Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

James Maddison

5 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

When Man United signed Harry we had just finished below them, whereas this summer we will most likely finish above them. I wouldn't be surprised if Harry had thought he could achieve more success this season with them. Not many would've had us finishing above them at the time. But in comparison we have a better manager, the new training ground, one of the best young teams in Europe and a wide scale philosophy that is being implemented throughout our clubs entire infrastructure. We are everything Man United currently aspire to be, the circumstances are considerably different since we have implemented our philosophy through Brendan. All they have is the ability to financially out muscle us, but we have the things that matter in a sporting sense. And we're hardly tight fisted ourselves, any player in world football know that they can come and play for us at the top level in an encouraging footballing environment for a club that takes care of its players and makes them better, all whilst earning millions. In a footballing sense, they're a step down from us and we're operating admirably. Follow the gung ho Man United philosophy and you end up with a team full of Pogba characters. They dug their own grave when they started selling players like Evans for peanuts whilst spending substantial amounts on mercenaries. No one leaves this Leicester for that United for footballing reasons. I believe footballing reasons were equally important for Maguire, he just made a misjudgement like a lot of people did. If Maddison left for them now it wouldn't be for footballing reasons. Sorry to go on, I'm just not very keen on Man U lol

Anyone who doesn't think Man Utd is an attractive proposition for any player of a club our size needs to think again. Everyone on here says they are crap yet they are 5th and not that far away from the top 4. Get in a better manager and a couple more transfer windows and they will be there or there abouts. Their history and the prestige of playing for one of the biggest club sides in the world counts for a lot as does the obscene wages they pay their players plus the enhanced image rights etc you get for being a player at such a club with a world wide following.

I completely empathise with your dislike of them as a club and nothing is a certainty but thinking that all they have over us is financial muscle is wide of the mark.

Edited by reynard
  • Like 2

Just now, reynard said:

Anyone who doesn't think Man Utd is an attarctive proposition for any player of a club our size needs to think again. Everyone on here says they are crap yet they are 5th and not that far away from the top 4. Get in a better manager and a couple more transfer windows and they will be there or there abouts. Their history and the prestige of playing for one of the biggest club sides in the world counts for a lot as does the obscene wages they pay their players plus the enhanced image rights etc you get for being a player at such a club with a world wide following.

I completely empathise with your dislike of them as a club and nothing is a certainty but thinking that all they have over us is financial muscle is wide of the mark.

Alas, I agree with you. Don’t like their "throw shit until it sticks" approach of managing their club, but it is what it is.

28 minutes ago, reynard said:

Anyone who doesn't think Man Utd is an attractive proposition for any player of a club our size needs to think again. Everyone on here says they are crap yet they are 5th and not that far away from the top 4. Get in a better manager and a couple more transfer windows and they will be there or there abouts. Their history and the prestige of playing for one of the biggest club sides in the world counts for a lot as does the obscene wages they pay their players plus the enhanced image rights etc you get for being a player at such a club with a world wide following.

Their prestige might still attract many players but I think it would also be fair to state that their prestige is continually waning. 

Yes, they have been in the European spots since Ferguson’s retirement but they have also finished under Man City every season and have had to endure some turbulent moments. OGS, will at best, perhaps keep them around this area but I don’t think that he will be the one to return them to the league title or deliver a champions league. Look at Spurs, they’ve been occupying the space just about Man U over the last few seasons and also reached a champions league final but I wouldn’t say that they are just one good manager or some signings anyway from winning the league. It’s easy to say that good managers and signings would bring more success but in reality, who do Man U bring in as a manager to radically improve things and what kind of players can/should they bring in? 

If anything, a look at Arsenal and Spurs should demonstrate how possible it is to slip down the table when you’re aiming and hoping for fourth or third. There also seems to be a bit of a toxic atmosphere at Man U and I think that this would be a further mark of concern.

The more that their previous success becomes a distant memory the less an attractive footballing destination it will become. I know they still have the financial clout but I can honestly see them going through a barren era akin to Liverpool and I would be surprised to see them win the league again within the next decade. 

28 minutes ago, reynard said:

I get that they are attractive just for simply being Man United, they are unfortunately an elite football club. My point was that behind the scenes they are a circus, you don't spend 80m on a player on the basis of a good world cup performance a year prior otherwise. They could've signed him and Maddison for less than 40 million if their scouting wasn't awful. They are in need of a clear out of overpaid footballers and an evaluation of their philosophy on every level, regardless of their position in the league. I heard Lingard is on 100k a week! It'll take years to get rid of him, whoever gave him that contract wants shooting. They might be 5th (but so were Sheffield United a couple of weeks ago), and they are still an elite club, but they aren't the monster they used to be and behind their wall of history lies a gung ho club philosophy that Fergie would be ashamed of. Their problem is that they were shown how to run a club to perfection and decided to go a different way because their board of directors wrongly thought they knew better. They may as well have just stuck with David Moyes lol

• Like 2

Their fans are so deluded if they think we’d remotely consider it in January. Why sell a player for £80m when a half decent champions league run could net you near enough that amount? 

You get champions league and then sell him if he wants to go.

It’s the media circus that is pushing this. 

Manchester United have one of the largest fan bases in the world. The media create hype and fans flock to click bats articles to read the guff unfortunately. 

If you speak to any semi knowledgable fan, they know that we won’t sell in January. If we sell in the summer, it would hinge on us getting someone like Grealish as a replacement I’d guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sly said:

It’s the media circus that is pushing this. 

Manchester United have one of the largest fan bases in the world. The media create hype and fans flock to click bats articles to read the guff unfortunately. 

If you speak to any semi knowledgable fan, they know that we won’t sell in January. If we sell in the summer, it would hinge on us getting someone like Grealish as a replacement I’d guess.

Unfortunately this is now the norm for us, every transfer window is the same and it’ll remain the same whilst we continue to have good young players playing for us, Maddison is the latest asset who the media want playing at a “bigger” club, eventually he’ll go and then they’ll move onto another of our young stars.

7 hours ago, Babylon said:

Their fans are so deluded if they think we’d remotely consider it in January. Why sell a player for £80m when a half decent champions league run could net you near enough that amount? 

Would it though?

Thought we earnt £75m for reaching the QFs but only because we were the last English team and hoovered most of the TV rights.

People need to relax.

The management position (At Leicester City) has been made clear. No-one we do not want to leave, leaves.

Manchester United have actually not come out and said they want him*, although admittedly that would be the last 10% of the transfer process

Sky Sports/Other click driven news outlets just publish what gets clicks from the worldwide "fan" / "fashion" base

*AFAIK

41 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Would it though?

Thought we earnt £75m for reaching the QFs but only because we were the last English team and hoovered most of the TV rights.

If we have a decent run, yes it could. A trip to the quarters made Man U 94 million euros, despite Spurs and Liverpool getting to the final. 

The prize money keeps changing don't forget, we won't get as much because there are now large amounts based on coefficient (what a fix), but a last 16 place could net you £60-£70m.