and outs go to plan then that could put us in with a decent shot at being amongst the top 6 but to expect or be disappointed if we didn't is pretty moronic.

I think we'll have a right good go in the cups under Rodgers as he wants to win things in England, the squad is going to be very competitive.

I was going to say something similar, we should be looking at 60+ points as a gauge of progress. There is no point putting a league position on it we can’t control how other teams do. Someone is going to end the season on 90+ points and fail to win the league. 60+ could get you 5th or 10th.

What I want and what pleases me so much about yesterday is to see us aiming to win every game, we changed how we set up against Arsenal but we went out to win by dictating the play and controlling the game not hang on and maybe nick it. Really intrigued to see how we approach the last 2 games of the season. Man City away is a very different prospect to Arsenal at home.

• Like 1

Same hopes as this season:

1) Top 10 finish with more points than the previous season.

2) Cup semi final.

3) End the season with the same manager we started with.

Can imagine Utd and Arsenal will still being below par next year. Possibly Chelsea too given their transfer ban.

Silly to expect it but there's no reason we can't take a top 6 spot.

If we sign Youri and a goalscoring wide player, I'd class top 6 as a realistic target.

Edited by Nod.E

- Keep our key players

- Sign Youri and get Silva to Monaco

- Finish off the clearance of deadwood within the squad (sad to see Okazaki, Fuchs and probably King leave but it’s time. Not sad to get rid of Slimani, if anyone’ll have him)

- Keep Vardy fit throughout next season

- Aim to get to Europe

• Like 1

Do we have to label things and start listing aims?! The problem in doing this is if we do what the OP states and dont finish in CL position in say 6th or 7th would that be a failure of a season?!

For me, I`d love us to go into Ranieri mode. Dont talk things up even when there were 6 or 7 games to go and Champions League football was assured. Its all about the next game! What we should be doing as Leicester fans is hoping the recruitment keeps unearthing these talents, keep praying that the hierarchy convince our best players to stay for as long as possible and the appointment of Rodgers will no doubt help,hope that more youth players keep coming through and hope we can keep progressing on the pitch like is evident we are under BR. If we continue to improve bit by bit and progress then we will have a great season no doubt.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ttfn said:

2) Cup semi final.

suggestions of...FA cup, Champions league, EPL champions... and somehow, this seems the most unlikely :)

51 minutes ago, ttfn said:

2) Cup semi final.

Always get me why people say a cup semi final or final,

we should be saying to win it,

to that far and lose,

i would rather get knocked out in earlier rounds

100% top 6 next year all the young players we are giving game time to now will be better next year. Good player recruitment is important but we don’t need that much if we keep hold of what we have already. Man united arsenal and Chelsea have a lot more  work to do than we do. Roll on next year it’s going to be great

Top 6 finish next season looks a realistic aim. There is so much uncertainty about the top 6 that someone else can break through.

Man Utd and Chelsea was a real 'how the mighty have fallen' clash yesterday. Utd have squandered so much financially since 2013 its puts our summer signings of 2016 in the h'apenny place.  5 years ago a player like Maguire would have been off like a shot. It's no surprise he wasnt too keen on joining last summer. Chelsea have the Hazard saga likely drawing to a close soon but how long will Kante hang around before he starts thinking of a move. He has only played 1 season in the Champions League which is surprising. Take that midfield out of Chelsea and they look very ordinary.

Arsenal may still be declining too. A 1 step forward 2 steps back kind of club right now. Don't look like they have bottomed out.

Man City and Liverpool are the yardstick but our results against them have been better than others.

We have started to recover from the post-title hangover. With 2 or 3 additions and maybe 1 departure there is a lot to be optimistic about.