Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Ayoze Pérez

2 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Perez, Maddison , Praet , when we lose its got be be one of them's fault and we should have played the other. All season we have been getting that. In truth we regularly get outgunned in midfield. Soumaré should help but we lack an experienced man there. Buy a 30 y.o. ,somebody who can lead our kids and tough it out when we need to.

That's the knee-jerk reaction, but Praet is exonerated at the moment as he appears to be in detention. What is difficult to discern is why a player who makes it into the Belgian squad remains sidelined. A back four and Praet, N'Didi and Tielemans in that defensive midfield was what was needed to dampen a succession of demoralising attacks though the central channels. And I just don't see Albrighton as a defender - his mentality is about creating chances.

Praet was on the bench so there was no issue of injury, discipline or some other problem.

Their goals weren't produced from active play but their threat was constant. My view was that Perez provided a kind of nominal cover but was absolutely toothless going forward - so Iheanacho was left off because Perez works hard. When Nacho comes on you always have more than a half-chance, such is his speed and accuracy.

Stick on an extra midfielder, in Praet a utility player of some class, and the attacks can be stifled to a greater extent and transitions forward have more potential and variability. Maybe Maddison would have been more effective in that set-up...who knows.

The team does need a mature player in midfield. It actually needs a mature player period. Evans is an incredibly perceptive and skilled defender, just as Schmeichel is an outstanding goalkeeper. But teams need a dominant/domineering player and the big four have them. City doesn't have that kind of bloke. I always think of Dunga as the epitome of that player - as skilled as Kante, as nasty as Keane and an incredible reader of the game. When you have a player like that, then it's liberating for the guys around him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

We’ve been fabled for having made some great signings over recent years

Let’s have it right though, we’ve also made some bloody awful ones too

Slimani at 30 mill being possibly the biggest joke of them all 

Am I right we are STILL paying the big fookin donkey a ridiculous weekly wage??

The we haven't made a terrible signing in 3 years (Ghezzal).

Slimani, Silva, Musa etc seem a long time ago.

1 hour ago, turtmcfly said:

Should now say, according to @Bert in the Praet thread, that 'somehow' is a contractual obligation to play him for a number of games

Hang on, Perez is contractually obliged to play x number of games? That’s ludicrous, to the point of disincentivizing high levels of performance 

1 minute ago, Stadt said:

Ghezzal has 17 assists in 31 apps this season 

Perez has 23 assists in his entire career

I know he's playing Turkey and the standard is generally shite, but could you see Perez doing that? I can't. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BenTheFox said:

I know he's playing Turkey and the standard is generally shite, but could you see Perez doing that? I can't. 

4 assists in 36 championship appearances for Newcastle 

1 minute ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Hang on, Perez is contractually obliged to play x number of games? That’s ludicrous, to the point of disincentivizing high levels of performance 

Never heard of such a contract, why would a club ever agree to that.

I know BR has generally justified his selection by stating it's his work rate or positional play that keeps him regularly in contention, which I'm prepared to accept to an extent, but at what point does that stop washing with people when he continues to offer so little in his so-called favored positions. 

I don't want to fall afoul of the "dare to criticize a player and you're a bad supporter" gang, but the stats that have been posted on here in the last couple of days are pretty remarkable, TBH.

As an attacking player your meat and drink is to provide or score goals. He does neither.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Koke said:

Honestly, he's no better than Gray and Ghezzal, and both were shipped out by Rodgers. I'm not sure what he sees in Perez. I used to like him for his decent link up play but I can't be arsed with him anymore. 

Unfortunately Perez is a Rodgers man and the other two weren't but on saying that the other two were crap as well

14 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

I know BR has generally justified his selection by stating it's his work rate or positional play that keeps him regularly in contention, which I'm prepared to accept to an extent, but at what point does that stop washing with people when he continues to offer so little in his so-called favored positions. 

I don't want to fall afoul of the "dare to criticize a player and you're a bad supporter" gang, but the stats that have been posted on here in the last couple of days are pretty remarkable, TBH.

As an attacking player your meat and drink is to provide or score goals. He does neither.

Not always that simple though is it? Look at Okazaki.

But I agree, he's bobbins

34 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

It's b@##*&ks. Can we move on now to a  serious line of enquiry. It's clear that Ayoze plays because he's 'H' 

Ian Buckells would score against more than just Sheffield United!

20 minutes ago, nettle said:

Praet has probably said he wants out and who can blame him when sitting on the bench watching Perez run round like a headless chicken

I'm just saying that, if the theory goes 'Perez gets disproportionate game time, because he's a BR signing' - then doesn't the lack of game time for Praet (a BR signing) go some way to contradicting said theory? 

30 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

I'm just saying that, if the theory goes 'Perez gets disproportionate game time, because he's a BR signing' - then doesn't the lack of game time for Praet (a BR signing) go some way to contradicting said theory? 

I get the feeling that Praet was 3rd choice for that type of player . Rodgers alluded to having a 1st, 2nd and third choice when signing a player .

Where as maybe he really pushed for Perez and feels like he's got to prove he was worth the money.

The problem we have with this guy is that we wont recoup anywhere near the £30m we paid for him... I still cringe at that fee tbh...

it’s not like he played himself into contention for an game cup final start either... it’s purely down to Maddison being bang average recently..

I think a fresh start is needed with our front 3.... sell Maddison and Perez , reinvest and use Vardy as an impact player...

we never looked like creating last ngt... Perez/ Maddison have no pace/drive between them.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Or you could  look at this way Praet was lined up before Brendan arrived? 

2 hours ago, Rigga said:

Perez/ Maddison have no pace/drive between them.

Maddison can get back to a level - Perez never was at that kind of a level. Maddison has a complex and potentially top-level career ending injury, and needs to be nursed back to health. You don't dump a player of Madder's potential and playing history because of a half season's reduced impact. At his best he's a game changer - consistently. This has been a terrible season for shit injuries. I want to see the team with a fully-fit Barnes, JJ and Ricardo alongside side Madders. We might then see a rebirth of Vardy and an even sharper Iheanacho. Recruitment of key support figures over the summer is essential. Perez is just surplus to our needs and BR needs to get objective about that and about his wasting of Praet's potential.

• Like 1