Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dahnsouff

Amazon and football - the future?

Amazon and Premier League Football  

329 members have voted

1. 1. How was the quality?

• Excellent
    • Tolerable
    • Toilet
  2. 2. Was there lag?

• Nope
    • Just a smidgen
    • Jarring hell experience
  3. 3. The ability to pick from all matches was great, right?

• Wonderful, just wonderful
    • What? I can watch other matches on a tiny little phone screen too? Why didn't you say!

3 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Totally agree with this.

A few years ago, Sky had the lot. Champions League, Premier League, FA Cup and League Cup.

You paid 1 subscription and knew what you got.

Then, it was decided that for fairness to customers, this monopoly had to be broken up.

Which guess what? Made the customer worse off as they had to pay a second subscription. 

I'm not saying Sky have the best coverage, but when one network shows everything you want to see, it's less hassle for the consumer.

We're ripped off with football enough in this country, compared to the rest of the world. Especially considering pre-covid, you could watch any game you wanted on TV everywhere apart from the UK.

The same thing is true of the streaming services for other TV shows too.

Companies having exclusive content to them that cannot be watched legally anywhere else in this manner isn't in any way a competitive market - it's a cartel and the consumer is getting shafted.

2 hours ago, Webbo said:

If sky had kept the monopoly they could have charged you more than it costs now. Also the monopoly worked against the clubs, who obviously want as much as possible for their matches. 

There's still a monopoly on individual matches now, there's just more than one broadcaster doing it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

The same thing is true of the streaming services for other TV shows too.

Companies having exclusive content to them that cannot be watched legally anywhere else in this manner isn't in any way a competitive market - it's a cartel and the consumer is getting shafted.

There's still a monopoly on individual matches now, there's just more than one broadcaster doing it.

Like @Webbo said earlier though, there's no perfect way around it.

Do Sky offer packages that include BT Sport? I think Virgin offer both don't they?

To be honest, I've not subscribed to any of them for years. I'll stream something, because it's easier.

If someone offered something where I could watch every game, I'd pay for it. It's easier and more reliable than streaming.

I won't sign up for multiple platforms and subscriptions though, it just costs too much.

I see what you're saying about other TV as well. That is more understandable though as a lot of these shows are produced by Amazon/Netflix, but still frustrating. 

I've only seen the game earlier because I got a free month trial with Amazon. 

10 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Like @Webbo said earlier though, there's no perfect way around it.

Do Sky offer packages that include BT Sport? I think Virgin offer both don't they?

To be honest, I've not subscribed to any of them for years. I'll stream something, because it's easier.

If someone offered something where I could watch every game, I'd pay for it. It's easier and more reliable than streaming.

I won't sign up for multiple platforms and subscriptions though, it just costs too much.

I see what you're saying about other TV as well. That is more understandable though as a lot of these shows are produced by Amazon/Netflix, but still frustrating. 

I've only seen the game earlier because I got a free month trial with Amazon. 

A possible solution would be, rather than bidding for the match packages, to offer the rights up for each match/match package for an agreed-upon fixed sum, and then bid based on the price to the consumer - lowest bid wins. The TV companies still get their revenue, as do the clubs, and the consumer benefits too as there actually is competition based on consumer price for each "product" - the way a market is supposed to work.

No comparison between it and now tv, now tv caps at 720p and has all sorts of technical issues..

Plus I prefer Shearer an actual neutral pundit.

Amazon also keep vods up, I missed first 10 minutes and had an option to watch from the start, on a technical level its a night and day difference.

Sky and BT just feel like they are using a outdated platform, the UK is lagging behind on media sadly, we still too hooked on schedule tv.

Also even if amazon raise prices, they would have to go up by about 500% to get to BT/sky levels.  Many people have prime anyway for deliveries, meaning any EPL football is effectively free.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 4

The delay through streaming is only a problem when it is being broadcast live else where through the airwaves. An example was the BBCs coverage of the world cup where people who were watching it through the aerials were noisily celebrating leaving it obvious to the iPlayer viewers next door that there was about to be a goal.

