Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

West Ham Home - Post Match Thread (4-1)

Great - so we decided to have a nap, and the bloody alarm didn't go off :(   (*what's wrong with her?* *There was football on sir, and she missed it* (Re: Tackleberry in Police academy))

So, now there's a question - do we watch the highlights vid at the beginning of this post, or wait and watch MOTD first?

3 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

That was a complete performance for me.

Ndidi bossed it even though he was only giving 70% lol 

Also, what is it with shit refs and soft pens when we play West Ham? Lads deserve their clean sheet bonus tonight because that was never a penalty.

Seriously, what is the point of VAR if it doesn't overturn that decision? 

• Like 2

That was a fantastic performance and what we've all been crying out for. The passing was more direct and a lot quicker, the wingers were taking on their men and getting involved inside the box. A much more pleasing performance and we could have easily had 5 or 6 by the end. 

However, that penalty award for West Ham was utterly ridiculous. If Ndidi had thrown himself to the ground you could have easily argued it was a foul in our favour as well. The ref has absolutely bottled it, anywhere else on the pitch and that's play on and get up.

• Like 2

Basically every issue we’ve had in recent weeks was rectified tonight. 

-Much faster tempo offensively.

-Chilwell and Tielemans much better. Especially Youri, absolutely bossed it from start to finish. 

-Really tight at the back. Barring a horrendous penalty call. 

Pleased with that. Great that Barnes and Perez played so well. Onto the next.

• Like 2

Very very good tonight. Performance was up their with some of our best performances this season. Iheanacho looked really good and his performances cannot be ignored. Ricardo is a hell of a player who has acceleration over 5 yards quicker than any player in this league. Tielemans and Maddison were also excellent tonight and back to their best. Hopefully our season is back on track now. 

Agreed Mendy was impressive. What surprised me most was how often he was getting into advanced positions and contributing in the attacking phase. Contrast to Ndidi who you rarely see standing right on the edge of the box or in the box to provide a cross. 

Shows that maybe the two could co exist in a midfield two if the need arose. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Thought that Tielemans was absolutely brilliant tonight. When his passing is crisp and accurate like that, it makes a huge difference by opening teams up and creating space for others.

One thing you have to say about TIelemans is that when he has a good game, it feels like the enitre team improves by 10-20%. Equally when he has a stinker, it effects the whole team. Today he played it quicker, didn't give it away carelessly and was making those raking forward passes a lot more often. It was also noticeable that he was charging down in the offensive press phase of the game like he was in October / November time. He probably needed that little bit of time out of the team to come back in that manner.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Thought that Tielemans was absolutely brilliant tonight. When his passing is crisp and accurate like that, it makes a huge difference by opening teams up and creating space for others.

Agree. It adds so much uncertainty for defences as well. Sometimes the ball ends up going to a completely different player to what was expected. And that's on the TV screen! So happy we have him and very satisfying to watch.

3 minutes ago, TazzerFox said:

What surprised me most was how often he was getting into advanced positions and contributing in the attacking phase. 

I thought exactly the same. I knew how tidy and tick-over he could be in defensive positions but I've not taken note of him in more advanced roles before. And, as you say, he was contributing to our moves around the box.Looked like a more complete player than I thought he was.

Maybe we should be offering him an extension??

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

On MOTD now, I still can’t see how theirs was a penalty lol 

Is that the second penalty given away this season for having one of our players foot stood on?

once that penalty was given by the ref VAR isn’t going to overrule it unless there was no contact at all 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Also bossing players around the pitch like the leader we’ve badly needed in recent weeks 

Overall, a really good performance. The quality of the team shone through in the second half against a side that was outclassed in first half, but then brought out the physical side in the second half. Amazed it took so long for the referee to produce a yellow card to a West Ham player.

A relatively comfortable win, and was especially pleased for Tielemans and Chilwell, who we all know had been below par for some time but really pulled it out the bag today. A couple of things to still work, such as our ineffective set pieces (maybe get someone else to take corners) and Kasper's diabolical distribution, but this is a massive step in the right direction to being back to our best.

But to keep things in perspective, 14 points ahead of 5th heading into February? I'd have bitten that hand clean off at the start of the season.