Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dahnsouff

Amazon and football - the future?

Amazon and Premier League Football  

329 members have voted

1. 1. How was the quality?

• Excellent
    • Tolerable
    • Toilet
  2. 2. Was there lag?

• Nope
    • Just a smidgen
    • Jarring hell experience
  3. 3. The ability to pick from all matches was great, right?

• Wonderful, just wonderful
    • What? I can watch other matches on a tiny little phone screen too? Why didn't you say!

1 hour ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

I let a friend in Spain use my account for the Leicster game and he watched it all fine, without a VPN.

Thanks. I do not have UK VPN.   I might ask my brother in the UK to subscribe😁 and try!

26 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I feel like if amazon got more coverage they'd defo add it as a seperate channel and charge more than the base subscription fee though.

Wouldn’t they have a far larger worldwide audience though, therefore be able to provide a cheaper service.

3 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Wouldn’t they have a far larger worldwide audience though, therefore be able to provide a cheaper service.

They could offer a cheaper service, but the Premium on the Premier league in this country it would be madness if they settled on it just being a prime subscription fee of a tenner. 

30 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

They could offer a cheaper service, but the Premium on the Premier league in this country it would be madness if they settled on it just being a prime subscription fee of a tenner. 

Depends. If a large proportion of people subscribing to Prime for football end up spending more on Amazon -- especially buying movies and TV -- then it makes sense to keep it part of the basic service.

2 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Depends. If a large proportion of people subscribing to Prime for football end up spending more on Amazon -- especially buying movies and TV -- then it makes sense to keep it part of the basic service.

They could do that by you having to pay the base fee and an extra 15 quid for the Premier league, there is no way they'd leave it at a tenner, it would be daft.

1 hour ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

They've got McManaman on loan from BT. They were doing so well as well.

His agent must be a genius! Who thinks, hmm we've got Shearer and Hargreaves (both good pundits), let's get one more in ....I know, the guy everyone moans about whenever he is on BT.

10 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

They could do that by you having to pay the base fee and an extra 15 quid for the Premier league, there is no way they'd leave it at a tenner, it would be daft.

Not really. The whole point of subscription based models like Prime is to make people forget they are paying for it.

If you are paying £70 a year for Prime, but really only signed up for the Premier League, you are going to be slightly peeved every time you spend extra on a game, but won't give it a second thought if you spend a tenner on a movie.

Same if you signed up for Prime for next day shipping or videos -- you won't think twice about paying for a football match, but will be a little peeved with a late package or not enough free good movies.

Does Amazon want Premier League rights to sell games to existing customers? If so, they will put an extra price on them.

Does Amazon want Premier League rights to expand Prime membership and sell them other stuff? Then it won't cost extra.

So far, it looks like option 2, but I admit I don't live in Jeff Bezos's head.

2 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Not really. The whole point of subscription based models like Prime is to make people forget they are paying for it.

If you are paying £70 a year for Prime, but really only signed up for the Premier League, you are going to be slightly peeved every time you spend extra on a game, but won't give it a second thought if you spend a tenner on a movie.

Same if you signed up for Prime for next day shipping or videos -- you won't think twice about paying for a football match, but will be a little peeved with a late package or not enough free good movies.

Does Amazon want Premier League rights to sell games to existing customers? If so, they will put an extra price on them.

Does Amazon want Premier League rights to expand Prime membership and sell them other stuff? Then it won't cost extra.

So far, it looks like option 2, but I admit I don't live in Jeff Bezos's head.

I think you're being very naive, but we'll have to see. There is no way a massive company undercut the competition by that much for probably the most lucrative sports package in the country

42 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I think you're being very naive, but we'll have to see. There is no way a massive company undercut the competition by that much for probably the most lucrative sports package in the country

They seem to be using it as a means to sell other products. Get people to sign up to prime and they spend thousands of pounds through their site on everything from electronics, to clothing to even their groceries. They will make more money per person with that model than putting the fees up and having people not subscribe because it's too expensive. It's all about getting people tied into their platform than actually making money purely of the premier league.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

They seem to be using it as a means to sell other products. Get people to sign up to prime and they spend thousands of pounds through their site on everything from electronics, to clothing to even their groceries. They will make more money per person with that model than putting the fees up and having people not subscribe because it's too expensive. It's all about getting people tied into their platform than actually making money purely of the premier league.

Exactly, and it drives loyalty.

They can afford to pay big bucks for the rights and not even see it in their balance sheet.

Whether that's a good thing or not...well that's another story.

Edited by CloudFox
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Phube said:

Interestingly Prime is now available through the Sky Q box (since yesterday). 

So I started watching the game through the Sky Q box. Quality went from good to blocky to unwatchable and back again. 
Tried though the Prime app on my TV and crystal clear for the next 35 mins! 

And I have no idea why?

Where did you find out on the Sky Q box, is it just listed as a channel? 

7 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Where did you find out on the Sky Q box, is it just listed as a channel? 

Weirdly I saw the panel for The Boys on the Q front page and went “Whaaaat?” Then went to Apps and it’s there (like Netflix and YouTube) 

Then saw a post from Prime on Twitter stating as such.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, LVocey said:

His agent must be a genius! Who thinks, hmm we've got Shearer and Hargreaves (both good pundits), let's get one more in ....I know, the guy everyone moans about whenever he is on BT.

More like, "we better make sure we appeal to the fashionable team's fans - who can we get?"

It's the start of a major change. I think the CV period has proven that it is probably more profitable to these organisations to have all of these games available to watch... At some point in the near future there will be a streaming service for all games, even the 3pm if they remain. Football is changing and this will be one of the major developments over the next few years I think. 

Picture quality was superb again for me tonight.
Thought Heskey and Neville were good, not sure who the Scottish presenter was but he was ok.

The commentator was fine but Clinton Morrison as co comms was unbearable.