Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bezzanator89

Demarai Gray

4 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Very astute observation! Yes I agree with all of that. In a structured and more methodical attack he makes poor decisions which cost him. Used like he was today he can play his more natural game and his pace can hurt teams. 

Honestly that goes some way to explaining the enigma that Gray has been over the years. 

But I must also say I don’t think he’ll ever make the spot his own. I’d love to be proved wrong but when he starts he’s rarely able to produce. Not every player can be a world beater and Gray I think is about as good as he’ll ever be for us, which might still be useful but never a “main man.”

Would love to be proved wrong of course!

Agree. But also think that as this club starts playing Euro football and all the extra matches that entails that there will be a place for him here in the future. If he wants it.

At least until we uncover the next prospect/player in transfer or player development. Because we know the squad is going to continue to be improved.

I'm not giving up on him improving either. That's up to him. As Rodgers alluded to this week that he is very honest and blunt with the players. Demarai knows where he stands.

7 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Every time he starts he does absolutely nothing. He is best coming off the bench when the team are tiring.

You still have to reward good sub apps and it’s not every time he starts either

118 premier league appearances. 

6 goals. 

8 assists. 

He's had his time. Twenty minutes does not a player make. Whichever way you dress it he isn't good enough for us. He hasn't made an impact on the pitch bar one or two decent matches. 

12 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

6 goals. 

8 assists. 

He's had his time. Twenty minutes does not a player make. Whichever way you dress it he isn't good enough for us. He hasn't made an impact on the pitch bar one or two decent matches. 

You missed the game today?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

You missed the game today?

No. I was there. Your facetious attempt at denigrating my point doesn't alter or amend the statistics. 

He's played in 118 premier league games for us and hasn't cut the mustard. One good cameo now and again isn't enough for us any more. 

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

6 goals. 

8 assists. 

That figure of 14 goals and assists  in 118 premier league appearances is misleading and a bit harsh for a number of reasons.

1. It's factually incorrect he's scored 8 and assisted 8 (according to transfermarkt).

2. We signed him when he was 19, not sure how many 19 year olds in the championship you know that could start churning out goals and assists every week in the premier league. His competition (Barnes and Maddison) made their debuts at Leicester at 21. He's obviously going to need a lot of games to get up to speed. So it's harsh to use his first two season when he was 19 and 20 as a stick to beat him. 

3. Of those 119 games he has only started 49. So under 40% of games.

Don't get me wrong he's not made the progress I thought he would yet but I'm not prepared to write him off just yet. He came on and played well today So hopefully he can build on that and hopefully fans get behind him instead of crying about him not having enough assists and not having an impact directly after a game where he assisted a winning goal and made a clear impact.

Edited by The whole world smiles
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, foxile5 said:

6 goals. 

8 assists. 

But he's a good option off the bench under certain circumstances like proved today. I remember him coming on earlier in the season and being brilliant too (possibly Bournemouth) 

I think he had a lot of pressure on him in the early days but if you'd told him when he was at Birmingham he'd be a fringe player at a top 6 side he'd probably have been happy. 

Looks like Rodgers is having a positive influence on him and long may it continue.

5 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

That figure of 14 goals and assists  in 118 premier league appearances is misleading and a bit harsh for a number of reasons.

1. It's factually incorrect he's scored 8 and assisted 8 (according to transfermarkt).

2. We signed him when he was 19, not sure how many 19 year olds in the championship you know that could start churning out goals and assists every week in the premier league. His competition (Barnes and Maddison) made their debuts at Leicester at 21. He's obviously going to need a lot of games to get up to speed. So it's harsh to use his first two season when he was 19 and 20 as a stick to beat him. 

Don't get me wrong he's not made the progress I thought he would yet but I'm not prepared to write him off just yet. He came on and played well today So hopefully he can build on that and hopefully fans get behind him instead of crying about him not having enough assists and not having an impact directly after a game where he assisted a winning goal and made a clear impact.

You're sure that's PL stats and not overall?

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

You're sure that's PL stats and not overall?

He’s definitely got 8 in the prem.

Man U - A - 2016/17

Everton - H - 2017/18

Burnley - H - 2017/18

Newcastle - A - 2017/18

Southampton - A - 2018/19

Cardiff - A - 2018/19

Wolves - A 2018/19

Brighton - H - 2018/19

Nothing to really shout about in the 120 odd games he’s played though. Has never developed the consistency in his game to realise his early promise.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Apologies for the incorrect stats. They were taken from the Premier league site. 

The fact he made his debut earlier shouldn't give him a pass - free should have developed. He should have better judgement and more experience at very least. 

I agree he was good yesterday, but that isn't enough to continue in my opinion. We need more quality in our team and he'd be my choice to replace.

To me he's one who's always flattered to deceive. He looks very good at times and people want that to be spread over full performances, but i don't see it. 

10 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Apologies for the incorrect stats. They were taken from the Premier league site. 

The fact he made his debut earlier shouldn't give him a pass - free should have developed. He should have better judgement and more experience at very least. 

I agree he was good yesterday, but that isn't enough to continue in my opinion. We need more quality in our team and he'd be my choice to replace.

To me he's one who's always flattered to deceive. He looks very good at times and people want that to be spread over full performances, but i don't see it. 

I think it’s fair to criticise his output in one respect but as others have pointed out the figures don’t really tell the full story. 

I get extremely frustrated with him too but we must remember that’s he’s still very young and has had very inconsistent coaching while he’s been here. 

I would say this season is his last chance here though to be honest. 

12 hours ago, foxile5 said:

No. I was there. Your facetious attempt at denigrating my point doesn't alter or amend the statistics. 

He's played in 118 premier league games for us and hasn't cut the mustard. One good cameo now and again isn't enough for us any more. 

But timing is everything. Not saying your opinion is wrong as I think most of us feel a similar way about Gray. But you're choosing to say that after he made a difference and helped us win the game? Your timing massively undermines your point.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

But timing is everything. Not saying your opinion is wrong as I think most of us feel a similar way about Gray. But you're choosing to say that after he made a difference and helped us win the game? Your timing massively undermines your point.

Eh, I don't think so. Maybe if this were one of the first times he got subbed on and really looked good, but by now Gray has had so many "false dawns" it looks like a feature, not a bug. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been genuinely impressed by Gray lately, that's not me over-compensating for the fact I've criticised him previously either, but he deserves a bit of praise. That bit of play for the goal yesterday was quality, it was a different side of him.

• Like 1