Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

The Politics Thread 2019

Just now, Jon the Hat said:

A good trick that.  I find when I read abut or see AU politics, they are more argumentative, more confrontational and more blustery bullshit than here.  As you say the Murdoch mafia is much worse.

I assume that British politics is much more confrontational than it was when i was last there, but Oz politics has certainly become much more shouty in the past 10 years, but i assume this is the same the world over.

I prefer the OZ proportional voting style though it still has enormous flaws, which have recently been exploited by "preference whisperers" who manage to get people into the Senate with just a few votes.

24 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

yeah, my use of the word 'entirely' in the second quote wasn't correct lol.

of course there will always be room for some UK manufacturing - there are certain things we excel at - but not much anymore. There's a reason every other building in major cities are either coffee shops, restaurants, hotels or some other leisure / hospitality type outfit. You visit proper manufacturing cities in China, India, etc. and every other building is another small manufacturer - some entire streets all making the same product, different companies. 

The idea that foxin_mad or whoever is trying to sell that if we believe hard enough we can bring all that industry back to the UK is wrong and it'll continue to be wrong until people either ditch throwaway culture and be prepared to pay double / triple for UK manufactured goods that 'last' (supposedly, not always true). just like Trump wants to reopen the coal mines - it ain't gonna happen. We need to focus on what new industry we can excel in moving forward - not looking back over our shoulders.

If people like Boris Johnson were shouting about training people from school to be leaders in green energy / manufacturers of solar panels, wind-farms / leading scientists in renewables, whatever; then maybe there'd be something to get behind. All this chest-beating and blowing hot air about the 'good old days' is just bluster and it only appeals to those not intelligent enough to understand that our future doesn't lie in the 'good old days' - it lies in moving on, moving forward and excelling at something new. 

I have never said we can/should bring all industry back to the UK, we need to focus on core areas and areas where we excel. We are not going back to the industrial revolution. 

I don't  think Boris hasn't suggested bringing back the good old days to my knowledge? He has talked about Fibre broadband for all to support tech, supporting small business, investing in education, more police, better social care. I have never been a fan of the bloke or Brexit but I think we need to judge him on what he does from now on. 

The good old days rhetoric is more Corbyn and his Union cronies from what Ive seen.

15 minutes ago, Buce said:

That sounds awesome, mate.

I'll try and upload some photos for you when I get the chance.

Whole lifetime gone by since.

Found a Girl,carried on travelling,got married,travelled,had kids,travelled,landed in Germany...

Sort of Fox on the Run...

@Buce so long as you can you keep trekking and hiking fella..!!

I always wanted,/hoped to carry on into my old Dottin age,but health and short straws eventually took their toll,nothing to blame,just circle of life...!! 

So carry on stepping into the wild things of life....Take a photo of Boris with you,to remember what motivates you...:celebrate:..?

• Like 1

Philip Hammond

Verified account

@PhilipHammondUK
Follow Follow @PhilipHammondUK
More
I have just handed in my resignation to @theresa_may. It has been a privilege to serve as her Chancellor of the Exchequer for the last three years.

1:31 PM - 24 Jul 2019

20 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Well as Alf would tell you we voted to leave the eu. We didn't vote how to leave the eu. :whistle:

The question of how was never included, and quite rightly so. "Leave means leave", by any means possible. No deal has always been my preference from day one..

34 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

The question of how was never included, and quite rightly so. "Leave means leave", by any means possible. No deal has always been my preference from day one..

The problem with the current situation is we allowed the EU to dictate what they wanted, had it ratified and then clawed around like a bunch of fcukwits realising we had made the mother of all sh#t negotiating and got the square root of fcuk all in return.

I sincerely hope the EU will now at least realise that leaving with no deal could happen, as Barnier said it had never been mentioned before, (FFS hard to believe with all TM soundbites) and talk about a way forward. If however it becomes clear nothing will  change then I really hope we leave on the 31st .

3 hours ago, Vacamion said:

It’s hard to believe that a Prime Minister who has been hounded out of office by her divided party, who is widely considered to be the worst in living memory, just handed the leader of the opposition his baws at her last PMQs.

Agree with Corbyn or not, he’s bloody useless.

A weak opposition is one of the reasons we are in such a mess.

Shame.