Because the Prime games are only broadcast through that platform I can't really see why it's an issue as everyone will have the same delay. You could be a complete purist though and hate the thought of even the tiniest delay...

Have Sky Sports through Now TV, and the Amazon picture and coverage is incomparable. The Amazon quality is superb, no hint of lag (through the TV app or iPad) same as was noted in the previous games shown by Amazon.

Realise this may vary based on app, viewing platform, and broadband but :appl:

1 hour ago, Royston. said:

Yes cos otherwise I'd have had no idea...

honestly did not occur to me how clever a finish it was from vardy, think that is point of punditry to show you things you otherwise miss

as opposed to skysports just say most clickbait thing you can which i can point out myself; i.e. keane just getting irate about lack of passion

12 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Totally agree with this.

A few years ago, Sky had the lot. Champions League, Premier League, FA Cup and League Cup.

You paid 1 subscription and knew what you got.

Then, it was decided that for fairness to customers, this monopoly had to be broken up.

Which guess what? Made the customer worse off as they had to pay a second subscription. 

I'm not saying Sky have the best coverage, but when one network shows everything you want to see, it's less hassle for the consumer.

We're ripped off with football enough in this country, compared to the rest of the world. Especially considering pre-covid, you could watch any game you wanted on TV everywhere apart from the UK.

If they wanted real competition every game for broadcast should be available to all media outlets for a fee then it woulfd be upto each media outlet to offer the best deal to get customers.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

No comparison between it and now tv, now tv caps at 720p and has all sorts of technical issues..

Plus I prefer Shearer an actual neutral pundit.

Amazon also keep vods up, I missed first 10 minutes and had an option to watch from the start, on a technical level its a night and day difference.

Sky and BT just feel like they are using a outdated platform, the UK is lagging behind on media sadly, we still too hooked on schedule tv.

Also even if amazon raise prices, they would have to go up by about 500% to get to BT/sky levels.  Many people have prime anyway for deliveries, meaning any EPL football is effectively free.

One thing I will say is that I can't see amazon raising their prices even if they were to get all the fixtures. My prime subscription means that any online shopping I do I do through amazon because it's convenient, cheap and fast. They get several times more money through me each month than sky and bt do through this model. They are using the premier league to get prime subscriptions knowing that it will lead to people spending more money through them. It's a clever model but if it keeps football cheap I'm all for it!

Less keen on the coverage today. Joe Cole describing Chelsea as "we" and saying how amazing it is that Chilwell has settled in well after joining a "big club" from Leicester, like it's some huge step up from a team that finished about 2 points behind Chelsea last season. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox

5 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Less keen on the coverage today. Joe Cole describing Chelsea as "we" and saying how amazing it is that Chilwell has settled in well after joining a "big club" from Leicester, like it's some huge step up from a team that finished about 2 points behind Chelsea last season. 

So what you're saying is we only like coverage if they are nice about us? lol

Interestingly Prime is now available through the Sky Q box (since yesterday). 

So I started watching the game through the Sky Q box. Quality went from good to blocky to unwatchable and back again. 
Tried though the Prime app on my TV and crystal clear for the next 35 mins! 

And I have no idea why?

Edited by Phube

46 minutes ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

I let a friend in Spain use my account for the Leicster game and he watched it all fine, without a VPN.

When I was in the Canaries in the summer, I used my Prime to download and watch various things. It didn’t seem to bother it being abroad. 

• Like 1

On 14/12/2020 at 06:22, Col city fan said:

I didn’t find the picture as clear as SKY. 
It’s good, but not as clear

What I did enjoy was hearing Shearer doing the in-game punditry 

So much better than some of the dross they get on SKY or BT.

I guess it depends on your internet and hardware. I had 4k all the way through.

• Like 1