Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fuchsntf

Caglar Soyuncu

9 minutes ago, frany104 said:

He’s gone a little off the boil after his unreal start. He needs Evans to calm him down and get back to his majestic best.

It was definitely one his weakest performances for us tonight. Got caught on the ball and out of position a few times and felt like he was constantly scrambling back. He largely got away with it but better/more alert strikers would have punished him tonight.

He's not quite been the same imperious player he was earlier in the season the past few weeks.

Edited by Sampson

Players benefit from being well drilled and settled in positions. This comstantly ****ing around playing him on the right of a three and left of a two can't be doing him much good. For a position where your positioning is key, having to keep adapting your body position is difficult. 

• Like 1

Just now, Katy said:

He cut a devastated figure on the pitch when their winner went in, not nice to see. I’ve seen people on twitter etc saying the players don’t care, I beg to differ. 

I don't doubt it. He wasn't particularly great tonight and might not be happy with their first, but he's also been extremely stretched at times this season. Above all in recent weeks. The number of times I've seen him move up into midfield, cover RB, cover Evans, even get across to cover the LB... I know we consider him over-eager at times, but that willingness to leave his post has been a necessity too.

In fact, it's scary at times to see how the lack of robustness in centre midfield and the advanced role of our full backs leaves both CBs exposed. Managers always talk about defending as 'the responsibility of the whole team'. That's definitely not what's happening at the moment.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

I don't doubt it. He wasn't particularly great tonight and might not be happy with their first, but he's also been extremely stretched at times this season. Above all in recent weeks. The number of times I've seen him move up into midfield, cover RB, cover Evans, even get across to cover the LB... I know we consider him over-eager at times, but that willingness to leave his post has been a necessity too.

In fact, it's scary at times to see how the lack of robustness in centre midfield and the advanced role of our full backs leaves both CBs exposed. Managers always talk about defending as 'the responsibility of the whole team'. That's definitely not what's happening at the moment.

You’re right, we definitely haven’t been defending as a team. It’s difficult to pin-point exactly what’s happened to us recently. It could be interest from other clubs for certain players affecting them, too many games, we’ve been ‘found out’ etc.

Going back to Söyüncü, some guy behind me tonight yelled ‘stop Cruyff turning you twat!’ at him. I mean, come on! 

I think we defo played 3 at the back in some circumstances (we tend to try be fluid depending on the match situation)

Maybe playing Soyuncu at right back (which we effectively were) is tactical; maybe to allow Ricardo to get forward more and thereby allowing Perez to move inside in support of Nacho, OR perhaps to combat a perceived threat down that side with Soyuncu being a more mobile defender than Evans. I dunno.  It's certainly true to say that Evans is a pukka CB and you wouldn't move him out wide, so Soyuncu is the one that compensates. In a back 4, Evans and Soyuncu play as CBs with Soyuncu on the left - in a back 3 (which, as I said, we sometimes move to), Soyuncu switches to the right hand side of Evans and plays more as a fullback.

Soyuncu is an athletic, strong defender who's pretty darn quick - so he does get to do a fair bit of covering. A great deal is expected of him and he usually delivers. Sometimes that does make it look as though he's 'scrambling back' but I actually don't think it's any fault on his part. We do push up to compress the game. Personally, I think we tend to over commit in attack and we can very quickly be put onto the back foot when our attack breaks down (either loss of possession or otherwise) It makes us look as though we're 'seat of the pants' defending (and maybe we are) but I think the problem is in front of Soyuncu and Evans, not with them - if you get what I mean. 

I like how we play. I love that we are so attractive in attack BUT I am starting to wonder whether there's a defensive frailty built in to this tactic. In the earlier part of the season, we seemed to be rock solid at the back, there was little mopping up to do at the back so whilst that frailty was there, it was rarely exposed. But I think since around the turn of the year (Norwich, Villa, Southampton especially and then Burnley) teams rumbled us; they cottoned on to breaking quickly when we lost possession, contesting the midfield and generally getting in our faces - they realised doing that exposes us, puts us into scramble mode. We've yet to combat that successfully and it exposes our reliance on Ndidi and, by extension, Soyuncu and Evans.

I'm not sure whether Rodgers accepts this as simply a potential downside to his plan (Man City do similar; they're great on the ball but can be suspect at the back), or whether he plans to address it in some way, but I am starting to think it's a gaping hole in our tactics and formation, one that is now exposed for all to see and will be exploited again and again unless something is done pronto.

Villa last night just illustrated that. We were the 'better' side in terms of possession, chances and general movement - yet we lost. We lost because our inbuilt defensive frailty is readily exposed.  

Edited by mabrah
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...