I do like Corbyn, but even I'd be scared a little bit to see him leader. This is getting ridiculous now, he's on his third leader to oppose with. The stance on brexit has been an utter joke too, May basically said the same rhetoric Cameron said 3 odd year ago, which speaks volumes. Corbyn realistically should be leader of the Greens or the Respect party, he doesn't really have a place within mainstream politics, i think his no committal approach to brexit is probably losing his youth vote to the lib dems of all people

Fine and noble words Boris.

I’m sure we’re all now pumped full of enthusiasm and motivation :rolleyes:

Let’s see how you do old chap. Interesting times ahead...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I do like Corbyn, but even I'd be scared a little bit to see him leader. This is getting ridiculous now, he's on his third leader to oppose with. The stance on brexit has been an utter joke too, May basically said the same rhetoric Cameron said 3 odd year ago, which speaks volumes. Corbyn realistically should be leader of the Greens or the Respect party, he doesn't really have a place within mainstream politics, i think his no committal approach to brexit is probably losing his youth vote to the lib dems of all people

That's the thing he's failing to realise. There are now a generation of young people, below those who felt betrayed by the Lib Dems in 2010 and aren't yet willing to forgive, whose votes he can't rely on.

21 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Either you're too hot or it's too hot to argue, not sure which.....

I'll take track 13 "Take it Easy", not aimed at you Alf Bentley, but just my general view on life...

Edited by oxford blue
Regarding approval of von der Layen, it was a 52-48% majority. The Lib Dems are happy with this majority, but campaign to overturn Brexit, the same majority
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

That's the thing he's failing to realise. There are now a generation of young people, below those who felt betrayed by the Lib Dems in 2010 and aren't yet willing to forgive, whose votes he can't rely on.

It's his vacillation on Brexit that's done it.

He has lost the Remain vote by trying to appeal to a working-class Northern vote that was already lost to Leave.

• Like 1

This sounds like a controversial appointment, to say the very least: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49101464

"Outside the cabinet, the most eye-catching appointment of the day so far is that of Dominic Cummings as senior adviser to the new prime minister. Cummings, who has a reputation for being extremely quick-witted but also brash and outspoken, was previously an adviser to Michael Gove at the education ministry and thereafter campaign director for Vote Leave during the EU referendum. The Oxford-educated 47-year old is credited with devising the Leave side's winning strategy, including coming up with its hugely resonant "take back control" slogan. [...] Mr Cummings was held in contempt of Parliament for failing to respond to a summons to appear before, and give evidence to, the Culture, Media and Sport select committee. On the few occasions that he has been scrutinised by MPs, there have often been rhetorical fireworks and bad blood on both sides".

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

This sounds like a controversial appointment, to say the very least: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49101464

"Outside the cabinet, the most eye-catching appointment of the day so far is that of Dominic Cummings as senior adviser to the new prime minister. Cummings, who has a reputation for being extremely quick-witted but also brash and outspoken, was previously an adviser to Michael Gove at the education ministry and thereafter campaign director for Vote Leave during the EU referendum. The Oxford-educated 47-year old is credited with devising the Leave side's winning strategy, including coming up with its hugely resonant "take back control" slogan. [...] Mr Cummings was held in contempt of Parliament for failing to respond to a summons to appear before, and give evidence to, the Culture, Media and Sport select committee. On the few occasions that he has been scrutinised by MPs, there have often been rhetorical fireworks and bad blood on both sides".

And people think Prime Minister Johnson isn't going to do anything.

3 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

And people think Prime Minister Johnson isn't going to do anything.

I’m sure he’ll do lots of things.

It’s what he does and how he does it that concerns me..

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Javid set to stay - Chancellor?

I rather enjoy this bit.  May's cabinet failed.  OUT! :)

i'm sure Johnson is assuming that everyone he's outing to the backbenches will just fall in-line and support him

they won't. this isn't a positive for you no-deal hard-brexiteers - he already has a minority govt. and he's leaking support before he's got his foot through the door.

the conservative party has already shown they won't back a no-deal exit and it'll be his own side who block him and bring him down. 

this has GE written all over it - and I've heard that despite what people think about corbyn he's been waiting on this to play out from the start and has something pretty hard-hitting up his sleeve once a GE is called.

• Like 1