Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

James Maddison

2 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I think most footballers, if they are the confident type with a bit of ego thrown in, believe they are the player that will make the difference and return a club like United back to the top. A huge raise in salary also helps. So yes, unfortunately they will always be tempted.

You are probably right. I just don't have that mindset and forget that others do. 

1 hour ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I think most footballers, if they are the confident type with a bit of ego thrown in, believe they are the player that will make the difference and return a club like United back to the top. A huge raise in salary also helps. So yes, unfortunately they will always be tempted.

Although not all footballers and agents are the same, the prospect of having your wages tripled and receiving bonuses from transfers is going to appeal.

Like many young, rich people, Maddison likes to spend his money (that backpack!). But he does seem like a sensible, level-headed bloke, so he'll know we're the better prospect right now and probably for the next season or so.

The Mirror reckons he's on £55k per week, so £165k per week for one of their best players shouldn't be beyond a club who regularly occupies our current position. If we win a pot and get CL football this season though, the owners probably need to capitalise on it by putting more money in from King Power for the shirt sponsorship, or bag a new big money deal instead. More corporate sponsorships and bigger corporate sponsorships, tie-ups, partnerships, etc. could elevate us to the level that helps prevent the likes of Man Utd from being able to swoop in and offer humongous sums to our players, even though we're in a better position than them. Or perhaps I'm being too ambitious.

• Like 1

On 05/01/2020 at 06:54, lgfualol said:

Journos are shite, we have set the bar with selling Maguire for £80m. Why would we accept anything less.

They work in tandem with player agents to create doubt in players’ minds, to cause a stir, to make things out of nothing, so that they sell stories and to help their agent mates earn their million pound commissions.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

Although not all footballers and agents are the same, the prospect of having your wages tripled and receiving bonuses from transfers is going to appeal.

Like many young, rich people, Maddison likes to spend his money (that backpack!). But he does seem like a sensible, level-headed bloke, so he'll know we're the better prospect right now and probably for the next season or so.

The Mirror reckons he's on £55k per week, so £165k per week for one of their best players shouldn't be beyond a club who regularly occupies our current position. If we win a pot and get CL football this season though, the owners probably need to capitalise on it by putting more money in from King Power for the shirt sponsorship, or bag a new big money deal instead. More corporate sponsorships and bigger corporate sponsorships, tie-ups, partnerships, etc. could elevate us to the level that helps prevent the likes of Man Utd from being able to swoop in and offer humongous sums to our players, even though we're in a better position than them. Or perhaps I'm being too ambitious.

The problem is, if every story ends up with a salary increase for our players, we could go broke very quickly. It will cause ripple effects as well - how would the likes of Vardy, Chilwell, Ricardo, Ndidi and Tielemans feel if Maddison gets his salary tripled? It is a dangerous game not just for Leicester City but also the whole league - particularly clubs with less resources. The league should really look into how the Americans run their sports - they make sure the owners dont outdo each other too much on this front by having salary caps, different styles of contracts (like the NBA) ... etc

As a start, I would ban teams being able to buy players from the same division mid season? How is that for competition? If you can’t beat them, buy them out! It is time the league really looks into this although I understand it is run by the elite clubs in reality ...

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, mad biker said:

Would it be possible to separate the transfer talk topics into in's and out's headings PLEASE,  that way we can avoid having to even see total clap trap like this !!!!!

the out section should be v small MB .......  but it won’t be .......

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 1

Liverpool are the only one of the so called 'big' six not trying to unsettle our players.

Very interesting that.........    Lets all put the boot in little old Leicester and stop them joining our comfy cavern. 

On 05/01/2020 at 07:09, TrentFox said:

Without wishing to sound heartless, you mean he’s having to do what many people do every day - but without the financial security that he has .... and therefore all the additional stress that brings? Wow. I bet he and the hired help he can afford must be at breaking point having to attend a parent’s evening twice a year whilst holding down a job that demands three hours a day of his time. 

As much as I agree with what your saying, if you believe footballers only do 3 hours a day Is seriously off the mark.

3 hours ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

As much as I agree with what your saying, if you believe footballers only do 3 hours a day Is seriously off the mark.

Possibly over-egging making a point. But I’ll still wager that 90% of people on this forum work longer hours. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mozartfox said:

Liverpool are the only one of the so called 'big' six not trying to unsettle our players.

