Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

How the defender cleared that one he was about to bundle in on the line is beyond me, totally sums up the situation he's currently in with struggling for goals. That said, Perez would have skied it from that for out anyway. Both need to step it up, confident they will as the rest of their game is good!

Using that example is harsh. It was a Vardy shot and it was just excellent work by the defender.  Having said that, it did show that he is “too” nice inside - that he felt it was a Vardy shot so he hesitated to interfere.

12 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

The only worry I have about Barnes is when he starts banging them in and scores 10+ goals a season he’ll be the new ‘Maddison’ with every club and their dog bidding 100m for him

... possibly!! 

He can finish(he has done it at WBA) , he has had numerous chances so far but fails to hit the target for us. He does impact the games as he warrants attention of the oppositions defence but the lack of goals is alarming. 

His position on the left reduces his options and a switch to the right would open up so much more natural angles for him to exploit. 

I have said before that Gray was over indulged on the left, should we continue to keep Barnes on the left will only be repeating a shortsighted vision which could hold him back for years. 

3 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

He's so exciting.

Has so much potential.

Creates opportunities.

Finishing / final ball will come in time.

I really wish he had the same swagger and confidence as Maddison, he’d be such a better player for it.

But, give it a few months and I think he’ll be on that left wing shouting and screaming for the ball and getting his head down and running at the fullback for 90 minutes. 

He was good last night but I still want more, because I know he’s got more to give. Honestly when everything clicks into place for this lad he’ll be an absolute world beater and a top premier league winger. He’s got the potential to hit 10 goals and 10 assists in a season like Mahrez could. 

Edited by TJB-fox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

Most of our chances are falling to him and he just cant shoot.

Our chances aren’t ‘falling to him’. He’s creating so many chances for himself.

That’s a talent that players have or don’t have. It is difficult to coach finishing but it’s also massively linked with a players confidence. He’s shown he can finish playing for West Brom. He got off to a flying start and didn’t burden himself with needing goals. 

He’s young, talented and not the most confident lad at the minute. It’ll come. He’s not starting every game for any other reason that he’s a constant threat and Rodgers can see something in him that most of us can too. When he comes good (starts scoring, he’s already playing well), we’ll be saying Rodgers is the reason and was right to stick by him. 

Luckily for us and him, we’re not relying on his goals at the minute. 

• Like 2

Should have had at least 3 more assists than he actually got. If he’d stayed at WBA he’d have ended up with 20+ goals and 15+ assists. We paid £25(?)m for Maddison whose figures weren’t that good. What would you pay for a young English winger getting those numbers in the championship? £35m? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Should have had at least 3 more assists than he actually got. If he’d stayed at WBA he’d have ended up with 20+ goals and 15+ assists. We paid £25(?)m for Maddison whose figures weren’t that good. What would you pay for a young English winger getting those numbers in the championship? £35m? 

What I love about Barnes is his seemingly unlimited energy reserve, as well as his lack of fear. He'll run at his man for 90+ minutes without so much as batting an eyelid and that kind of drive is infectious; it sets the tempo for the rest of the team, and once he starts finding the net on a regular basis, there'll be no stopping him. Also, props to West Brom for playing a major part in his development.

37 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Had a look, the goals scored he had a lot more space than he will get in the EPL, the more difficult ones he missed.  But as I said before I will trust in Rodgers, and Barnes is young so if Rodgers thinks he can improve to score then I will back that up.

My concern is though we are starting to struggle to score in games now, especially early on.  In the Brighton game if Barnes puts his chances away that would have likely been a comfy 3+ goal win as he had his chances early in the game.

Also to Leeds Fox I never said we should drop Barnes as I recognise the other parts of his game are useful.  Also yes "some" of his chances are made when he runs into that position, others fall to him though as he has been very lucky with how often players pass to him, or Rodgers is instructing players to pass to Barnes as a first option, we play way more down the left than the right I noticed.

• Thanks 1

i think he’s fairly typical of a young winger in so much as he’s absolutely desperate to score. 

he went on  a great little Mazy dribble last night and it shows his class. 

He just needs to develop his composure and he’ll be top class.

8 hours ago, Stadt said:

Man he looks soooooooo good in these videos. For me a lot of his play for Leicester is very similar other than the final part of bagging / assisting. In these videos he seems so confident, demanding the ball and pointing as to where he wants his team mates to play the ball to. This is maybe the biggest difference between the WBA and Leicester versions, because that confidence and composure equalled end product. That moment against Watford where he danced past numerous players but couldn't finish sums up his LCFC career so far, whereas at West Brom, he'd put those sort of chances away.

