Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox 4 Life

Liverpool (H) Boxing Day Pre Match Thread

To our youngest fans, Man City and Chelsea have been the top club in recent years.

Slightly older fans will remember the years of domination by Man Utd and Arsenal.

But to us the "wrong side of 50", it was first Leeds and then Liverpool that really dominated English football.   From 1975 to 1990 Liverpool were top dogs.

The best spectacle was always City's Blue and White,against Liverpool's all red, on a beautiful green pitch.    I've always thought it the perfect juxtaposition of colours.

(In fairness to Liverpool, they have usually played in all red, rather than a silly yellow or grey strip.)

And we've had a pretty decent record against them.

Can't wait to Boxing Day.    Bring it on!!!

Edited by worth_the_wait
  • Like 3

On 12/05/2019 at 20:04, Illusion35 said:

Yellow was definitely nothing - what’s the point of chucking them in the crowd then?! Kit jealous at all that we only got a yellow one rather than other colours 😉

On 17/08/2019 at 11:59, Shane said:

Would prefer the 4-3-3 or 4-1-4-1 but maybe Praet is the missing piece in the puzzle for Rodgers diamond formation. 

28 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Our arse is getting smacked

I dont think so 2 1 city

• Like 1

It's a tricky one for Brendan. Last season, and earlier this season he played 2 DMs against the big teams - Ndidi and Choudry. With that setup and our limited wingers, we don't quite have the creativity to break the top teams down, and we lost them all by a single (and often contenious) goal.

Against Man City he decided to let us try play our own game, and we got completed schooled. Without the solidity that 2 DMs give us we were torn to shreds attack after attack.

What does he do this time? Neither appoach has born fruit against the big teams, although playing with 2 DMs was closer and we always have Vardy.

The first teamers are tired, and Liverpool are on the crest of a wave and have just been crowned World Champions.

Whatever happens we as fans shouldn't get too disheartened, we could take any approach to the game and just get beaten by a team that are in much better place than we are, four years of development ahead of us. But whatever happens we will be minimum 3rd place in the Premier League on Boxing day, with the toughest matches behind us, and as LCFC fans, the very fact we could be 'knocked out the PL title race' is amazing progress it hasn't been this good for 40+ years, if ever.

Edited by jim5000
  • Like 1

On 23/12/2019 at 03:58, An Sionnach said:

If we put up a strong performance against Liverpool and lose its not the end of the world. They are now the world champions. It's the need to get back on track after three pretty average showings. If we do that we can take three points off West Ham and get right back in the groove.

Would rather a poor performance and win. 

• Like 2

I think either playing a diamond or going three at the back is key in this one. We can't afford them to have 2 on one situations with mane and Robertson or salah and TAA. So we need either a fullback and one CB to protect one side if we play three at the back or a midfielder if we play a diamond with nacho and Vardy there to limit their ability to press. 

1 hour ago, shailen said:

I think either playing a diamond or going three at the back is key in this one. We can't afford them to have 2 on one situations with mane and Robertson or salah and TAA. So we need either a fullback and one CB to protect one side if we play three at the back or a midfielder if we play a diamond with nacho and Vardy there to limit their ability to press. 

They don’t tend to play two on ones with their full backs..... mane and Salah come inside and leave the flanks to the full backs 

a diamond would leave our centre backs possibly left  2 v 2 with firmino and one of Salah/mane ..... cannot see that happening .......

Would like to see Hamza start instead of Youri.

and he do what he did against Man City earlier this year.

also rather have pace on the wings try and exploit the wing backs playing like wingers

Play with a high intensity and hope they are fooked from the games and travel they have just done. 

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Funny old game .... this time last year, puel’s ‘masterful tactical approach’ got us wins against Chelsea and Man City ..... now we can’t work out how to set up to get a draw against the top 2!  

Quite difficult to draw against ourselves to be fair.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, shailen said:

Boooo.. coming from a female on Xmas Day ... I will say this only once! NO Diamonds please! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Funny old game .... this time last year, puel’s ‘masterful tactical approach’ got us wins against Chelsea and Man City ..... now we can’t work out how to set up to get a draw against the top 2!  

That's an interesting point. I was told by a Liverpool fan who knows his football that Rogers was great at setting up his teams to play a certain way. But when the plan went array he wasn't very good at changing things to rescue the situation. This seems to be borne out by recent adverse results.

This is an area where Puel was excellent at rescuing results from the jaws of defeat. Where we excelled in the 2nd half of games and scored late to win or draw games.

Reading the game quicker and reacting sooner is an area BR needs to improve on. As your never going to impose yourself on teams continuously unless your at that level of Man City, Barca etc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

That's an interesting point. I was told by a Liverpool fan who knows his football that Rogers was great at setting up his teams to play a certain way. But when the plan went array he wasn't very good at changing things to rescue the situation. This seems to be borne out by recent adverse results.

This is an area where Puel was excellent at rescuing results from the jaws of defeat. Where we excelled in the 2nd half of games and scored late to win or draw games.

Reading the game quicker and reacting sooner is an area BR needs to improve on. As your never going to impose yourself on teams continuously unless your at that level of Man City, Barca etc. 

I would say that Rodgers ha spent most of the season tweaking stuff to get us into the ascendancy..... hence our Usual second half advantage 

Saturday was the first time I hadn’t seen any plan B which is why I questioned what I’d seen 

2 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

Shame Puel didn't work his magic against Newport County and all of those other bottom six sides.  

• Like 4