Very interesting that.........    Lets all put the boot in little old Leicester and stop them joining our comfy cavern. 

And that's because their squad is virtually perfect

6 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

The problem is, if every story ends up with a salary increase for our players, we could go broke very quickly. It will cause ripple effects as well - how would the likes of Vardy, Chilwell, Ricardo, Ndidi and Tielemans feel if Maddison gets his salary tripled? It is a dangerous game not just for Leicester City but also the whole league - particularly clubs with less resources. The league should really look into how the Americans run their sports - they make sure the owners dont outdo each other too much on this front by having salary caps, different styles of contracts (like the NBA) ... etc

As a start, I would ban teams being able to buy players from the same division mid season? How is that for competition? If you can’t beat them, buy them out! It is time the league really looks into this although I understand it is run by the elite clubs in reality ...

This is essentially why the transfer window was brought in, in the first place. Prior to that it was a free for all, with only the last few weeks of the season being "closed season" . It was not unusual for a team to try and prise away a rivals best assets in the closing stages of a season, or simply buy in replacements for injuries etc at any time. The system now is far better than it used to be.  Funny how its the clubs with the deepest pockets that are the ones doing the most moaning about the windows and are now complaining that shutting up shop before the season starts is depriving them of fair competition against foreign clubs, whose summer window does not close until September.

2 hours ago, TrentFox said:

Possibly over-egging making a point. But I’ll still wager that 90% of people on this forum work longer hours. 

Do you mean being at work or actually working? :unsure: :whistle: :ph34r:

21 hours ago, Joefox said:

In what world do Man U value Maddison at 45 million? He won’t be going anywhere for less that 100 million. Let’s make it 130 if they want him in Jan.

Whats happened to Man U seriously? Their transfer policy these days is embarrassing.

I think Man U are living in the past where they could buy whichever player they wanted at any time - that was the cornerstone of their success under Ferguson. They still see us as insignificant club whose players will be desperate to play for them. What they've failed to appreciate is that, unlike back in the Ferguson days, we, along with other mid sized PL clubs, have lots of money too now so we can't be pushed about. Plus of course our current first team is streets better than theirs. Yet still you get Solskjaer coming out with arrogant claptrap along the lines of every other manager being jealous because he manages Man U. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 2

Oh the Sky Sports News coverage on this is great.  lol

They just exclusively revealed that Manchester United have identified who they want.

• Haha 1

Ian McGarry says on the Transfer Window podcast the club are struggling to agree contract terms.

Maddison and agent reportedly want a release clause + more than the £120k/week parity with top earner Vardy.

That report, coupled with the Sky United interest, is probably all designed to get Leicester to put their money where their mouth is. 

I do find it bizarre that it is Maddison and Chilwell (and last season, Maguire) who seem to attract the most media attention in terms of transfers. Ndidi, Soyuncu, Ricardo, Tielemans, Evans and Vardy are significantly more important to us IMO.

1 minute ago, jeffschlupp said:

Ian McGarry says on the Transfer Window podcast the club are struggling to agree contract terms.

Maddison and agent reportedly want a release clause + more than the £120k/week parity with top earner Vardy.

That report, coupled with the Sky United interest, is probably all designed to get Leicester to put their money where their mouth is. 

I do find it bizarre that it is Maddison and Chilwell (and last season, Maguire) who seem to attract the most media attention in terms of transfers. Ndidi, Soyuncu, Ricardo, Tielemans, Evans and Vardy are significantly more important to us IMO.

Young and English, that's why

2 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

I would argue that Maddison is one of our most important players, more so than Tielemans and probably less replaceable than Ricardo, Evan's and Soyuncu.

• Like 3

Just now, manders86 said:

I would argue that Maddison is one of our most important players, more so than Tielemans and probably less replaceable than Ricardo, Evan's and Soyuncu.

Got to be Ricardo, all day, all night and well into next week, for me. :worship:

4 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

This is only hearsay say at the moment but I have no problems with increasing wages for our top players provided that it is linked to performance (eg CL qualification).

Release clauses are a no-no though, virtually impossible to pitch right and can end up with players going for a song like Kante.

If anyone is arrogant enough to think we'd sell Maddison in January at all, let alone in exchange for a player like Lingard, they may as well just stop watching football. 

United are definitely interested, but they will have to wait until the Summer at best.