Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Izzy

Villa (A) Pre-Match Thread

12 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Chance for a nice cushion, not thinking about Liverpool to be honest... 

And gives us a real incentive to get the win. 

I’ve been nervous about this game. Villa have been playing better than results suggest, but we have the quality to get the win, especially if they try to take the game to us. 

I think tight game 2-1 win

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, One Arm Babba said:

And gives us a real incentive to get the win. 

I’ve been nervous about this game. Villa have been playing better than results suggest, but we have the quality to get the win, especially if they try to take the game to us. 

I think tight game 2-1 win

I agree. I think Aston Villa are a better team than their position suggests so maybe we need to rotate a couple of players since we seemed a little flat when we played Watford. 

12 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

This is going to be a difficult game.  Villa has been playing better and better and starting to get results - and they will - they are a solid side with some good players like Grealish, McGinn and Mings.  They are coming together after a big transfer windown in August.  Unless we are at our best (eg. the midweek performance would not be good enough), I am afraid we could well be disappointed.   

Agree this could be tricky. Struggling to think of a time I've ever seen us play well at Villa Park  (Semi-finals included).

Got a feeling we'll be up against it today. But win it, and we're serious title contenders...

I think he will, even if he starts with the same line-up. Rogers is pragmatic and not wedded to one system or tactic, which is the sign of a really good manager. Villa will be hugely up for this one and we will need to play better than in  either of our last two games to beat them but with the uncertainty about Rogers put to rest I sense a new impetus and a stronger performance.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mr Weller said:

I think he will, even if he starts with the same line-up. Rogers is pragmatic and not wedded to one system or tactic, which is the sign of a really good manager. Villa will be hugely up for this one and we will need to play better than in  either of our last two games to beat them but with the uncertainty about Rogers put to rest I sense a new impetus and a stronger performance.

The players and staff weren’t uncertain ............. just dropped off a bit last couple games and need to get it back today !

Guest An Sionnach

I think its time for Barnes and Perez to start taking the chances that will come their way, We have the best defence and a creative midfield . If they start scoring consistently then a top three finish is almost certain.

This game is now a major opportunity to put a bit of distance between us and Man City. If we want a champions league spot then we really need to win, a win today would be a monumental statement and we could be sat six points clear of third...... crazy times! 

• Like 3

Always thought it was going to be a tough one, they don't get hammered by anyone.

We've not been bad in our last two games but we've not been at our best. We looked tired against Watford but listened to a villa podcast earlier and apparently they were the same against Chelsea. It may be the time to rotate a couple.

I'm hoping Chilwell is fit, Fuchs was solid against Watford but also looked the chink in the armour to be exploited late on.

In Brendan we trust.

Oooooh yer bod!! Why is this game niggling me?

I have a feeling Villa are going to be more boisterous than Everton were, will the real Michael Oliver please stand up, please stand up and please check the VAR Monitor if you can...(that's them Eminem lyrics that is) 

We may have to tire them out again to get the result, hopefully not though. 

I'm in agreement with the posters looking for an unchanged team, bar Chilwell, decision made on his fitness update. 

Brendan will make the right choice, right? 

Still seems a tad early for the rotation for the starting 11.

I'd definitely use all 3 subs and manage 'rotation' from the bench, but keep the winning formula for now.

Although after both Watford and Brighton games, those games were won when the formula was changed...so...oh I don't know. 

Hey, those results from yesterday though?...forget them, seriously, they're gone regardless of our result. 

Edited by Danny Clender
  • Like 1

Guest bennytwohats
2 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Agree this could be tricky. Struggling to think of a time I've ever seen us play well at Villa Park  (Semi-finals included).

Got a feeling we'll be up against it today. But win it, and we're serious title contenders...

The closest thing to title contenders maybe, but the gap to Liverpool isn’t getting any smaller, and there is little to suggest that it will.

I am remembering how nervous and exciting I got in 2015/16.  This season, Liverpool are keeping the mood in check to an extent.

Could be a tricky game today.  Their midfield has a lot about it.

We can't call upon the services of Nathan Dyer off the bench today.  We have far better players on the bench now.

19 minutes ago, bennytwohats said:

The closest thing to title contenders maybe, but the gap to Liverpool isn’t getting any smaller, and there is little to suggest that it will.

The league is Liverpools number one target, They will give up everything else to win the league this season. 

If we're going to be in with a shout come May we need to keep up the pressure. 

That means winning games like today but also beating them on Boxing Day. 

There's still a lot of games to play with twists and turns. 

The number of games Liverpool have to play has to take it's toll on them eventually. 

We just need to be there to capitalize when that happens.