Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Yes N'Didi

The Race for Top 6

2 hours ago, David Hankey said:

Why should we get "mullered" by Liverpool?

I mean I think he meant it tongue in cheek but if you want an honest answer, they’re the best team in this country, along with Man City, by an absolute country mile, and I think if they don’t put at least 3 past us, they’ll be disappointed. 

If we get anything, anything off of Liverpool at Anfield we can start to get excited. 

• Like 1

After 6 games we are 3rd in the table with 11 points. We've also played Wolves, Chelsea, Man United and Spurs, all of whom finished above us last season! That is a very good start. And we are still in the cup!

We also beat Bournemouth and Sheffield United, teams that finished below us - assuming the blades would have finished below us last season. If we play like we did today and beat / draw most of the teams that finished below us we are definitely capable of a top 6 finish. So we now have to prove we can do it!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Manini said:

I mean I think he meant it tongue in cheek but if you want an honest answer, they’re the best team in this country, along with Man City, by an absolute country mile, and I think if they don’t put at least 3 past us, they’ll be disappointed. 

If we get anything, anything off of Liverpool at Anfield we can start to get excited. 

We did ok there last season under Puel.

6 hours ago, Manini said:

We got something off both teams last season. 

I wouldn't say us losing there is a formality despite how hard a game it is.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

I never get posts like this, we are supporters! We should have high expectations, we should allow ourselves to get excited and dream about top 6 even top 4!

Whats the point in following a team if you can’t dream at the start of every season.

and so far we have played 3 of the ‘top 6’ with an aggregate score of 3-3 (two of those away). - Not sure how anything we’ve done so far this season says we are   Way off.

We are right in the thick of the battle, this season there is a top 2 who we are way off, but the rest are there for the taking and our first 11 is as good as anything outside of Man City and Liverpool.

Others fans can dream/get excited all they want. I would never tell anyone 'how to be a fan' nor say that there is only one correct way to support a team. But, personally I prefer to have cautious optimism rather than near-unbridled expectations.  

Personally, I'd prefer there to be less hype, especially externally, around the club only because it's so early and we haven't been tested against teams that park the bus, which is our Achilles heel. If we continue this trajectory in Feb, then maybe I'll start to get giddy. But right now, while optimistic, I'm going to temper the enthusiasm and go into every match with cautious optimism.  

Each to their own though

7 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

If we get past Liverpool and are still 3rd/4th, i'll allow myself to get excited what with the delicious run of fixtures we have after that. Until then I'm still cautious

I'd prefer to be losing to the "top 6" regularly if it means we pick up points against the teams we should be. Over the past few seasons it's been a bit of a mixed bag.

Like someone said above, we need to follow Saturday up with a win against Newcastle.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I'd prefer to be losing to the "top 6" regularly if it means we pick up points against the teams we should be. Over the past few seasons it's been a bit of a mixed bag.

Like someone said above, we need to follow Saturday up with a win against Newcastle.

Isnt it that " Mixed bag"  that makes Football. ?  Man.City Losing to Norwich,then trouncing Watford,while Norwich Dont get a look in against Burnley!!!

So ...We will draw/lose to Newcastle...then beat L'pool handing them their 1st defeat...Thats Football in the PL folks..!! :teehee:    

Makes English Football worth watching,even when ones own Team is on the receiving side.....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Isnt it that " Mixed bag"  that makes Football. ?  Man.City Losing to Norwich,then trouncing Watford,while Norwich Dont get a look in against Burnley!!!

So ...We will draw/lose to Newcastle...then beat L'pool handing them their 1st defeat...Thats Football in the PL folks..!! :teehee:    

Makes English Football worth watching,even when ones own Team is on the receiving side.....

Yes, absolutely, And it is nice when we beat teams that are "better" than us, like Saturday. But I do like it when we get the bread and butter of beating teams like Newcastle, Burnley, Watford and Bournemouth at home.

We haven't beaten Newcastle at home since 2016. Lost the last two encounters with them at home. Let's change that...and then beat Liverpool!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

It's fine if we get reamed by Liverpool, honestly - everyone else except Man City is going to, too.  Go into that one with nothing to lose, play freely and hope for the best.

They're one of the best in the world, I just hope we take the game to them and show what we can do

• Like 1

On 21/09/2019 at 20:56, David Hankey said:

Why should we get "mullered" by Liverpool?

On 21/09/2019 at 23:47, Manini said:

Pretty much this. 

On 22/09/2019 at 00:56, worthosoriginals said:

because he expects/wants it, otherwise what's he got to moan about,  be it football or life?

I don't expect or want it. What an odd comment to make. 

Anfield is probably the hardest ground on the planet to visit as an away side at the minute. While you don't want to just accept defeat it would be hard to lay into them if we lost there.

But then again just imagine if we did actually win there. Would be incredible.

3 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Anfield is probably the hardest ground on the planet to visit as an away side at the minute. While you don't want to just accept defeat it would be hard to lay into them if we lost there.

tricky one. we could really give it a go and get caught out and be on the receiving end of a walloping, or we could try and sit tight and get taken apart. OR we could just click on the day, get Vardy in behind a couple of times and give them a right surprise and actually come away with points.  Cue total meltdown of the we are going to win the league again variety on here.

Interestingly there was a comment by a Liverpool fan on the post spurs match HYS on BBC website where he said that towards the end, rather than wanting a City win to maintain a points gap between them and spurs he realised that he actually wanted spurs to hang on for the draw as we could potentially pose a bigger threat!  Hold that thought my man, it may just come to pass.

51 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Am I right in thinking we are the last team to go there and take any points?

• Like 1

On 22/09/2019 at 00:52, StriderHiryu said:

After 6 games we are 3rd in the table with 11 points. We've also played Wolves, Chelsea, Man United and Spurs, all of whom finished above us last season! That is a very good start. And we are still in the cup!

We also beat Bournemouth and Sheffield United, teams that finished below us - assuming the blades would have finished below us last season. If we play like we did today and beat / draw most of the teams that finished below us we are definitely capable of a top 6 finish. So we now have to prove we can do it!

We have to learn to win when playing poorly all top teams do. So far Sheff u win looking better than at the time and the Man u  defeat worse as they are currently a very poor side.

• Like 2