Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Everton 2-1 Post Match Thread

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

The mrs, 3 kids and the dog think there's something wrong with me...went absolutely mental, then slid along the living room floor on my knees lol

My wife told me I'm going to have a heart attack one day watching Leicester. Be a good way to go celebrating a winner like that, pacing up and down while VAR looked at it. Then jumping around like we've won the league again. 

Edited by browniefox
Spelling
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, casablancas said:

I know I will get slated for this. But here we go. I like Barnes and I think he’s really dangerous when he is in stride. But is he good enough week in week out for a title challenging team? Last few games I have scratched my head questioning this. I mean he’s safe as we literally have no one to replace him with other than Albrighton. I know he’s young and he’s a ‘one of our own’ but if I take my blue specs off I keep questioning this. 

If someone like van bergwin or say Everton were available would you take it? Is Barnes pound for pound good enough to be starting week in week out? 

You shouldn't get slated for having that opinion at all.

Barnes for me is one of our most dangerous players. He drives at defenders and causes a lot of problems. A lot of our good play is because of the way he plays. But at the same time, his overall goals and assists aren't what you'd expect from a wide forward playing for the 2nd placed team in the Premier League. The same you could also say of Perez too. But the thing is that Barnes is 21 years old and this is his first full season at the top level, having only come into the team last January. If you frame it that way, I would say he's developing very well indeed and this game time is only helping him.

If this was a Liverpool / Man City, they would for sure sign someone else and play them instead of Barnes. But that's because they have huge commercial revenues and currently expect to win titles. At some point it would be great to see Leicester become a team like that, but right now developing talent as building a team is the other way to make a great team without spending a fortune.

We could and maybe should still sign another wide player to compete with him, and if we make Champions League I expect we will 100% do that as we would need more depth in the squad anyway. But I don't think we *have* to sign someone right now. It would for sure though help if he could bag a few more goals! He gets the chances but doesn't put them away at the moment. But for me overall I still think he's a good player. He does need to improve but he has the time to do it. If he was playing like this age 25/26, then I'd have a different opinion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

You shouldn't get slated for having that opinion at all.

Barnes for me is one of our most dangerous players. He drives at defenders and causes a lot of problems. A lot of our good play is because of the way he plays. But at the same time, his overall goals and assists aren't what you'd expect from a wide forward playing for the 2nd placed team in the Premier League. The same you could also say of Perez too. But the thing is that Barnes is 21 years old and this is his first full season at the top level, having only come into the team last January. If you frame it that way, I would say he's developing very well indeed and this game time is only helping him.

If this was a Liverpool / Man City, they would for sure sign someone else and play them instead of Barnes. But that's because they have huge commercial revenues and currently expect to win titles. At some point it would be great to see Leicester become a team like that, but right now developing talent as building a team is the other way to make a great team without spending a fortune.

We could and maybe should still sign another wide player to compete with him, and if we make Champions League I expect we will 100% do that as we would need more depth in the squad anyway. But I don't think we *have* to sign someone right now. It would for sure though help if he could bag a few more goals! He gets the chances but doesn't put them away at the moment. But for me overall I still think he's a good player. He does need to improve but he has the time to do it. If he was playing like this age 25/26, then I'd have a different opinion.

That’s a very good reply mate. 

4 minutes ago, Anglodanglo said:

They should coach better then. Even in my school football team we were told 'play to the whistle' 

The ref doesn’t have to stop play when the lineman flags, he can choose to allow play to continue if he feels the decision isn’t right, so yes they should play to the whistle, and VAR hasn’t changed that.

Edited by foxes_rule1978
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, casablancas said:

I know I will get slated for this. But here we go. I like Barnes and I think he’s really dangerous when he is in stride. But is he good enough week in week out for a title challenging team? Last few games I have scratched my head questioning this. I mean he’s safe as we literally have no one to replace him with other than Albrighton. I know he’s young and he’s a ‘one of our own’ but if I take my blue specs off I keep questioning this. 

If someone like van bergwin or say Everton were available would you take it? Is Barnes pound for pound good enough to be starting week in week out? 

I'm inclined to agree. I like him, he's got a lot of ability and I'm sure he'll carry on improving but there are too many games where he's ineffective at the moment. I think his pace and directness make him an ideal impact sub and in time I can see him being a terrific player, I just don't think he's ready to be a starter for a team challenging for Europe yet.

• Like 1