As others have said though, if he can improve in that area he could become incredible. For me his Premier League performances are not too dissimilar to his highlights here. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Had a look, the goals scored he had a lot more space than he will get in the EPL, the more difficult ones he missed.  But as I said before I will trust in Rodgers, and Barnes is young so if Rodgers thinks he can improve to score then I will back that up.

My concern is though we are starting to struggle to score in games now, especially early on.  In the Brighton game if Barnes puts his chances away that would have likely been a comfy 3+ goal win as he had his chances early in the game.

Also to Leeds Fox I never said we should drop Barnes as I recognise the other parts of his game are useful.  Also yes "some" of his chances are made when he runs into that position, others fall to him though as he has been very lucky with how often players pass to him, or Rodgers is instructing players to pass to Barnes as a first option, we play way more down the left than the right I noticed.

We probably play more down the left because that leaves Perez with the option to ghost into spaces more easily, which creates more chances for us, whereas Perez is much easier to body off the ball unlike Barnes who can build up more effectively, so it makes more sense to start attacks down that flank.

8 hours ago, Keiriel said:

What I love about Barnes is his seemingly unlimited energy reserve, as well as his lack of fear. He'll run at his man for 90+ minutes without so much as batting an eyelid and that kind of drive is infectious; it sets the tempo for the rest of the team, and once he starts finding the net on a regular basis, there'll be no stopping him. Also, props to West Brom for playing a major part in his development.

absolutely! I hate playing against  sides with players like that in their team

9 hours ago, Stadt said:

Spot on! 

If you look at Wednesday's highlights he's involved in most of them.

No,he's not the finished article yet but players develop at different rates and he's going to be a top player.

I look at that YT clip and think of Jarrod Bowen. Probably the same clip I saw last summer of Barnes that made me go out of my mind with excitement.

Makes me wonder about the jump between the Championship and the Premier League.

Is there that much of a gulf between the leagues that makes clubs not willing to take the chance on Bowen?

Barnes and Bowen absolutely reek of poise and confidence. What happened? What do clubs see that we don't?

Or could it be that Barnes is learning to play clubs that park the bus? Because there is lots of space in that clip.

They seem connected for different reasons.

Edited by SO1

2 minutes ago, SO1 said:

I look at that YT clip and think of Jarrod Bowen. Probably the same clip I saw last summer of Barnes that made me go out of my mind with excitement.

Is there that much of a gulf between the leagues that makes clubs not willing to take the chance on Bowen?

Barnes and Bowen absolutely reek of poise and confidence. What happened? What do clubs see that we don't?

Or could it be that Barnes is learning to play clubs that park the bus? Because there is lots of space in that clip.

Bowen is slow though 

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Man he looks soooooooo good in these videos. For me a lot of his play for Leicester is very similar other than the final part of bagging / assisting. In these videos he seems so confident, demanding the ball and pointing as to where he wants his team mates to play the ball to. This is maybe the biggest difference between the WBA and Leicester versions, because that confidence and composure equalled end product. That moment against Watford where he danced past numerous players but couldn't finish sums up his LCFC career so far, whereas at West Brom, he'd put those sort of chances away.

As others have said though, if he can improve in that area he could become incredible. For me his Premier League performances are not too dissimilar to his highlights here. 

I really wonder if it is Chilwell here ... Chilwell seems to always want to boss Barnes around ... it is just so much different to how he treats other players especially his mate Maddison ... I have no idea ...

I wonder if he would do better if he can try to play on the right wing

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Tammy Abraham was electrifying last season in the Championship and is lighting up for Chelsea this season, but he wasn’t expected to though Frank Lampard gave him a chance.

Maddison made the step up last season with the manager giving him a lot of patience.

Perhaps he just needs to be given the same patience. He has done very well already!

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 1

Harvey has all the natural talent - the skill and the speed - but is just lacking that composure and ability to think clearly under pressure when he gets into a dangerous position.

With good coaching - and more importantly an injection of confidence when he finally scores at the King Power - he’ll be a massive asset to our team. But I guess, as with Gray, patience can only hold out for so long - with the manager and with the fans.

7 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Bowen is slow though 

Bowen has 13 goals and we've only just hit December. Bowen is doing what Barnes isn't yet.

I'm not pulling for Bowen over Barnes. I'm just curious because when I watch Barnes in those clips its like watching a different person. Striking.

Doesn't seem like there's THAT big a jump between the two leagues.