Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Bournemouth H Post Match Thread 3 - 1

1 hour ago, Corky said:

Wilson was fortunate not to be off himself, pulled back Maddison's shorts in the first half when he was going clear, dived and then sarcastically applauded in the aftermath.

Three yellows there.

Wasn’t a blatant pull back meant to be a straight yellow... why on earth do they not get punished against us for it? 

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Pardon? Mostly woeful? That's not true is it hahahaa. I will concede that he doesn't seem to have anywhere near the same impact from the start of games than when he comes on, I also think he seems better on the right wing away from Chilwell where there's a real lack of natural understanding.

He will get goalscoring chances and is the direct force we need at times, so far his output for us has been alright. Needs to add end product which he showed last weekend but I can't recall where he's looked woeful but can recall several games where he looked our most dangerous midfielder. 

Woeful was over the top, but he did nothing yesterday and that’s not the first time. The point was less about him and more about the others getting jumped on for average performance when certain players get glossed over.

Barnes is a real threat if you can get him running at goal, but he doesn’t seem to know how to create the space or link up down that side to create those sorts of chances in dangerous areas. It’s frustrating watching him and Chilwell all over the shop not supporting each other or making openings. Then you see Albrighton and Ricardo creating all sorts of space with neat little runs and overlaps etc.

Hopefully it comes with time, but he looks a little lost in those types of situations at the moment.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Wasn’t a blatant pull back meant to be a straight yellow... why on earth do they not get punished against us for it? 

I think where it happens on the pitch determines whether it is a yellow, if he'd done it in our area I don't think it is an automatic yellow. In their half with Maddison advancing is a clear stopping of an attack.

• Like 1

.. perhaps switching Barnes to the right and Albrighton to the left might aid Barnes as he would be linking up with Ricardo. The discord between Barnes and Chilwell limits his impact on the game and noticeably the supply of chances to Barnes has dried up since Rodgers has been in charge. 

Barnes seems a lot more involved when on the right of the front three. 

The next game could be the right time to make the switch, we could switch if it doesn't work without having to changing personnel. 

• Like 3

I like Maddison a lot but one thing that irritated me last year was watching him jump out of tackles sometimes.  Nice to see him get his foot in, in the lead up to the third goal and also winning that header.  He'll never be Nobby Stiles but perhaps he is adding a little aggression to his game.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Corky said:

I think where it happens on the pitch determines whether it is a yellow, if he'd done it in our area I don't think it is an automatic yellow. In their half with Maddison advancing is a clear stopping of an attack.

So  teams like Bournemouth and Man City will get away with cynically fouling and pulling back in their own halves to stop you breaking with the ball.

34 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

So  teams like Bournemouth and Man City will get away with cynically fouling and pulling back in their own halves to stop you breaking with the ball.

Man City have been getting more scrutiny for their style this season, Pellegrini mentioned it after the first game.

They just take turns to break the match up.

21 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

Indeed. Great controlled performance. Fuchs was great too when he came on. I would like to thinkt that had he started we would have been even better going forward. Thought Chilwell did ok, and he made a great pass to Vardy, but otherwise did not do much going forward and was out of position a few times. I think Fuchs would also bring Barnes into the game a bit more.

By the way, I also really like Ricardo and Albrighton on the other side. They were running havoc down the right side. Much more effective than Ricardo / Perez.

Ricardo 100% prefers playing behind Albrighton. To be fair, any RB would.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Not sure if this has been posted yet, apologies if so, but this image gives a great idea of how we played yesterday. 

We were always looking for the attack and thoroughly deserved our win.

That is actually freaky. I looked through other matches from yesterday. These players positions are usually a bit all over the place....

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Not sure if this has been posted yet, apologies if so, but this image gives a great idea of how we played yesterday. 

We were always looking for the attack and thoroughly deserved our win.

If you watched Tielemans or Maddison for a moment when we were in possession, we had a clear sequence. 

They would both go to the sideline with the wingers tucking inside. This was to take advantage of Bournemouth playing a central midfield two and make three on two scenarios; (CM, FB and Winger for us) against CM and FB for Bournemouth 

20 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

If you watched Tielemans or Maddison for a moment when we were in possession, we had a clear sequence. 

They would both go to the sideline with the wingers tucking inside. This was to take advantage of Bournemouth playing a central midfield two and make three on two scenarios; (CM, FB and Winger for us) against CM and FB for Bournemouth 

I believe this is what Rodgers has been trying to achieve with Maddison and Perez ‘wide’. They’re supposed to be inside forwards.

Not surprised to see a perfect picture above when Maddison describes his teammates as ‘football people’. I think we have a lot of very intelligent players who are bought into what the manager is trying to do. Looking very good currently!

3 hours ago, murphy said:

I like Maddison a lot but one thing that irritated me last year was watching him jump out of tackles sometimes.  Nice to see him get his foot in, in the lead up to the third goal and also winning that header.  He'll never be Nobby Stiles but perhaps he is adding a little aggression to his game.

I rather he trusted his judgement and not get injured. He's playing by instinct and I trust that.

3 hours ago, murphy said:

It’s clear to me that he is getting stuck in more this season

i wonder if Brendan has made him understand that a straight creative no 10 role is looking a bit isolated in the modern game ...(unless you’re messi) .......l Southgate already told him England aren’t playing a no 10 type game. 

3 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

3-6-1.JPG.6546ed60523f4275726b9488936c3d1f.JPG

3-6-1 then.  thinking.JPG.e6b7930de2705a3cc707d369accb1dc5.JPG

Looks kind of like a piranha.  I like it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Babylon said:

Woeful was over the top, but he did nothing yesterday and that’s not the first time. The point was less about him and more about the others getting jumped on for average performance when certain players get glossed over.

Barnes is a real threat if you can get him running at goal, but he doesn’t seem to know how to create the space or link up down that side to create those sorts of chances in dangerous areas. It’s frustrating watching him and Chilwell all over the shop not supporting each other or making openings. Then you see Albrighton and Ricardo creating all sorts of space with neat little runs and overlaps etc.

Hopefully it comes with time, but he looks a little lost in those types of situations at the moment.

Yeah agreed, I am surprised I'm saying it but I think he looks better on the right wing as does Gray and Albrighton though. Let's hope Perez could benefit from playing on the left and cutting in?

1 hour ago, FOXSE said:

That is actually freaky. I looked through other matches from yesterday. These players positions are usually a bit all over the place....

It's crazy how regimented we were. 

47 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Picked that out a few times, great way they made space and got the ball up the pitch. Noticed so many times that the middle 2 were being bossed.  

16 hours ago, Corky said:

Wilson was fortunate not to be off himself, pulled back Maddison's shorts in the first half when he was going clear, dived and then sarcastically applauded in the aftermath.

Three yellows there.

Bit of a bugbear of mine that you often get more than two yellow card incidents from one player in the same incident and they only see the one yellow for it. Remember Sanchez v Fuchs a couple of years ago? Blatantly timewasted, blatantly feigned injury, constantly berating the referee and yet he only got the one yellow.

• Like 1

On 31/08/2019 at 18:00, Koke said:

7 years (+2) at Bournemouth and Eddie Howe still cant organise a defence

On 31/08/2019 at 18:02, pmcla26 said:

You’d think all those years of him playing and managing in the lower leagues that he’d have a bit more know how when it comes to defend

Always strikes me as odd whenever a manager has such a glaring weakness like that.

If it was me, I'd spend a lot my free time learning about the thing I struggled with, or better yet, hire a coach who's an expert in that particular thing, and ask him questions all the time.